Windows 10: Free Files / Folders Backup program/s

Discus and support Free Files / Folders Backup program/s in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, Macrium free edition is not making files / folders backup. Any recommendations for some free program/s to make such backup will be appreciated.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Motim, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Motim Win User

Free Files / Folders Backup program/s

Hello, Macrium free edition is not making files / folders backup. Any recommendations for some free program/s to make such backup will be appreciated. Thanks Windows 10, Winver 19042.1165 (20H2) x64

:)

Motim, Aug 17, 2021
  2. qubit Win User

[Solved] Need replacement backup program

SEE UPDATE AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST

Been using Karen's Replicator for over a decade to make mirror backups and it's been flawless, but now the program doesn't work properly any more - and the problem is unfixable - so I need a replacement and would be grateful for suggestions.

Free Files / Folders Backup program/s ptreplicator.gif

The problem is with destination folder creations and deletions. For deletions it fails silently, leaving the folder there. For creations (ie exists on source, but not destination) it pauses for a couple of seconds for every file in the missing folder and carries on. When the backup is complete, the log file shows that it couldn't find the missing folder and there's an entry for every file that it couldn't copy. The error is real, since the missing folder isn't created.

After much frantic Googling, it turns out that Windows 10 patch KB4015217 is apparently the culprit. However, reading the changelog gives no clue about the problem.

KR is written in VB6 and hasn't been updated since 2009 because the developer, Karen Kenworthy, died in 2011 so it will never be fixed. Running it in any of the compatibility modes or as an administrator doesn't fix it, either. Neither does setting the security permissions to allow the Everyone group full access. It's just broken hard.

I guess a temporary workaround might be to run KR under W7 in a virtual machine and allow that VM access to the drives, but that's messy and I can't be bothered to set it up.

I've found people suggesting several backup programs to replace KR, such as ones at the links below, but I'd like to know what you use and recommend. I need a program that can handle backing up to a network location and crucially, must be capable of creating a mirror backup. That's a backup that looks identical to the source, so files and folders are created and deleted as necessary to make them identical. Note that exception rules must be possible too, such as missing out the pagefile, temp files etc.

Best free backup software 2021

SyncBackFree - free backup software for Windows

Free File Synchronization, Backup, Data Replication, PC Sync Software, Freeware, File Sync, Data Synchronization Software | Allway Sync – File Synchronization That Works

UPDATE 16SEP17

There's a workaround for this problem here. Once the updated version is out, the problem should be properly fixed.

UPDATE 15DEC17

Problem is completely solved. See my update here.

qubit, Aug 17, 2021
  3. dark2099 Win User
    Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Aug 17, 2021
  4. YIN
    Yin Win User

Looking for a program which grabs folders\files and converts it into text

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a program which lets you pick a folder and grabs all the files\folders names and puts it in a text file.

I'm not sure if that makes sense, sorry if it doesn't.

Thema:

1. Free Files / Folders Backup program/s - Similar Threads - Free Files Folders

2. backup files/folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    backup files/folders: I need to recover files/folders from backups performed by previous versions of Windows. I presently use Windows 10, and when I click on to select a folder, I get a message that the files/folders are not partitioned etc., and need to be fixed first. On Settings, it shows that...
  3. Macrium reflect file backup free?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Macrium reflect file backup free?: Is the macrium reflect file folder backup free? submitted by /u/87d112 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f8hwui/macrium_reflect_file_backup_free/
  4. Backup my files and folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup my files and folders: Can someone Please explain to me in Layman's Terms the easiest way to backup my files and folders, I am 71 years old and find it difficult to sometimes grasp or follow windows instructions. I'm sure I need to be able to carry out this Task to keep myself safe from loosing my...
  5. File and Folder Backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File and Folder Backup: Whenever I turn on my computer, I get messages: "file and folder backup missed a scheduled backup," "file and folder backup will start in [x] seconds," then "job cannot run because of invalid destination." How can I disable this whole process, so that I don't get these...
  6. Alternative (And Free) System imaging and backup programs?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Alternative (And Free) System imaging and backup programs?: hi, I'm looking for an alternative to windows 7 backup and restore, ive had several problems now with it and I'm pretty sure its going to be depreciated and eventually removed in a future release of windows 10, that and i think my main hdd drive will eventually fail soon, ive...
  7. Looking for a Simple file-by-file Backup Program for Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Looking for a Simple file-by-file Backup Program for Documents Folder: My Documents are not on the C drive but on another internal HD. My C drive is regularly backed up using Macrium but I have for some years been backing up my Documents folder with a frequent incremental backup. This checks the difference between the Documents folder and the...
  8. Trying to find folder deleted during Free File Sync backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to find folder deleted during Free File Sync backup: Occasionally I do a sync between a portable drive and my work PC (Windows 10) using Free File Sync. The latest sync, February 20, I think I tweaked the settings I normally do and it deleted a couple files. I was able to find most of them in a folder that was created by FFS...
  9. Backup single file in folder

Backup single file in folder: Hi Is there any simple way, not involving 3rd party software to get File History to backup a single file in a folder? I'm trying to backup the Google Chrome bookmarks file, the file itself is about 1k but it's in a folder with 1Gb of files and I don't need to backup any...
  10. Free file backup software

Free file backup software: Hi, Can anyone suggest a good free third party software for file backup.....? I googled it, but it seems that some free tools do not work well with W10. I have Macrium and use it for Imaging/Cloning, but the free version does not offer file backup. I would like to...