Windows 10: fps drop when minecraft is fullscreen

Discus and support fps drop when minecraft is fullscreen in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; so I've been having a problem, when I turn on fullscreen or make the windowed minecraft bigger the fps drops, and when the window is smaller the fps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by ReidKraemer, Jun 9, 2021.

1. fps drop when minecraft is fullscreen

so I've been having a problem, when I turn on fullscreen or make the windowed minecraft bigger the fps drops, and when the window is smaller the fps increases. What do I have to do to fix this?. This started when I updated windows after it having been corrupted and recovered, before that everything was fine. This only happens in minecraft, nowhere else.

:)

ReidKraemer, Jun 9, 2021
  2. Nxro Win User

FPS drops when playing Minecraft in Full screen

Yesterday I updated my driver. Everything was fine, like Youtube and other apps, but whenever I try to open Minecraft in Fullscreen, my Fps drop to 2-10, and if I switch to windowed everything works properly.

I have a «GeForce GTX 1060 6Gb» graphics card.

***Modified title from: Fullscreen Lag after driver update.***

Nxro, Jun 9, 2021
  3. Dull Byte Win User
    Sudden FPS drop/Stutter

Since 2 days ago, I just turned on my Computer, and it starting having issues while I was playing Witcher 3 (starts with decent fpsm and then very low fps, dropping to 35, then 20, and stopping at 12 or so, in a matter of seconds, in a matter of 1min of starting the game), also stuttering without any high demanding programs, randomly. I was playing at 45-60 fps, without any stutters or sudden fps drop. Have tried other games the issue persists. Even setup everything to low settings.
    I have ran several tests with several tools, all seems normal, no sudden memory spikes, or temperature raising out of the ordinary, nothing that would indicate such an fps drop or stuttering.

MSI Afterburner

I also did the reset option on Windows10, completly cleaned out all my personal info from the windows partition.
    So at this point, I am not sure if it is a software issue or a hardware issue.
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Edit: I kept doing some tests to find out the issue. And this happened before and I was able to replicate it. Same thing happened as before, till I set it up to fullscreen, Alt+Tab from the game and then back to the game, FPS went up to 50 again, stable and good, dropped after a couple of seconds. After a bit it went to 2-5 fps, and I had to shutdown the game, because even the sound was getting messed up.

MSI Afterburner 2

In this image those ups and downs in the GPU usage are when the fps dropped really hard and the sound got messed up.

Dull Byte, Jun 9, 2021
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

fps drop when minecraft is fullscreen

FPS drops when playing Minecraft in Full screen

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to help you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the following details:

• Does this issue occur only while playing Minecraft?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer? To check type:
      winver in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit
      Enter.

As you have mentioned that this issue occurs in Minecraft, and if you have downloaded Minecraft from store, I suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps in the article

Fix problems with apps from Microsoft Store
    and see if that helps.

You can also refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

Method 1: Clean boot

This could be due to background apps or services taking more resources on the computer that is why you get FPS drop. We can try performing a clean boot on the computer and check if that helps in resolving the issue.

Performing a clean boot will start the computer with minimal set of drivers and programs, to determine whether a background program is causing the issue. Some of the Startup programs will not load after performing a clean boot on the computer. However,
    that functionality will return when you reset the computer to start normally after finishing the troubleshooting.

To perform a clean boot on the computer refer to the article How to perform a
    clean boot in Windows

If performing a clean boot fixes the issue then, please refer to the section
    How to determine what is causing the problem after you do a clean boot
    to check which program is causing the issue.

Note: Please refer the section Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting
    to boot the computer in to normal mode after troubleshooting.

Method 2: Rolling back driver

As you have mentioned that after updating the drivers you are facing this issue, I suggest you to try rolling back the driver. Please refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + X, and select
      Device Manager.
    2. Expand Display adapters.
    3. Right click on the NVidia Driver and select
      Properties.
    4. Navigate to the Driver tab and click on
      Roll Back Driver.
    5. Restart the computer if prompted.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 9, 2021
Thema:

fps drop when minecraft is fullscreen

1. fps drop when minecraft is fullscreen - Similar Threads - fps drop minecraft

2. Fps drops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fps drops: i have had my pc for over 2 years and there has been no problems. i recently installed a new heatsink into my system and then randomly i started having weird FPS drops where my whole pc would go to 3-5 frames for a few seconds and when i looked at event viewer it happened at...
  3. Fps drops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fps drops: When i play games on my laptop i get huge fps drops like i am playing at 165 fps it would go down to like 70 fps then go back to normal and happens every few seconds. My specs are rtx 3060 i7 12700h and 16gb...
  4. Fps drops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fps drops: Hello everyoneSo while playing games after the newest update seems like my fps drops a lot but when i run task manager and close it then everything works fine again.Maybe is that some kind of virus?...
  5. FPS Drops

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    FPS Drops: Hello! I have a windows 10 laptop and when I play games like Roblox, it always does fps drops and thats so annoying because i cant play games smoothly. Any tips to help fix fps drops without disabling the game dvr because I always use that and they say if i disable it the...
  6. Fps drops when idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fps drops when idle: When I'm idle with keyboard and mouse playing a game, after a minute, the fps drops significantly from 60 to 15 for no reason.I have tried monitoring it with the task manager but for some reason this problem goes away when I leave the task manager open in the background.In...
  7. Fps drops

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Fps drops: Recently my fps seems weird , 5-10 fps lower than usual , kinda thought it was because of the windows recent update , I'm not sure because I never had an update problem in my previous pcs , do I roll back? submitted by /u/hateswitchx [link] [comments]...
  8. FPS drop!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FPS drop!: Hello folks! at first i want to know does fps drops due to network issues? if not then i just reset my PC 2 times still my fps gets drop. And if network issue is the thing then what should i do?...
  9. FPS drops when playing Minecraft in Full screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    FPS drops when playing Minecraft in Full screen: Yesterday I updated my driver. Everything was fine, like Youtube and other apps, but whenever I try to open Minecraft in Fullscreen, my Fps drop to 2-10, and if I switch to windowed everything works properly. I have a «GeForce GTX 1060 6Gb» graphics card. ***Modified...
  10. FPS drop

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    FPS drop: Anyone know to completely remove the AMD Crimson drivers? Frame rate has gone to hell. Was pulling 42+ FPS in WoW with original drivers. Has now dropped to 10FPS under the AMD drivers. 35215