Windows 10: Free Gui type xml editor for xml config files in VM's

Discus and support Free Gui type xml editor for xml config files in VM's in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks Running Windows (or other) VM's using KVM the configuration files are in XML -- and using VI or VIM (or similar text based editors) is a real... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Dec 22, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Free Gui type xml editor for xml config files in VM's

Hi folks

Running Windows (or other) VM's using KVM the configuration files are in XML -- and using VI or VIM (or similar text based editors) is a real pain.

However Geany is a nice little free GUI that does the job. It's not intended as a robust enterprise xml editor (these cost a lot of money usually) but works brilliantly for typical VM config files where the configuration is an xml file.

Note athough browsers also can work for xml you can't run a browser from the command line to edit your xml file via virsh.

For example to use to edit in my case here a Windows 10 VM running as a KVM VM one usually uses the virsh edit command.

However you can also call up your desired editor rather than mess around with vi etc.

Hope this helps people when trying new ways of creating / using VM's.

I'm bored with VMware and Vbox now !!!! using Linux Hypervisors is so much more fun -- takes a bit of work so don't give up on first try !!!! --You'll be amazed too at the performance you can squeeze out of these VM;s as well.

Latest W10 (insider edition) as a VM runs really fast -- indistinguishable from Native speed. The only drawback is attaching and detaching USB devices needs to be done manually (of course for Disks you can simply share as a network device with the host though). Passthru graphics etc is brilliant. IMO KVM makes HYPER-V look like a 1 legged dog trying to move on a perfectly smooth icepond. !!!

Free Gui type xml editor for xml config files in VM's [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Dec 22, 2019

2. I can not open the xml files with the xml editor

When I double click on a .xml file an error message is appearing that there is no appropriate program to open this kind of files. I tried to match the xml editor program with the files having a .xml extension and this didn't work too.

Please tell me a way to pair the xml file editor with the .xml extension files.

Aristoklis, Dec 22, 2019
  3. Jimmy6 Win User
    Generate XML from XSD in Java

In VS2010 if you load an XML file into the editor, click the XML menu >> Create Schema.

Jimmy6, Dec 22, 2019
  4. Meow9000 Win User

XML Text Editor.

Done a quick search here and Google but didn't find anything, So I apologise if I have missed anything.

Basically I'm looking for a free, lightweight XML Text editor to change some files. Being able to view items in a table for easier editing would be a plus. Looking at raw text is killing me at the moment.

Thanks,

Meow9000, Dec 22, 2019
Thema:

1. Free Gui type xml editor for xml config files in VM's - Similar Threads - Free Gui type

2. 1.14 WINDOWS xml file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    1.14 WINDOWS xml file: Hello.Toady i notice at may users folder an -1.14 windows xml file.What is it?Should unistall it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/114-windows-xml-file/7dabdba9-199c-4fc7-b0fe-9041b6aa9093
  3. 1.14 WINDOWS xml file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    1.14 WINDOWS xml file: Hello.Toady i notice at may users folder an -1.14 windows xml file.What is it?Should unistall it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/114-windows-xml-file/7dabdba9-199c-4fc7-b0fe-9041b6aa9093
  4. download .xml file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    download .xml file: I am unable to download .xml files and changing the setting doesn't work/ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-xml-file/e09a3a25-3436-4466-8f2a-918f6ece0a21
  5. XML Files

XML Files: Hi folks! Just registered to this forum and glad to have found it. So I was installing Ubuntu on my computer which already had windows 10.I wanted to have a dual OS. Things went south and windows got deleted/ over written or whatever. I used a hard drive recovery device to...
  6. Edit File History config1.xml and config2.xml Files Directly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Edit File History config1.xml and config2.xml Files Directly: I'd like to make some changes to the File History config1.xml and config2.xml files to "clean" things up a little ... like sort included folders alphabetically, etc. However, if I edit these four files directory (there are two of each) they revert back to their default values...
  7. xml

in Windows 10 Customization
    xml: what is xml and how can I modify it. My windows media player was working alright then it stopped. When I did troubleshooting, I was told a software has changed the XML to SXL. Any help?...
  8. xml error

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    xml error: When doing a scan with free version of Spybot I get the message (in bold) below about file 180702-213610.xml. Has been on the 'cleaner' page for a few days. What is 180702-213610.xml? Is it a virus? Has it been cleaned based on note in green below? I use Webroot...
  9. .net Missing .xml Files

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    .net Missing .xml Files: After Windows installed the recent major build, now when I try to open a module in Access Windows installer opens and tries to reinstall access. I wound it is caused by missing xml files in the Microsoft.net folder that MzTools uses in Access. MzTools is an Access Add-in....
  10. free xml viewers

free xml viewers: I have searched the web for a free xml viewer. No luck! If I open the xml file in notepad it is not easily readable. I need an app to view the text - and print if possible - in an easily readable format. Thanks Errol 79552