Windows 10: FR: STOP FORCEFULLY RESTARTING MY SYSTEM TO INSTALL UPDATES. I'LL DO IT WHEN I SEE FIT. ON...

Discus and support FR: STOP FORCEFULLY RESTARTING MY SYSTEM TO INSTALL UPDATES. I'LL DO IT WHEN I SEE FIT. ON... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I usually put my system to sleep when at night or when I'm not using it, and shut it down about once a week—if that. Windows 10 has recently been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Feidaman, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Feidaman Win User

FR: STOP FORCEFULLY RESTARTING MY SYSTEM TO INSTALL UPDATES. I'LL DO IT WHEN I SEE FIT. ON...

I usually put my system to sleep when at night or when I'm not using it, and shut it down about once a week—if that.

Windows 10 has recently been bugging me to shut down to install an update. I've been busy working on something so it was never a convenient time to shut down. Just five minutes ago I got a very intrusive prompt, one of those that hogs the entire screen, impatiently telling me that it was time to install the stupid update. Windows had waited enough days and it couldn't wait no more.

Before this prompt came other prompts that gave me the option to "do it later", which usually meant "remind me again tomorrow and I'll tell you to wait again", but this time the best available option was to delay it one hour—fine by me: one hour it is. Went off to the bathroom, and when I come back I see the Windows 10 login screen. Huh? OK, maybe Windows has locked the desktop, though it's weird as I've set this to happen after 15 minutes of inactivity, not a couple of minutes. I log in and my jaw drops: the taskbar is EMPTY. My systems has restarted while I was emptying my bladder.

What good is giving the user the option to restart in an hour if Windows decides to restart after two minutes? Good thing I save my work regularly and the only work I've lost this time that's right, it's not the first time this has happened is a couple of lines of text in Notepad I was using as a scratchpad.

Here's an outlandish feature request for MS: How about you stop bugging people to restart their systems to install an update? I get it, updates are for our own good, and I'm not completely against automatic updates, but PLEASE let users decide WHEN to restart their systems. Trust me, every system on the planet is eventually restarted. It might take a couple of days, or week, or two, but it WILL EVENTUALLY HAPPEN. Just download the update package, and let it sit on the hard drive until the user voluntarily restarts their system. It's that simple. If the system is not working properly, I'm pretty sure users will be more than happy to restart ASAP to see if the update fixes anything. If the system is otherwise working fine, what's the urgency? Users will restart their machine when they feel they don't have work-in-progress going on and it's a good time to do it, because they will EVENTUALLY do it of their own accord. We are responsible adults. We will do it. Trust us. Seriously now.

Windows 7 used to be a very "static" OS. It would sit there quietly waiting for my commands. Windows 10 is NEEDY. It's constantly demanding attention like a spoilt child. I don't think professionals need this. Please.

:)

Feidaman, Jun 19, 2020
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond FR: STOP FORCEFULLY RESTARTING MY SYSTEM TO INSTALL UPDATES. I'LL DO IT WHEN I SEE FIT. ON... :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jun 19, 2020
  3. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Jun 19, 2020
  4. FR: STOP FORCEFULLY RESTARTING MY SYSTEM TO INSTALL UPDATES. I'LL DO IT WHEN I SEE FIT. ON...

Windows 10 restarts forcefully to install updates

So last night I was doing some important work and luckily saved it while doing the work. I needed that file urgently but my PC decides to restart automatically just to install some updates that take ages to install. I tried aborting the install by holding
    the power button and shutting it down completely. It has happened earlier as well and is a pain.

Is there a way I could just stop the forceful updates and install them whenever I have the time (and patience) to install them.

I really like Windows but Windows 10 is just too annoying and slow at startup as well, even though many of the useless softwares that hog up memory have been disabled so that they don't slow down the overall performance. Suggest me something regarding this
    issue.

Viraj Madaan, Jun 19, 2020
Thema:

FR: STOP FORCEFULLY RESTARTING MY SYSTEM TO INSTALL UPDATES. I'LL DO IT WHEN I SEE FIT. ON...

1. FR: STOP FORCEFULLY RESTARTING MY SYSTEM TO INSTALL UPDATES. I'LL DO IT WHEN I SEE FIT. ON... - Similar Threads - STOP FORCEFULLY RESTARTING

2. Microsoft System Update forced restarts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft System Update forced restarts: This:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-pro-need-absolute-control-over-restarts/502c417e-63e7-4474-8fbe-2239a3ab295a?from=ContactUsWebBCQR&CorrelationId=83e0420d-5297-4310-9bcc-b8c7b8d53646There have been many requests for this. No answers, only...
  3. Microsoft System Update forced restarts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft System Update forced restarts: This:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-pro-need-absolute-control-over-restarts/502c417e-63e7-4474-8fbe-2239a3ab295a?from=ContactUsWebBCQR&CorrelationId=83e0420d-5297-4310-9bcc-b8c7b8d53646There have been many requests for this. No answers, only...
  4. Forced Update 21H2 , How do I stop it ???

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Forced Update 21H2 , How do I stop it ???: For some reason my computer decided to download the 21H2 Update which I DID NOT WANT ! , it is now wanting to restart to finish installing , how to I stop it from completing the update and how do I prevent it from installing EVER ??? , it was only sitting there and allowing...
  5. Forced Update 21H2 , How do I stop it ???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Forced Update 21H2 , How do I stop it ???: For some reason my computer decided to download the 21H2 Update which I DID NOT WANT ! , it is now wanting to restart to finish installing , how to I stop it from completing the update and how do I prevent it from installing EVER ??? , it was only sitting there and allowing...
  6. Forced Update 21H2 , How do I stop it ???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. When will Microsoft stop forcing update restarts?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    When will Microsoft stop forcing update restarts?: It doesn't benefit the user or Microsoft to do an automatic reboot. It can wait until the user happens to reboot, or a popup can tell the user to please reboot at their earliest convenience. With Windows updates, you can't stop them, you can't opt out. Even if you hack...
  8. why when i do a computer restart does it then not restart forcing me to force shut down the...

in Windows 10 Customization
    why when i do a computer restart does it then not restart forcing me to force shut down the...: goes thru restart process but doesn't fire itself back up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-when-i-do-a-computer-restart-does-it-then-not/20da37ba-7a95-455f-b530-3bde6a8ff257
  9. When will Mircosoft stop the forced restart?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    When will Mircosoft stop the forced restart?: I have tried many suggestions with nothing working. It is a monthly occurrence whenever an update happens next thing i know my pc has restarted and ive lost data, work, and time which is permanent and cause so many difficulties. I can put up with persistent reminders while im...
  10. Updates... Then forcefully restart

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates... Then forcefully restart: Forcing updates is one thing. Forcing a restart is another - and completely unacceptable. Until now I have been able to reschedule the restart. Today it just restarted while I was working. Bug? Intentionally? I will not give Microsoft long to change this behavior....