Windows 10: Free antivirus scanners for Windows PCs

Discus and support Free antivirus scanners for Windows PCs in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Am I missing something? *Huh I thought that was to point to test all software including virus protection software, not just what Microsoft provides. In... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 9, 2015.

1. groze Win User

Free antivirus scanners for Windows PCs

Am I missing something? *Huh I thought that was to point to test all software including virus protection software, not just what Microsoft provides. In fact, Microsoft claims that the software you use on Windows 7 will work with windows 10 unless that has change as well.

Technically, Windows 10 is a virus-in-a-way because it reports back to Microsoft. So, Norton's got it right but just didn't now how to fix it correctly.

groze, Jan 15, 2015
  2. BunnyJ New Member

True but you have to keep in mind that the AV makers have not likely tested their product with Win10 yet. So, it's best to wait until they do.

IMO, YMMV

BunnyJ, Jan 15, 2015
  3. LMiller7 Win User
    Trying a third party application to see how it operates on Windows 10 is one thing. Trusting a third party AV product to provide protection from malware on Windows 10 is something entirely different. That was the entire point of my post.

The statement by Microsoft is very broad and general in nature. It does not mean that 100% of applications that run on Windows 8 will run on Windows 10. Windows 10 obviously has made many changes from Windows 8. Microsoft has learned from long experience that even the most trivial changes can and has broken applications. That includes optimizations, code cleanup, and even bug fixes. Even popular applications from major suppliers have had such problems. And I must emphasize, the compatibility constraints for an AV product are far more stringent than for normal software. Even serious problems may be completely unnoticed by users.

LMiller7, Jan 15, 2015
  4. groze Win User

LMiller7 and Jeff, Thank you. *Smile

groze, Jan 15, 2015
  5. Vladimir Win User
    I have Avast Premium on two rigs. All others, including Win10 ones, have Defender and I'm happy with it !

*Smile

Vladimir, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Free antivirus scanners for Windows PCs - Similar Threads - Free antivirus scanners

2. Avira Free Antivirus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Avira Free Antivirus: If I want to uninstall avira free, how do I reinstall? There has avira removal tool to uninstall but no reinstall avira after uninstall avira free using the tool but malwarebytes has support tool to uninstall and reinstall but avira free don't have. I'm too lazy to go to...
  3. Adaware Free Antivirus

Adaware Free Antivirus: Do you know about adaware antivirus? If after I install adaware free antivirus, is real-time protection enabled blocks my genshin impact game files and makes my genshin launcher can't launched in my external disk?...
  4. Free Antivirus for the Windows 11

Free Antivirus for the Windows 11: Which free antivirus software is best for Windows 11?[Original Title: Antivirus] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/free-antivirus-for-the-windows-11/9374fa90-c23a-442d-8cfe-66a194a68286
  5. COMPATIBILTY OF 360 ANTIVIRUS WITH BITDEFNDER FREE ANTIVIRUS

COMPATIBILTY OF 360 ANTIVIRUS WITH BITDEFNDER FREE ANTIVIRUS: Hey, I use bitdefender free antivirus...., which almost protects me from all king of threats... Last week I found a malware attached to a text file, which bitdefender was not able to detect ..So, I came to know about an antivirus known as 360 antivirus Now my question is...
  6. Free antivirus software

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Free antivirus software: What is the best free antivirus software for Windows 10? submitted by /u/RandomPupper [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hboja0/free_antivirus_software/
  7. free antivirus

free antivirus: Does any user recommend a free safe and effective virus scan and remover? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/free-antivirus/d94a80f9-b74b-4ff2-9bbe-5f54d6106b66
  8. Free antivirus in 2019?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Free antivirus in 2019?: Hey gents, I'm not so great with computers and such so I need a bit of guidance. I'd like to know if any of you guys could personally recommend any free antivirus software. I googled it first but the results didnt seem too trustworthy, any advice would is helpful :)...
  9. Free malware scanners

Free malware scanners: just a word of warning on free scanners. I have Free Malwarebytes its suggested by Techies to have a second opinion scanner even though Windows Security is now very good. Over recent times Ive uninstalled it on the Apps section no problem but ending up downloading it again...
  10. free cleaner , antivirus

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    free cleaner , antivirus: My computer needs to be cleaned. Can you help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/free-cleaner-antivirus/82b75fed-9ce9-42c6-8d03-84291271c9e6