Windows 10: Free File Sync unable to write to some files.

Discus and support Free File Sync unable to write to some files. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I recently updated Free File Sync from v10.17 to v10.25. and started to get a write problem to Pictures and Videos files. My set up is C: to D:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Whatsisname, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Free File Sync unable to write to some files.

I recently updated Free File Sync from v10.17 to v10.25. and started to get a write problem to Pictures and Videos files.
    My set up is C: to D: Real-time and D: to F: Batch to external hard-drive. Win 10 Home v 1909. OS build 18363.900

Completed with errors
    Errors:

Warnings:

Items processed:

0 (0 bytes)
    Total time:

00:00:09
    Errors and warnings:
    19:12:29

Cannot set directory locks for the following folders:
    Cannot write file "C:\Users\owner\Pictures\sync.ffs_lock".
    ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND: The system cannot find the file specified. [CreateFile]
    Cannot write file "C:\Users\owner\Videos\sync.ffs_lock".
    19:12:37

Cannot write file "C:\Users\owner\Videos\sync.ffs_db.592b.ffs_tmp".
    19:12:38

Cannot write file "C:\Users\owner\Pictures\sync.ffs_db.bd30.ffs_tmp".

Using non-default global settings:
    Copy locked files - Enabled

19:12:31

Synchronizing folder pair: Mirror ->
    C:\Users\owner\Desktop\Js Folder
    D:\Users\owner\Desktop\Js Folder

C:\Users\owner\Desktop\Ds Folder
    D:\Users\owner\Desktop\Ds Folder

C:\Users\owner\Desktop\Ds Folder
    D:\Users\owner\Desktop\Ds Folder

C:\Users\owner\Desktop\Cs Folder
    D:\Users\owner\Desktop\Cs Folder

C:\Users\owner\Videos
    D:\Users\owner\Videos

C:\Users\owner\Pictures
    D:\Users\owner\Pictures

Debug Log
    Debug Log
    [0710/115614.587:ERROR:file_io_win.cc(179)] CreateFile C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Crashpad\settings.dat: Access is denied. (0x5)
    [0710/115614.587:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc(131)] TransactNamedPipe: The pipe has been ended. (0x6D)
    [0710/115614.587:ERROR:file_io_win.cc(179)] CreateFile C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Crashpad\settings.dat: Access is denied. (0x5)
    [0710/115634.026:ERROR:file_io_win.cc(179)] CreateFile C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Crashpad\settings.dat: Access is denied. (0x5)
    [0710/115634.026:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc(131)] TransactNamedPipe: The pipe has been ended. (0x6D)
    [0710/115634.041:ERROR:file_io_win.cc(179)] CreateFile C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Crashpad\settings.dat: Access is denied. (0x5)
    [0710/115745.282:ERROR:file_io_win.cc(179)] CreateFile C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Crashpad\settings.dat: Access is denied. (0x5)
    [0710/115745.282:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc(131)] TransactNamedPipe: The pipe has been ended. (0x6D)
    [0710/115745.282:ERROR:file_io_win.cc(179)] CreateFile C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Crashpad\settings.dat: Access is denied. (0x5)
    [0711/100336.452:ERROR:file_io_win.cc(179)] CreateFile C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Crashpad\settings.dat: Access is denied. (0x5)
    [0711/100336.467:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc(131)] TransactNamedPipe: The pipe has been ended. (0x6D)
    [0711/100336.467:ERROR:file_io_win.cc(179)] CreateFile C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Crashpad\settings.dat: Access is denied. (0x5)
    [0711/101424.617:ERROR:file_io_win.cc(179)] CreateFile C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Crashpad\settings.dat: Access is denied. (0x5)
    [0711/101424.617:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc(131)] TransactNamedPipe: The pipe has been ended. (0x6D)
    [0711/101424.617:ERROR:file_io_win.cc(179)] CreateFile C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Crashpad\settings.dat: Access is denied. (0x5)

I Press retry on the last warning pop-up and a taskbar FFS logo hover shows:- Directory monitoring activeReal-time.
    At that point it works on everything correctly, excluding write permissions to Pictures and Videos.

There has been no trouble with personal files shortcuts from desktop, tested OK, log shows completion OK. Log has no more info than screens shown above

I have tried the following;
    Checked address C and D entries are addressed correctly
    Run as administrator from FFS desktop shortcut throughout,
    Run as administrator from both real time and batch settings .exe direct
    Completely uninstalled RTS v10.25 Fresh installed v10.17, exactly the same occurring.
    Completely uninstalled RTS v10.17 Fresh installed v10.25, exactly the same occurring.
    Put Pictures and Videos shortcuts on desktop and entered the folders from there, hovered over FFS logo when hung up on Waiting until directory is available, deleted shortcuts.
    Given network read and write access to everyone.
    Tried to remove these two files from Protected folders but not allowed.
    Run the three DISM health checks
    Tried to run several window diagnostic trouble shooters but all fail with "An unexpected error occurred"
    Error code 0x80300113. Source:- Engine. Context:- Restricted. (Perhaps an unrelated problem, if this cannot be resolved on this post I will start another after a search)

Batch settings
    Comparison:- File Time and Size. Synchronization:- Mirror
    FFS tools > file option; only fail-safe file copy is ticked.
    Filters:- include *
    Exclude;
    \System Volume Information\
    \$Recycle.Bin\
    \RECYCLE?\
    *\desktop.ini

Settings:- Real Time:- Normally on startup.
    Command line:- "C:\Program Files\ FreeFileSync\FreeFileSync.exe" "C:\Users\owner\FreeFileSyncSavedControl\FreeFileSyncCtoD\SyncSettings.ffs_batch"

I am beginning to think that Pictures and Videos might have some global protection from write access as libraries or are too high in the file root and are considered as some sort of system folder, their being entered on the same folder as C:,D:, E: etc. when opening This PC Shortcut.
    Another thought is that there is a global setting somewhere that might enable FFS in particular to write access to these two folders.

Given all the hassle of it starting, the log shows the two files are successfully copied, I have run as far as I am personally able.

Any help would be gratefully received whilst I still have hair to pull out!

:)

Whatsisname, Jul 11, 2020

2. Free File Sync unable to write to some files.

I recently updated Free File Sync from v10.17 to v10.25. and started to get a write problem to Pictures and Videos files.
    My set up is “C: to D: Real-time” and “D: to F: Batch to external hard-drive”. Win 10 Home v 1909. OS build 18363.900

Completed with errors
    Errors:

Warnings:

Items processed:

0 (0 bytes)
    Total time:

00:00:09
    Errors and warnings:

Using non-default global settings:
    Copy locked files - Enabled

C:\Users\owner\Desktop\J’s Folder
    D:\Users\owner\Desktop\J’s Folder

C:\Users\owner\Desktop\D’s Folder
    D:\Users\owner\Desktop\D’s Folder

C:\Users\owner\Desktop\D’s Folder
    D:\Users\owner\Desktop\D’s Folder

C:\Users\owner\Desktop\C’s Folder
    D:\Users\owner\Desktop\C’s Folder

C:\Users\owner\Videos
    D:\Users\owner\Videos

C:\Users\owner\Pictures
    D:\Users\owner\Pictures

Debug Log
    Debug Log
    [0710/115614.587:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc(131)] TransactNamedPipe: The pipe has been ended. (0x6D)
    [0710/115634.026:ERROR:file_io_win.cc(179)] CreateFile C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Crashpad\settings.dat: Access is denied. (0x5)
    [0710/115634.026:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc(131)] TransactNamedPipe: The pipe has been ended. (0x6D)
    [0710/115634.041:ERROR:file_io_win.cc(179)] CreateFile C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Crashpad\settings.dat: Access is denied. (0x5)
    [0710/115745.282:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc(131)] TransactNamedPipe: The pipe has been ended. (0x6D)
    [0711/100336.452:ERROR:file_io_win.cc(179)] CreateFile C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Crashpad\settings.dat: Access is denied. (0x5)
    [0711/100336.467:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc(131)] TransactNamedPipe: The pipe has been ended. (0x6D)
    [0711/100336.467:ERROR:file_io_win.cc(179)] CreateFile C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Crashpad\settings.dat: Access is denied. (0x5)
    [0711/101424.617:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc(131)] TransactNamedPipe: The pipe has been ended. (0x6D)

I Press retry on the last warning pop-up and a taskbar FFS logo hover shows:- Directory monitoring active”Real-time”.
    At that point it works on everything correctly, excluding write permissions to Pictures and Videos.

There has been no trouble with personal files shortcuts from desktop, tested OK, log shows completion OK. Log has no more info than screens shown above

I have tried the following;
    Checked address C and D entries are addressed correctly
    Run as administrator from FFS desktop shortcut throughout,
    Run as administrator from both real time and batch settings .exe direct
    Completely uninstalled RTS v10.25 Fresh installed v10.17, exactly the same occurring.
    Completely uninstalled RTS v10.17 Fresh installed v10.25, exactly the same occurring.
    Put Pictures and Videos shortcuts on desktop and entered the folders from there, hovered over FFS logo when hung up on “Waiting until directory is available”, deleted shortcuts.
    Given network read and write access to everyone.
    Tried to remove these two files from Protected folders but not allowed.
    Run the three DISM health checks
    Tried to run several window diagnostic trouble shooters but all fail with "An unexpected error occurred"
    Error code 0x80300113. Source:- Engine. Context:- Restricted. (Perhaps an unrelated problem, if this cannot be resolved on this post I will start another after a search)

Batch settings
    Comparison:- File Time and Size. Synchronization:- Mirror
    FFS tools > file option; only fail-safe file copy is ticked.
    Filters:- include *
    Exclude;
    \System Volume Information\
    \$Recycle.Bin\
    \RECYCLE?\
    *\desktop.ini

Settings:- Real Time:- Normally on startup.
    Command line:- "C:\Program Files\ FreeFileSync\FreeFileSync.exe" "C:\Users\owner\FreeFileSyncSavedControl\FreeFileSyncCtoD\SyncSettings.ffs_batch"

I am beginning to think that Pictures and Videos might have some global protection from write access as libraries or are too high in the file root and are considered as some sort of system folder, their being entered on the same folder as C:,D:, E: etc. when opening “This PC Shortcut”.
    Another thought is that there is a global setting somewhere that might enable FFS in particular to write access to these two folders.

Given all the hassle of it starting, the log shows the two files are successfully copied, I have run as far as I am personally able.

Any help would be gratefully received whilst I still have hair to pull out!

Whatsisname, Jul 11, 2020
  3. M3cael Win User
    Only write one number to log file and delete old ones?

Hey,

I'm trying to have some software read from a .text file a number (GPU Temp) but the software will only the first number in a list (Or the first anything)

Is there a way to have to log file delete the previous entries and write the new number in it's place without any headers?

EDIT:

Sorry I'll try again.

I have some webcam software that can read a number (or whatever) from a text file and then it displays the number as an overlay.

See here: http://10.244.193.13:8081/

I was trying to use GPU-z to do this but as it logs as a list the webcam software can't update properly (also it reads the headings of the file and displays them instead)

Is there anyway to alter the logging to only output just the number (GPU Temp) and to delete the old numbers so the new value is the only value in the file.

M3cael, Jul 11, 2020
  4. Free File Sync unable to write to some files.

File Sync Software Needed

Hey guys.

At work, my boss provides people with a few different sync software packages for backups and multi-system setups, namely Carbonite and SugarSync. He'd like to know if there's one available that can sync multiple user accounts at once (i.e. Sync User B while User A is logged on) so that customers can have a "hot standby machine" in the event that their main machine goes wrong.
    At present, the software we provide only syncs the account that is currently logged on. If their main machine goes wrong, the customer is required to wait several hours for their files to sync on the backup machine. This poses problems, as some of our customers run businesses and will need access to their files ASAP.

Cheers in advance.

Red_Machine, Jul 11, 2020
Thema:

Free File Sync unable to write to some files.

1. Free File Sync unable to write to some files. - Similar Threads - Free File Sync

2. OneDrive only syncs some files and not others

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive only syncs some files and not others: Using OneDrive to backup certain folders, why do only some of the files within those folders actually sync? OneDrive says, "Your files are synced", but its wrong. For example, in the cloud, all my Documents sub-folders are there, but there are few files within them ~352 MB....
  3. OneDrive only syncs some files and not others

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive only syncs some files and not others: Using OneDrive to backup certain folders, why do only some of the files within those folders actually sync? OneDrive says, "Your files are synced", but its wrong. For example, in the cloud, all my Documents sub-folders are there, but there are few files within them ~352 MB....
  4. OneDrive only syncs some files and not others

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. files not syncing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    files not syncing: I have onedrive and the files that i edit on my personal computer won't sync with the work one and it creates a "laptop" version. how do i get it to work with just one file?...
  6. unable to write to c:\program files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unable to write to c:\program files: When I try to install radio programming software JT270M_USER_V103.exe as an administrator, I receive the error message "unable to write to c:\program filesx86\jet\jt270mv103\sysini.ini". The file "sysini.ini"" is present as indicated by the path shown. It is currently...
  7. Sync files

Sync files: I recently added my school account to my Windows 10 computer to access specific software offered by the school. I have all of my files on my personal account, and I would like to access them without duplicating them. Is there a way to sync folders and files between accounts...
  8. unable to open some files

unable to open some files: Hi There: The other day I was trying to open a zip file and I received this massage " the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable". I deleted the zip file, then I had the same problem with, Micro Soft Word, Psiphone, Telegram desktop, Google chroom, etc. I hadn't...
  9. Unable to sync files from OneDrive on Surface

Unable to sync files from OneDrive on Surface: Last week my files stopped syncing to onedrive through my surface. It persisted for a few days through some troubleshooting efforts, so I decided to disconnect my onedrive account from my surface and reconnect it. When I do this: I put my email in, followed by my password,...
  10. 'unable to write to file' when using scanner

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    'unable to write to file' when using scanner: Help Please! I have been using a V300 Epson Photo scanner, but since getting a new computer with Windows 10, it won't allow me to write to a file after scanning. It gives an 'unable to write to file' message. I have already uninstalled & re-installed software & drivers &...