Windows 10: Free antivirus scanners for Windows PCs

Discus and support Free antivirus scanners for Windows PCs in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Is your system riddled with viruses? Your antivirus program out of date? Need a decent – but free – security program for a loved one who doesn't see... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Free antivirus scanners for Windows PCs

Read more: Free antivirus scanners for Windows PCs | ZDNet

:)

Brink, Jan 9, 2015

2. Upgrading Win 7 Pro to Win 10

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Suggest you to perform a full pc virus scan on the system to ensure that the pc is free from virus.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

Microsoft Safety Scanner:
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is not a replacement for using an antivirus software program that provides ongoing protection.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Jan 9, 2015
  3. Monkey57 Win User
    Defender Protection

Only one realtime scanner should be used at one time, most antivirus will disable Windows Defender when its installed. Consider having additional scanners, like malwarebyes. It is not a realtime scanner if you use the free version, but it will work with
    other antivirus scanners, if you have the non-Free version.

If you want to scan with sophos, and use Windows Defender, please consider:

Using the Sophos Bootable Anti-Virus (SBAV) tool on an infected computer - Sophos Community

or

their virus removal tool:

Free Security Tools for Windows, Mac, Android | Free Firewall and Linux AV Security Tool Downloads | Sophos

Monkey57, Jan 9, 2015
  4. Free antivirus scanners for Windows PCs

Not a very good list,
    Panda is actually the best but not compatible with 10 yet does not cleanly uninstall meaning defender is very difficult to turn back on,
    Otherwise mbam was the only real top 6
    I doubt that will be a valid solo security recommend either unless mbam premium is next to it providing real time protection
    Cheers.

ThrashZone, Jan 9, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    I think I'll stick with defender for now. It's worked fine for me with Win8 and Win10 so far.

BunnyJ, Jan 9, 2015
  6. Trust_No1 Win User
    None are great in my opinion, but, I use Defender in conjunction with Malwarebytes (MBAM).

MBAM is the only one that can run side-by-side with Defender, and have no appreciable conflicts.

Trust_No1, Jan 10, 2015
  7. gzt7d8 Win User
    I agree, I don't have any important information/data on the drive that I have Win 10 installed on. I'll protect it after I get the OOB version.

gzt7d8, Jan 11, 2015
  8. groze Win User

Anybody know about Comodo Cleaning? Does it work for Windows 7?

groze, Jan 13, 2015
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Stupid question time *Smile How do I actually see the list? I don't have or want a ZDnet account.

Ztruker, Jan 14, 2015
  10. groze Win User
    Ztruker
    It is a little crazy the way they did it. You need click on each thumbnail picture under the big picture.

groze, Jan 14, 2015
  11. I do believe that the anti virus program companies are waiting for the next W-10 to come out for review.
    They need to see that before writing a bunch of code.

I will probably still use Defender until it proves it's self to be unsatisfactory.

Layback Bear, Jan 14, 2015
  12. jeffrys Win User
    Using Defender myself on all computers and like it.

I disagree that Panda is very good, but can only speak for the free version.

Had a virus some years ago, in my pst.file and Panda could not remove the record, so the full file was deleted...

Was the free version...

But Bitdefender removed the single record with ease.

Jeff

jeffrys, Jan 15, 2015
  13. Free antivirus scanners for Windows PCs

ClamWin is free and open source. I found it a bit quirky. But the last time I tried it was a couple of years back.

Edit: List of supported OS stops with W8.

MilesAhead, Jan 15, 2015
  14. waltc Win User
    Yes, MSE (now just Defender in Win8 & >) has done a great job for me for the past decade or more. (Before MSE there was Windows Live One Care which morphed into MSE, which morphed into Defender in Win8 & >.) It is minimally invasive and has a very small resource-consumption footprint and has caught everything my machines have encountered with the huge blessing of pretty-much no false positives (unlike I saw with MalwareBytes, which labeled orphaned registry text strings as "possible malware.") I average a definition update a day, if not more frequently, which seems to mean they're staying on top of things.

waltc, Jan 15, 2015
  15. LMiller7 Win User
    Please note that the ZDNet article linked to by Brink does not mention Windows 10. That is very important to understand.

I think at the present time it would be best to avoid all third party security software on Windows 10. You should never use such software on an OS it has not been advertised as compatible with. Nobody can honestly claim full compatibility with an OS that is in a state of active development and I am not aware of any that have made such claims. I expect that few have even seriously looked into compatibility issues at this time. The compatibility issues inherent with security software are far more serious than with most other software.

After Windows 10 has been officially released and security software advertises compatibility it can then be seriously considered.

This has been discussed in this thread:
    Warning - Do NOT use norton with windows 10

LMiller7, Jan 15, 2015
Thema:

1. Free antivirus scanners for Windows PCs - Similar Threads - Free antivirus scanners

2. Avira Free Antivirus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Avira Free Antivirus: If I want to uninstall avira free, how do I reinstall? There has avira removal tool to uninstall but no reinstall avira after uninstall avira free using the tool but malwarebytes has support tool to uninstall and reinstall but avira free don't have. I'm too lazy to go to...
  3. Adaware Free Antivirus

Adaware Free Antivirus: Do you know about adaware antivirus? If after I install adaware free antivirus, is real-time protection enabled blocks my genshin impact game files and makes my genshin launcher can't launched in my external disk?...
  4. Free Antivirus for the Windows 11

Free Antivirus for the Windows 11: Which free antivirus software is best for Windows 11?[Original Title: Antivirus] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/free-antivirus-for-the-windows-11/9374fa90-c23a-442d-8cfe-66a194a68286
  5. COMPATIBILTY OF 360 ANTIVIRUS WITH BITDEFNDER FREE ANTIVIRUS

COMPATIBILTY OF 360 ANTIVIRUS WITH BITDEFNDER FREE ANTIVIRUS: Hey, I use bitdefender free antivirus...., which almost protects me from all king of threats... Last week I found a malware attached to a text file, which bitdefender was not able to detect ..So, I came to know about an antivirus known as 360 antivirus Now my question is...
  6. Free antivirus software

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Free antivirus software: What is the best free antivirus software for Windows 10? submitted by /u/RandomPupper [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hboja0/free_antivirus_software/
  7. free antivirus

free antivirus: Does any user recommend a free safe and effective virus scan and remover? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/free-antivirus/d94a80f9-b74b-4ff2-9bbe-5f54d6106b66
  8. Free antivirus in 2019?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Free antivirus in 2019?: Hey gents, I'm not so great with computers and such so I need a bit of guidance. I'd like to know if any of you guys could personally recommend any free antivirus software. I googled it first but the results didnt seem too trustworthy, any advice would is helpful :)...
  9. Free malware scanners

Free malware scanners: just a word of warning on free scanners. I have Free Malwarebytes its suggested by Techies to have a second opinion scanner even though Windows Security is now very good. Over recent times Ive uninstalled it on the Apps section no problem but ending up downloading it again...
  10. free cleaner , antivirus

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    free cleaner , antivirus: My computer needs to be cleaned. Can you help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/free-cleaner-antivirus/82b75fed-9ce9-42c6-8d03-84291271c9e6