Windows 10: Free Macrium for Linux Imaging and restoring (Not cloning but imaging)

Discus and support Free Macrium for Linux Imaging and restoring (Not cloning but imaging) in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi folks The standalone version of Free Macrium will backup and restore Linux systems -- but with a slight proviso you will probably have to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jimbo45, Sep 11, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Free Macrium for Linux Imaging and restoring (Not cloning but imaging)

Hi folks
    The standalone version of Free Macrium will backup and restore Linux systems -- but with a slight proviso you will probably have to re-generate the bootloader / grub on the first boot of the restored system. I'm specifying IMAGING the systems and not cloning them as I want system backup images to be easily available on my archive backup sets for restores -- not whole HDD clones.

However you can still boot your Linux system on EFI even when you get what the system looks like a No No -- Message No boot device !!!!!

Free Macrium for Linux Imaging and restoring (Not cloning but imaging) [​IMG]

Go into the bios and you'll usually find an option - Boot from the EFI file -- hit about 2 or 3 times until you see the boot file of your Linux machine and select and enter -- then the system boots perfectly --you don't even need to use a Live distro to recover the boot. Once booted simply rerun the grub configuration program and next boot you will be able to boot normally.

Creating the image takes a bit longer than restore -- around 42 mins for 238GB Linux system and 19 mins on restore on my test Linux HP laptop -- SSD for the internal HDD and external USB3 portable device (NTFS formatted) for the image file. (the image file was 128 GB so still a decent amount of compression.

Note the two caveats -- you can't restore to a smaller HDD this way and if you want to clone your system then DD is much faster.

I'm using XFS file systems -- you might with ext4 be able to shrink the partitions but XFS you can only make them bigger.

It's still viable as you can also keep Linux images too on your backup device(s).

So Macrium well done -- you can take system images of your Linux system (on version 7.2 of Macrium), but do it in the stand alone version ---i.e not under Windows and remember to re-generate GRUB after restore.

baring in mind that one doesn't need to take Linux system images all that often -- these systems are usually pretty stable once you've installed all the bits and pieces you want.

sda 8:0 0 238.5G 0 disk
    |-sda1 8:1 0 16M 0 part
    |-sda2 8:2 0 300M 0 part
    |-sda3 8:3 0 31.7G 0 part /
    |-sda4 8:4 0 198.6G 0 part /home
    `-sda5 8:5 0 7.9G 0 part [SWAP]
    [L: [email protected] ~]$ su
    Password:
    [L: [email protected] hrafn]# mount /boot/efi -t auto -o rw /mnt
    mount: /mnt: /boot/efi is not a block device.
    [L: [email protected] hrafn]# mount /dev/sda2 /boot/efi
    [L: [email protected] hrafn]# grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --bootloader-id=ARCHLINUX --efi-directory=/boot/efi --recheck
    Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
    Installation finished. No error reported.
    [L: [email protected] hrafn]# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    Generating grub configuration file ...
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux
    Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img
    Found fallback initrd image(s) in /boot: initramfs-linux-fallback.img
    done
    [L: [email protected] hrafn]#

Now re-boot and all's well

"Seemples" I'm happy Macrium works to make system images - far better than clonezilla or whatever and it actually works !!! -- just remember the boot loader bit and you are in business. !!!

I think I can speed this up no end by just saving image just copying the root (/), /boot/efi and the efi reserved partition -- data on /home directories can be saved as data and restored easily enough I do that regularly anyway -- this should cut the system backup down to around 10 mins or so -- but you'll still have to re-generate the grub bootloader.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Sep 11, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Free Macrium for Linux Imaging and restoring (Not cloning but imaging) [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Sep 11, 2019
  3. cereberus Win User
    cloning (not imaging) speed -- Macrium vs DD

Semantics.

A clone directly copies a disk to another one without any intermediate step involved.

That is not how FFU works as far as I can tell. You still create an image file which you deploy to a new drive.

FFU is sort of halfway between imaging and cloning as the the image is more a sector by sector copy.

However, in the end it still needs two steps to clone to new drive, and this is more like Macrium backup and restore.

Unless I am mistaken, I cannot see a way to capture data on one drive and SIMULTANEOUSLY deploy it to a new drive which is exactly what Macrium Reflect does when cloning.

In the end, it does not matter except you have to be careful about comparing oranges and apples as you need to take all steps into account when comparing speeds.

As an aside, Reflect's Rapid Delta Cloning (not free version) is awesomely fast if you have an existing clone, and you re-clone provided extent of changes do not involve a build upgrade.

cereberus, Sep 11, 2019
  4. Bumpkin Win User

cloning / imaging

As long as the thumb drive has enough capacity for the image or clone.
    I suggest using Macrium Reflect as it uses compression when making images.

Bumpkin, Sep 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Free Macrium for Linux Imaging and restoring (Not cloning but imaging) - Similar Threads - Free Macrium Linux

2. Restoring Macrium Reflect image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring Macrium Reflect image: I really need help. Let me say first that the image I made with MR is about 1.5 yrs old. I see no reason why that should matter. I opened Macrium Reflect and went to the Restore heading. There I browsed to and selected the image I wanted to restore. This is what I see:...
  3. Imaging a Linux (or Windows) Disk without Macrium -- Not cloning

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Imaging a Linux (or Windows) Disk without Macrium -- Not cloning: Hi folks Again the wonders of DD -- if you need to image (not clone as that's simple enough) a disk for use as a backup and you don't have an available copy of Macrium to hand it's very easy to use DD to image a disk to a file and restore it. Works on any type of disk....
  4. Macrium cloned / restored images to ANOTHER drive will not boot? MBR

Macrium cloned / restored images to ANOTHER drive will not boot? MBR: I hope some of you might be able to shed some light on boot issues I'm experiencing with my cloned boot images. A little background I currently boot from an SSD which is in MBR format; booting from a UEFI compatible motherboard. I also have a second SSD which is may DATA...
  5. Macrium V7 unable to clone / image Disk with xfs (Linux) partitions

Macrium V7 unable to clone / image Disk with xfs (Linux) partitions: Hi folks seems latest version of Macrium free V7 won't clone or image physical (i.e not VM) Linux disks / partitions containing xfs formatted partitions. No probs with ext2/3/4 though. Not sure if this has always been the case because I used to use ext4 file systems on...
  6. Restoring Image by free Macrium Reflect

Restoring Image by free Macrium Reflect: In the past I was able to restore a Disk Image in the Windows 10 interface without using the Rescue Disk. Lately this is no longer possible and restoration through the Rescue Disk is the only way now. This is not a big hassle but it is an unwelcome nag. Is it possible to go...
  7. Macrium Free disk imaging

Macrium Free disk imaging: Ok, using a Macrium made boot USB I can create an image of my boot SSD (all partitions needed to boot Windows), to any other attached disk, this works perfectly. My question is about using Macrium while in Windows, is the disk image made this way identical to the image made...
  8. cloning (not imaging) speed -- Macrium vs DD

cloning (not imaging) speed -- Macrium vs DD: Hi folks I'm talking about Cloning here not imaging which is a separate methodology and Macrium does perfectly with it (both performance and reliability wise). However on Cloning Macrium performs rather worse on Windows than using DD on most Linux systems fairly...
  9. Restore a file or folder from Macrium Free Image?

Restore a file or folder from Macrium Free Image?: I have found the need (desire) to restore a particular folder or file from a Macrium Free image of one of my hard disks. Is this possible? Thank you. 124986
  10. Macrium Restore Image

Macrium Restore Image: I just performed a clean install from 1809 ISO saved the MR image of the clean install to my ext. USB HD and 64GB 3.0 flash drive. This morning I tested the clean install from the flash drive, MR went through all the image restore set up then I received an error message...