Windows 10: Free program to put laptop into hibernate or sleep or coma

Discus and support Free program to put laptop into hibernate or sleep or coma in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best 'free' program to put a laptop into hibernate or sleep mode?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Rubert Mumps, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Free program to put laptop into hibernate or sleep or coma

Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best 'free' program to put a laptop into hibernate or sleep mode?

:)

Rubert Mumps, Aug 15, 2020
  2. Mussels Win User

sleep or hibernate

sleep and hibernate are the same thing now.

S3 'sleep' has the entire system powered off, EXCEPT for system ram. a copy of ram is stored on the HDD when entering sleep.
    To answer the OP's question about the HDD taking wear and tear moving the laptop around - in sleep mode, it is powered off. ONLY system RAM has power in S3 sleep states.

Hibernate is when it loses power, it boots from the saved copy of ram. Often, this can load slower than a fresh boot since it has to load more from the HDD than usual.

so asking which you prefer... well, unless its a laptop you plan to store overnight or something, use sleep. its the same thing.

S3 sleep drains my laptop battery at only 2-3% an hour, so its not like its going to have a large impact on daily use.

Mussels, Aug 15, 2020
  3. Yo_Wattup Win User
    sleep or hibernate

I think you have sleep and hibernate confused... sleep just puts the computer in a low power state, making resuming the session faster... hibernate shuts down the whole computer and basically just saves whats in RAM to the hdd and loads it on next startup. IIRC...

Yo_Wattup, Aug 15, 2020
  4. Phillmont Win User

Free program to put laptop into hibernate or sleep or coma

Hibernating laptop changes to sleep behaviour after Windows 10 May 2019 update

Hi Aditya,

Thank you for your reply. I have tried the two steps (turning of Hybrid sleep and Fast startup) you suggested but to no avail. Okay, for your two questions:

1. My laptop is a HP Pavilion 14-bf101tx, and currently running Windows 10 1903 (upgrading from 1809).
    2. Nope. No error messages. I suppose the boot process was successful, however, my battery was reduced. That's why I suggest the post title as "Hibernating changes to sleep behaviour" because the battery level reduction looks like sleep behaviour.

Please inform me of any diagnostics information you might need. Thank you for your kind assistance.

Phillmont, Aug 15, 2020
Thema:

Free program to put laptop into hibernate or sleep or coma

1. Free program to put laptop into hibernate or sleep or coma - Similar Threads - Free program put

2. Manually putting laptop to sleep and

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Manually putting laptop to sleep and: Can someone please tell me what I did? I was fooling around, trying to have the laptop awake out of sleep and have the same landscape picture be there each time. I wasn't successful with that but also now, when I put the laptop to sleep from the Start button, it goes to sleep...
  3. Manually putting laptop to sleep and

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Manually putting laptop to sleep and: Can someone please tell me what I did? I was fooling around, trying to have the laptop awake out of sleep and have the same landscape picture be there each time. I wasn't successful with that but also now, when I put the laptop to sleep from the Start button, it goes to sleep...
  4. Programs freeze after sleep or hibernate.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Programs freeze after sleep or hibernate.: Hello. I am currently having a problem where if I keep programs open while my laptop goes into idle or hibernate mode, some or all freeze when I wake my laptop. I've tried updating windows/dell drivers, factory resetting my laptop, scanning for viruses, "scannow" "restore...
  5. Programs freeze after sleep or hibernate.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Programs freeze after sleep or hibernate.: Hello. I am currently having a problem where if I keep programs open while my laptop goes into idle or hibernate mode, some or all freeze when I wake my laptop. I've tried updating windows/dell drivers, factory resetting my laptop, scanning for viruses, "scannow" "restore...
  6. Programs freeze after sleep or hibernate.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Hibernate button disappeared and can't put PC to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hibernate button disappeared and can't put PC to sleep: Hi all, for the last month or so I haven't been able to switch on the hibernate option in the power settings and every time I put my computer to sleep, it stays on. Shutdown is also taking a really long time. Any idea where to start? submitted by /u/louissanderson57...
  8. putting laptop to sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    putting laptop to sleep: steps to put my Dell Laptop to sleep when I am finished for the dat https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/putting-laptop-to-sleep/34898161-305a-4188-99a0-a59f33c640f5
  9. Laptop restarts when put to sleep, shut down, or put into hibernate after Windows 1903 update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop restarts when put to sleep, shut down, or put into hibernate after Windows 1903 update: My Dell XPS 9570 will automatically restart without being prompted to when I select any of the power options (sleep, shut down, hibernate, restart). It appears to execute whatever command I have selected, and then continue to restart within about 30 seconds of being put to...
  10. putting laptop to sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    putting laptop to sleep: I was told by an IT Pro to put the laptop to sleep when I was done using it. Why then overnight at times i turn it on the next day and it is completely shut down, I must hit the power button to get it back on, who or why does this happen? 105593