Windows 10: FRC, Dithering, modified blanking etc with win 10 but not with win 7 on same hardware?

Discus and support FRC, Dithering, modified blanking etc with win 10 but not with win 7 on same hardware? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I do hope someone here will be able to help me find a solution so I will be able to use the computer again. Should I replace the monitor or the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by N-Str, Sep 14, 2019.

1. N-Str Win User

FRC, Dithering, modified blanking etc with win 10 but not with win 7 on same hardware?

Hi,

I do hope someone here will be able to help me find a solution so I will be able to use the computer again. Should I replace the monitor or the GPU in order to be able to use Windows 10? Or is there really no solution but reverting to Windows 7?

I am highly sensitive to various sources of visual instability/ 'dancing pixels' / flicker such as CRT's low refresh rates, LCD's dithering, FRC etc. These lead to eyestrain, nausea, headaches and other symptoms.

Until recently I had Windows 7 home premium SP1(64-bit), 16-color depth, on the following hardware, and had no eye strain or other symptoms.

Hardware specifications:

Display (true 8-bit IPS, CCFL backlighting) NEC MultiSync LCD2490WUXi2, 1920x1200, DVI-D cable

Motherboard ASUS P8H77-M / CSM​

Processor Intel i5-3470 CPU@ 3.20GHz 6MB 1155 QUAD​

RAM 8GB (2x4 DDR3)​

GPU Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 1GB

I am not a gamer, nor do I watch videos. Yet, for some reason in all previous computers, the onboard Graphics or simple Graphic cards did present the 1920x1200 resolution, but the dedicated GPU improved something, and helped me avoid the eye strain and other symptoms.​

About a month ago, I added an SSD hard drive, and a clean install of windows 10 (64-bit) on this SSD. I have installed all the relevant updates and tried to change various settings. However, since I installed Windows 10, I can hardly look at the display. I have eye strain, nausea, headaches, and all other symptoms.

I consulted whoever I could, but I have not been able to solve the problem. I have no technical background.

I consulted whoever I could, but I have no technical background. Therefore, I apologize for using 'lake' terms rather than technical ones, as well as for providing the following information which may not irrelevant or inaccurate.

I would appreciate it if someone would be able to note whether the following is correct:

a. A true 8-bit IPS display should be able to cope with 32-bit color depth without dithering, FRC etc, if it gets the 'right input'.

b. However, it is possible that the display does not get the 'right input' from windows 10, because of issues that are related to the fact that whereas Windows 7 supported also 16-bit-color depth, Windows 10 supports 32-bit color depth.

c. The problem may be associated with the desktop windows manager (DWM), that works differently, and which cannot be disabled or something like that.

d. If the issue is indeed caused by the way Windows 10 provides the information to the display, then a 10-bit display or a different GPU will not solve the problem and the bottom line is that I cannot use Windows 10.

I do not know what Windows 10 does (dithering, FRC, PWM, Blanking, FPS, refresh rate, or some other terms I am also not familiar with?) which causes my problems.

I really hope someone will be able to help me:

Should I replace the monitor or the GPU in order to be able to use Windows 10?

Or is there really no solution but reverting to Windows 7?

Thanks!​

:)

N-Str, Sep 14, 2019
  2. N-Str Win User

FRC, Dithering, modified blanking etc with win 10 but not with win 7 on same hardware?

Hi,

I do hope someone here will be able to help me find a solution so I will be able to use the computer again. Should I replace the monitor or the GPU in order to be able to use Windows 10? Or is there really
    no solution but reverting to Windows 7?

I am highly sensitive to various sources of visual instability/ 'dancing pixels' / flicker such as CRT's low refresh rates, LCD's dithering, FRC etc. These lead to eyestrain, nausea, headaches and other symptoms.

Until recently I had Windows 7 home premium SP1(64-bit),
    16-color depth, on the following hardware, and had no eye strain or other symptoms.

Hardware specifications:

Display (true 8-bit IPS, CCFL backlighting) NEC MultiSync LCD2490WUXi2, 1920x1200, DVI-D cable

Motherboard ASUS P8H77-M / CSM

Processor Intel i5-3470 CPU@ 3.20GHz 6MB 1155 QUAD

RAM 8GB (2x4 DDR3)

I am not a gamer, nor do I watch videos. Yet, for some reason in all previous computers, the onboard Graphics or simple Graphic cards did present the 1920x1200 resolution, but the dedicated GPU improved something, and helped
    me avoid the eye strain and other symptoms.

About a month ago, I added an SSD hard drive, and a clean install of windows 10
    (64-bit) on this SSD. I have installed all the relevant updates and tried to change various settings. However, since I installed Windows 10,
    I can hardly look at the display. I have eye strain, nausea, headaches, and all other symptoms.

I consulted whoever I could, but I have not been able to solve the problem. I have no technical background.

I consulted whoever I could, but I have no technical background. Therefore, I apologize for using 'lake' terms rather than technical ones, as well as for providing the following information which may not
    irrelevant or inaccurate.

I would appreciate it if someone would be able to note whether the following is correct:

a.
    A true 8-bit IPS display should be able to cope with 32-bit color depth without dithering, FRC etc, if it gets the 'right input'.

b.
    However, it is possible that the display does not get the 'right input' from windows 10, because of issues that are related to the fact that whereas Windows 7 supported also 16-bit-color depth, Windows 10 supports
    32-bit color depth.

c.
    The problem may be associated with the desktop windows manager (DWM), that works differently, and which cannot be disabled or something like that.

d.
    If the issue is indeed caused by the way Windows 10 provides the information to the display, then a 10-bit display or a different GPU will not solve the problem and the bottom line is that I cannot use Windows

I do not know what Windows 10 does (dithering, FRC, PWM, Blanking, FPS, refresh rate, or some other terms I am also not familiar with?) which causes my problems.

Thanks!

N-Str, Sep 25, 2019
  3. N-Str Win User

Hi,

I do hope someone here will be able to help me find a solution so I will be able to use the computer again. Should I replace the monitor or the GPU in order to be able to use Windows 10? Or is there really
    no solution but reverting to Windows 7?

Until recently I had Windows 7 home premium SP1(64-bit),
    16-color depth, on the following hardware, and had no eye strain or other symptoms.

Hardware specifications:

Motherboard ASUS P8H77-M / CSM

Processor Intel i5-3470 CPU@ 3.20GHz 6MB 1155 QUAD

RAM 8GB (2x4 DDR3)

I am not a gamer, nor do I watch videos. Yet, for some reason in all previous computers, the onboard Graphics or simple Graphic cards did present the 1920x1200 resolution, but the dedicated GPU improved something, and helped
    me avoid the eye strain and other symptoms.

About a month ago, I added an SSD hard drive, and a clean install of windows 10
    (64-bit) on this SSD. I have installed all the relevant updates and tried to change various settings. However, since I installed Windows 10,
    I can hardly look at the display. I have eye strain, nausea, headaches, and all other symptoms.

I consulted whoever I could, but I have no technical background. Therefore, I apologize for using 'lake' terms rather than technical ones, as well as for providing the following information which may not
    irrelevant or inaccurate.

a.
    A true 8-bit IPS display should be able to cope with 32-bit color depth without dithering, FRC etc, if it gets the 'right input'.

b.
    However, it is possible that the display does not get the 'right input' from windows 10, because of issues that are related to the fact that whereas Windows 7 supported also 16-bit-color depth, Windows 10 supports
    32-bit color depth.

c.
    The problem may be associated with the desktop windows manager (DWM), that works differently, and which cannot be disabled or something like that.

d.
    If the issue is indeed caused by the way Windows 10 provides the information to the display, then a 10-bit display or a different GPU will not solve the problem and the bottom line is that I cannot use Windows

Thanks!

N-Str, Sep 25, 2019
  4. adoornik Win User

Win 7 and Win 10 on network

I have home network with separate modem, router, and WAP's. My Windows 7 computer does NOT list the Windows 10 computers on network computer list but the Windows 10 computers network list DO list the Windows 7 computer.

Turned off firewalls, gave permissions, shared drives. Nothing allows Win 7 computer to access the Win 10 computers.

Any suggestions for a fix?

adoornik, Sep 25, 2019
Thema:

1. FRC, Dithering, modified blanking etc with win 10 but not with win 7 on same hardware? - Similar Threads - FRC Dithering modified

2. Zip file will not work in Win 10. But same file works fine in Win Win 7

in Windows 10 Customization
    Zip file will not work in Win 10. But same file works fine in Win Win 7: I downloaded a file from Canon for my new printer. I believe the fle is self extracting, but when I click on the file I get the following error message: 'Zip File is damaged or truncated'. When I try the same downloaded Canon file on my Win 7 PC, it works fine. Help,...
  3. Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 7 to Win 10: I have the Windows 7 home edition. by the time I changed it to Win 10 and then due a virus I formatted my disks. Right now, I want to activate the win 10 new installation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-to-win-10/d8f511b9-2035-4fc5-aa6b-b48dfce47dcc
  4. is hardware OK (Win 7) for upgrade to windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    is hardware OK (Win 7) for upgrade to windows 10: I download Windows media creator tool - run it - accepted terms - and got to point of two options UPGRADE this PC now Create media(DVD, USB stick, ISO) 1 Is hardware OK (Win 7) for an upgrade to windows 10 for this PC??? Or to see any problems with hardware --- I have to...
  5. Win 7 to win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 7 to win 10: Can i transfer old computer win 7 to new win 10 computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-to-win-10/ea48f987-32d1-4b38-9a63-726bfffde42b"
  6. Is win 10 file/folder structure the same as Win 7 Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Is win 10 file/folder structure the same as Win 7 Pro: Just set up or second Win 10 system...intact, activated and operating. Now...I have all photos-doces-etc from old Win 7 Pro on an Acronis 2013 image file Question is...to restore doc-photos etc to new 10 setup...will all "folders" match according ly to the Win 10 and...
  7. win 10 is for win 7 or win 8.1

win 10 is for win 7 or win 8.1: when i try to install win 10 i get win 10 is for win 7 or win 8.1 my laptop came install with win 8.1,rtied 3 times to install,same message.thanks for any help,maty 20636
  8. win 7 to win 10

win 7 to win 10: hello,im having the icon down the task bar for reserve my win 10,i did it in advance,but what benefits i get?is it a full version or a trial?do i get updates?do i have to install it on win 7 just an upgrade?can i reverse to win 7?do i have any setup for further use? hope...
  9. win 10 corrupts win 7

in Windows 10 Support
    win 10 corrupts win 7: I installed win 10 tech preview on a new hard drive installed in a 2nd bay in my HP 7-1010 pc. The original drive has win 7 on it. My intention was to have win 10 on a separate drive so win 7 would not be affected at all should something go wrong. Twice now when I try to boot...
  10. Win 7 pictures (JPG, etc.) not readable in Win 10 ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 7 pictures (JPG, etc.) not readable in Win 10 ?: All the picture/images I created or downloaded in Windows 7 are unreadable in Windows 10 (or in Windows 8). When I try to open them in Windows 10 or in an image viewer app in Windows 10 I get an "Unknown Format". Does anyone know how I can properly access them in Windows 10...