Windows 10: FPS decreasing after few seconds of playing a video game

Discus and support FPS decreasing after few seconds of playing a video game in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Few days ago i have gotten a random black screen that caused this weird "bug". Whenever i start any game my fps are fine and normal but after some time... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by fildoss6, May 28, 2023.

1. fildoss6 Win User

FPS decreasing after few seconds of playing a video game

Few days ago i have gotten a random black screen that caused this weird "bug". Whenever i start any game my fps are fine and normal but after some time 30-60 seconds my fps performance gets worse and its mostly unplayable. i have tried to reinstall windows, reseted my whole pc in windows options, updated my graphic drivers, reinstalled my graphic drivers, installed every windows update possible but nothing worked. I will appreciate any help.

:)

fildoss6, May 28, 2023
  2. kirillkh Win User

FPS drops when playing video in background

I am trying to understand why I experience FPS drops in demanding games when a video is playing in background and how to fix it. My particular setup (see the specs at the bottom): two monitors in extended desktop mode, the primary monitor connected via DisplayPort to an AMD R9 390 video card, the other via DVI alternatively to the on-die Intel HD 4600 graphics output or to the R9 390's DVI output.

I will demonstrate the problem with Witcher 3 game, but the same problem occurs with at least one other game that I tried - World of Tanks (which is where the issue actually matters, as sometimes I put on music from YouTube while in game). In all the experiments below I run Witcher 3 on my primary monitor in windowed full-screen mode and measure the FPS in it with FRAPS. To guarantee stable FPS, I put the game on pause (by pressing ESC). I also set affinity of the Witcher 3 process to the first 3 cores and set the affinity of other applications to the 4th core. The CPU load has remained stable on cores 1-3 throughout the tests at 45-50%.

Baseline test when the game is not running: CPU load is at ~0% on cores 1-3 and ~5% on core 4.
    Baseline test when the game is running, but no video being played in parallel: stable 58 FPS, CPU load: ~10% on core 4.

First batch of tests: the secondary monitor is connected to the R9 390.

1. 1080p YouTube HTML5 video running on the secondary monitor (in
      Chrome or Firefox): ~48 FPS, CPU load: ~50% on core 4.
    2. The same YouTube video running on the primary monitor on top of the game:
      same results as in (1).
    3. SMPlayer playing a 1024x426 AVC video on the
      secondary monitor: ~48 FPS, CPU load: ~25% on core 4.

Second batch of tests: the secondary monitor is connected to HD 4600.

1. 1080p YouTube HTML5 video running on the secondary monitor (in Chrome or Firefox): ~44 FPS, CPU load: ~50% on core 4.
    2. The same YouTube video running on the primary monitor on top of the game: ~48 FPS, CPU load: ~50% on core 4.
    3. SMPlayer playing a 1024x426 AVC video on the secondary monitor: ~50 FPS, CPU load: ~25% on core 4.

Now, one thing I noticed is that performance varies depending on whether the game window is focused or not. The benchmarks above are given for the case when the game window is focused. If the game window is focused, I see clear choppiness in video playback (both in YouTube and in SMPlayer). If another window is focused, video playback is smooth, but game FPS drops more.

My specs: Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-4690K, Gigabyte Z97-D3H, 8Gb RAM, R9 390 video card. The primary monitor (connected to R9 390) runs at 1920x1200, the secondary at 1600x1200.

EDIT: I took a music-only YouTube and tried to play it in various resolutions from 240p to 1080p. The FPS dropped gradually from 58 to 48 FPS as I increased the resolution.

kirillkh, May 28, 2023
  3. screen flikkering and low fps when playing fullscreen games

Hi Malik,

An outdated graphics card is one of the possible reasons why you are getting low FPS when playing games on your Windows 10 device. To resolve this concern, we need to collect more information. Kindly answer the questions below:

• Are you experiencing this issue with all of your games?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have done so far?
    • Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the affected games?

Meanwhile, I recommend that you run the troubleshooter for Windows apps. This can help remove conflicts with an app from Microsoft Store. To do this, you may click the link below:

Click here

Also, I suggest that you update your graphics card. To make sure that you have the latest graphics card, it would be best to get in touch with your computer manufacturer.

Wilfred Mac, May 28, 2023
  4. FPS decreasing after few seconds of playing a video game

Gaming performance decreased significantly. UNACCEPTABLE

I am writing this because I have noticed that the performance of my pc when playing games has decreased greatly. I used to play this game with 90 FPS, but right after I updated my PC to the fall creator's update, the FPS dropped to 60. I got this while
    the laptop was plugged in and while the PC was at max performance settings. The game settings have not changed, neither have the drivers been changed nor what programs start up. NOTE: this is NOT a hardware issue. This is clearly a software issue. I am VERY
    upset with this change and it MUST be fixed.

icecubebeast, May 28, 2023
Thema:

FPS decreasing after few seconds of playing a video game

1. FPS decreasing after few seconds of playing a video game - Similar Threads - FPS decreasing few

2. FPS decreasing after few seconds of playing a video game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FPS decreasing after few seconds of playing a video game: Few days ago i have gotten a random black screen that caused this weird "bug". Whenever i start any game my fps are fine and normal but after some time 30-60 seconds my fps performance gets worse and its mostly unplayable. i have tried to reinstall windows, reseted my whole...
  3. FPS decreasing after few seconds of playing a video game

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    FPS decreasing after few seconds of playing a video game: Few days ago i have gotten a random black screen that caused this weird "bug". Whenever i start any game my fps are fine and normal but after some time 30-60 seconds my fps performance gets worse and its mostly unplayable. i have tried to reinstall windows, reseted my whole...
  4. Does fps decrease in gaming if I enable "Stream HDR Video"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does fps decrease in gaming if I enable "Stream HDR Video"?: Can anyone answer this? It is turned on by default on my PC and what are the benefits of this settings? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-fps-decrease-in-gaming-if-i-enable-stream-hdr/3f5545d4-2464-41ab-b4ec-028ccfe3c52a
  5. Does fps decrease in gaming if I enable "Stream HDR Video"?

Does fps decrease in gaming if I enable "Stream HDR Video"?: Can anyone answer this? It is turned on by default on my PC and what are the benefits of this settings? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-fps-decrease-in-gaming-if-i-enable-stream-hdr/3f5545d4-2464-41ab-b4ec-028ccfe3c52a
  6. Fps drops in-game after few hours

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fps drops in-game after few hours: Hey, I'm Bhargav Motiwala. I'm using a Lenovo L340 gaming laptop 1TB storage. I play valorant everyday and recently I upgraded to Windows 11 and now I'm facing a problem that my fps everytime drops from 120fps to 40-50fps. I have tried multiple things like changing driver...
  7. Fps drops in-game after few hours

Fps drops in-game after few hours: Hey, I'm Bhargav Motiwala. I'm using a Lenovo L340 gaming laptop 1TB storage. I play valorant everyday and recently I upgraded to Windows 11 and now I'm facing a problem that my fps everytime drops from 120fps to 40-50fps. I have tried multiple things like changing driver...
  8. BSOD after a few minutes of playing video games VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after a few minutes of playing video games VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR: I have not come across this BSOD until a week ago. It is persistent across multiple games that I play; The only common aspect between them is their use of Direct X 12, I believe. The BSOD only happens a few minutes into playing a video game, varying from 40 minutes to 5...
  9. Games crash reliably after a few seconds with "nvlddmkm" error in event log, if FPS...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games crash reliably after a few seconds with "nvlddmkm" error in event log, if FPS...: Hello there, I´ve been trying to fix this issue for a few months now without any success. If Fps arent locked, all tested games crash after just a few seconds or a minute at max. Witcher 3, Doom Eternal, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ark Survival Evolved, Shodow of War My Setup:...
  10. Sounds of laptop speakers decrease after a few seconds, but not on headset!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sounds of laptop speakers decrease after a few seconds, but not on headset!: Hey guys, I have an issue I have been struggling with for a few hours now. When I play youtube or spotify the sounds decreases to about 20% or something of the total volume in about 10 seconds. The volume mixer, system volume and the like still all state 100%, so it's not an...