Windows 10: Free H.265 to H.264 Converters?

Discus and support Free H.265 to H.264 Converters? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; HEVC isn't supported on my WDTV Live. 33853 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by elbeasto, Dec 14, 2015.

1. elbeasto Win User

Free H.265 to H.264 Converters?

HEVC isn't supported on my WDTV Live.

:)

elbeasto, Dec 14, 2015

2. How can I get HEVC to play on Windows 10

Thank you both for the reply. That explains why I can't view them. If I download something like 5kplayer, will I be able to view and edit H.265 files in my editing software or would I actually need some type of third party H.265 codec installed?

It looks like I might just need to transcode the H.265 files to H.264 using Handbrake until Windows 10 is able to decode H.265

GoPro Youthman, Dec 14, 2015
  3. How can I get HEVC to play on Windows 10

Thanks Dave.

I just found out from the Davinci Resolve Forum (editing software I'm using) that the free version of Davinci does not support H.265, only the $1000 version. I'll check into converting the files to H.264. Thanks again for your help!

GoPro Youthman, Dec 14, 2015
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    Handbrake will do it. Open the mkv file and select the relevant profile. It's a complex piece of software to use properly but it's free and does work. (Works on Linux too).

HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder

-- What I want though is the OTHER way around (H264-->H265) without losing any quality !!!.

BTW H265 seems to work on Google chromecast devices -- IMO a better option than WDTV. Device costs around 30 EUR whatever that is in aussie dollars so probably not expensive. You need the Version 2 model though.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 14, 2015
  5. elbeasto Win User
    Thanks for the info there Jimbo. *Smile

elbeasto, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Free H.265 to H.264 Converters? - Similar Threads - Free 265 264

2. Windows 11 really REALLY s^H^H^H^Hlow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 really REALLY s^H^H^H^Hlow: Why is Windows 11 continuing to go downhill?The system is slow, bloated, lacks functionality, has inconsistent UI behavior, and, for me, has terribly atrocious UX.Windows 10 was tolerable.Windows 11 makes me wish I could sell beer for a living....
  3. Windows 11 really REALLY s^H^H^H^Hlow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 really REALLY s^H^H^H^Hlow: Why is Windows 11 continuing to go downhill?The system is slow, bloated, lacks functionality, has inconsistent UI behavior, and, for me, has terribly atrocious UX.Windows 10 was tolerable.Windows 11 makes me wish I could sell beer for a living....
  4. h.264 converter to mp4

in Windows 10 Customization
    h.264 converter to mp4: I have a Lenovo with windows 10 pro. I have always had to convert my output files from the cctv cameras to mp4 via an avi converter. I can't find any program that microsoft likes to accomplish my tasks. how can I get the non microsoft programs to default...
  5. H.264 vs H.265 vs H.266: We explain what they are all about

in Windows 10 News
    H.264 vs H.265 vs H.266: We explain what they are all about: [ATTACH]The most popular video codec right now is the H.264 standard since almost all […] This article H.264 vs H.265 vs H.266: We explain what they are all about first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. Davinci Resolve and H.265 videos

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Davinci Resolve and H.265 videos: I have been using the free version of Davinci Resolve 16 to edit videos from my GoPro Hero 7 Black camera on a PC that is about 5 years old. I had installed the HEVC codec from the Microsoft Store and was able to process H.265 video with no problems. The system was...
  7. H.264 stand alone DVR

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    H.264 stand alone DVR: I cannot view my home security system (h.264) in microsoft edge i have set all my ports forwarding in my router and they are open and my router is not blocking those Any suggestions Charlie...
  8. Finding which videos in a directory of various videos are H.265?

in Windows 10 Support
    Finding which videos in a directory of various videos are H.265?: I have a directory of over a thousand mixed H.264 and H.265 mobile phone videos. Is there a way I can filter them in Windows Explorers, so I can move them to H.264 and H.265 folders? I've checked which columns I have available to me in Details view but none seem relevant....
  9. License for using Media Foundation H.264 video decoder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    License for using Media Foundation H.264 video decoder: Hi, I am a software developer. We are developing a PC application that can be used to decode H.264 video from legal video source providers. The technology we currently utilized is Microsoft Media Foundation, specifically the Media Foundation H.264 video decoder. I'd like...
  10. Previewing H.264/AVC support for ORTC

in Windows 10 News
    Previewing H.264/AVC support for ORTC: Today we’re excited to announce preliminary support for H.264/AVC support in the real-time communications (RTC) stack in Microsoft Edge, as initially promised in our April roadmap update. You can preview this feature in Windows Insider Preview builds starting with EdgeHTML...