Windows 10: Free space on a hard drive has got corrupted, HELP

Discus and support Free space on a hard drive has got corrupted, HELP in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have 2 8Tb drives that I manually keep in sync. Recently, I have no idea when, the free space on them just got out of step. I've JUST re-synced them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by louwin, Mar 30, 2018.

1. louwin Win User

Free space on a hard drive has got corrupted, HELP

I have 2 8Tb drives that I manually keep in sync. Recently, I have no idea when, the free space on them just got out of step. I've JUST re-synced them but at this moment there is

1,416,419,140k (& 70,438 files) free on one and 1,938,941,052k (and 70,435 files) on the other. The difference of 3 files does NOT account for the almost half a terabyte difference.

I summed all the files and they are 5,808,282,200k on one and 5,778,681,337k on the other. The difference is because I have imaged my system (at different times) to each drive.

The one on the left (R: 1.4Tb free) is the one that appears wrong.

Two questions....

1) Why/How did R: get corrupted?
    2) how do I fix the available "free space" on R: the incorrect drive.

Sorry, a thumbnail with the same drive somehow got attached to this question and I can't delete it.... Sorry

:)

louwin, Mar 30, 2018

2. Do You Have To Close All Running Programs Before Compressing The Entire Drive C: - Operating System ???

Hi William,

Compressing your hard drive may corrupt system files on your computer. We don't recommend using that option to save disk space. The operating system itself consumes 16-20 GB on the hard drive(16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS) plus other programs installed
    on your computer. We recommend upgrading your hard drive to avoid getting disk space issues. You may also follow the steps in this articles to help free up drive space in Windows 10.

Disk cleanup in Windows 10

Free up drive space in Windows 10

Should you need further assistance, feel free to post your query any time.

Martin Bar, Mar 30, 2018
  3. How to delete Windows Store unfinished downloads?

I recently am downloading an app from the Windows Store that takes up about 12GB of size. However, after 0.2GB has passed, I decided to pause it and will resume later. To my surprise, after I resume it, it went back to 0.0GB, so I had no choice but to just
    restart the download. Then after a while, I then decided yet again to pause it because I need turn off my internet connection. Then after resuming it, it went back AGAIN to 0.0GB... I got fed up of this nonsense, so I just stopped the download and try again
    later... After a while, I checked my hard drive, and I was shocked to see many of my free space GONE. Then I just realized that I recently had several failed attempts of Windows Store downloads, so I tested if Windows Store is related to my disappearing hard
    drive free space. I tried to download that 12GB app again and paused and resumed after a while, then I saw my hard drive keeps getting clogged up after that, which proves that Windows Store is the culprit for my disappearing free spaces in my hard drive...

Help! Is there a way to get rid of the unfinished downloads of Windows Store?

My hard drive was supposed to have 230+GB of free space, but now it only has 170+GB of free space...

mario62746, Mar 30, 2018
  4. spunk Win User

Press the Win Key+X and choose Disk Management. In the Disk Management window, in the lower pane, does the R: drive have a separate partition without a drive letter or Unallocated Space?

spunk, Mar 30, 2018
  5. Samuria Win User
    Are the clusters the same size on both disk as that could make a big difference

Samuria, Mar 30, 2018
  6. louwin Win User
    Both discs were bought at the same time and setup exactly the same. They ran forever identically but just differed recently. I'll try to paste a cropped Disk Management snapshot below?

Free space on a hard drive has got corrupted, HELP [​IMG]

I generally copy things to S: and once every couple of weeks sync R: to S:

I had considered RAID mirroring the 2 discs but, because my PCIe SATA card was new I didn't have confidence with it's RAID routines.

The discs have worked perfectly for about 19 months. I AM computer literate though not an expert. Have been programming for over 40 years *Smile

As you see there is about 6Tb information so I can't just format the disc and re-copy everything back to it. This is a solution I maybe forced to adopt!? *Sad

Thanks for your replies *Smile

louwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Free space on a hard drive has got corrupted, HELP - Similar Threads - Free space hard

2. How to free more hard drive space?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to free more hard drive space?: When I use sfc scan, disk cleanup, delete windows update log and app cache, run storage sense by clearing temporary files using storage setting and flush dns cache then i restart my pc, the storage won't low down a bit. I already transfer my genshin impact game files to other...
  3. My Hard Drive got corrupted

My Hard Drive got corrupted: Well I did a reformat to my PC because I was experiencing slow performance because I've installed a lot of software in it. When the reformat was done, I've installed all of the programs that I need and transfer the files from my 2nd drive before I did the reformat, I...
  4. How to free up hard drive space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to free up hard drive space: I've got a computer with a ~120G SSD and a larger HDD. I've made a real effort to keep anything discretionary off the SSD, but as I'm a (new) developer there are lots of installs, and the space keeps creeping up. The plan had been to install a larger SSD, but now that Covid...
  5. How to free up hard drive space

in Windows 10 Support
    How to free up hard drive space: I've got a computer with a ~120G SSD and a larger HDD. I've made a real effort to keep anything discretionary off the SSD, but as I'm a (new) developer there are lots of installs, and the space keeps creeping up. The plan had been to install a larger SSD, but now that Covid...
  6. Freeing up space on hard drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Freeing up space on hard drive.: Hi , I need too free up space on my hard drive. Seems other users account for 154 gb I have no other users. In manage my account it only gives me the option to add family friends. How do I delete the other users and free up space? Any help will be appreciated ta...
  7. "Free up space" Hard drive option difficulty

"Free up space" Hard drive option difficulty: Attempted to use the "free up space" option in my storage and its stuck saying "Purging: Compress your OS drive" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-space-hard-drive-option-difficulty/d7a902d2-7089-4e17-a2fa-e8b970c1db9e"
  8. Portable hard drive not enough free space.

Portable hard drive not enough free space.: I have a 1.5 TB back up portable hard that only has 355 GB of Free Space. It has only 2 system images from C drive (with 147 GB of used space). I have made several system images in the past on this hard drive and deleted most of them over time. 1. How can only 2 system...
  9. Help with possibly corrupt hard drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help with possibly corrupt hard drive.: Hi all! I am new to these forums but hoping for some help from a techie :) I have a HP laptop that is running awful on Windows 10 so decided I wanted to take it back to Windows 7 (the operating system it came with). I no longer had my recovery partition so Microsoft...
  10. Finding the free space on a hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Finding the free space on a hard drive: Is there any application that comes with Windows 10, that will show the hard-drive storage usage and free space? I do not mean an application that will show usage and free space for each partition (disk). Such data is rather inconvenient, when one wants to know how much is...