Windows 10: Free space on harddrive randomly jumped from ~65 GB to ~108 GB

Discus and support Free space on harddrive randomly jumped from ~65 GB to ~108 GB in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My laptop is on Windows 10. Normally, I only use my laptop when I am out of town. A few weeks ago, I had about 65 GB of free space on my main... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by leftisthominid, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Free space on harddrive randomly jumped from ~65 GB to ~108 GB

My laptop is on Windows 10.

Normally, I only use my laptop when I am out of town. A few weeks ago, I had about 65 GB of free space on my main partition.

A couple days ago when I started my vacation, I noticed that it jumped up to 74 GB. I presumed that was because some older system restore points were getting deleted. Today, I dumped about 2 GB of pictures onto my second partition. I left my computer on for a few hours as I uploaded pictures to facebook and did a virus scan.

Kaspersky says my computer is clean, but I know noticed that my main partition all of a sudden has ~108 GB free. Windows also says that I am using about 20 GB of System Restore points (out of the allocated 30.50 GB). I also noticed that my Windows.old folder is missing from my upgrade.

Any idea what is going on? (When I installed Windows 10 in mid-May, system restore was disabled and I had about 110 GB free)

:)

leftisthominid, Jun 24, 2016

2. My C: Drive keeps permantly losing space.

I am running now on Win 10 Pro and I have the problem, that my main harddrive keeps permantly losing space. I am using a 128 gb SSD and now i am down to some MBs. Normaly I have around 30-40 GB free space. I let a malware software run because my first idea
    was any kind of malware or virus but it was clean and the harddrive keeps still losing space.

Any Ideas how i could solve this problem?

HarsányiKristóf, Jun 24, 2016
  3. 16 GB micro sdhc card only using 14.9 GB

I recently bought a new sd card for my phone. I can't remember the brand, but it has 16GB space and is class 6. I formatted the card with my nokia 5230 (in which I use it). Howewer, when I look at it in File manager it says 14.9 GB free.

I understand that space is needed for system files, but what bugs me is that the original 2GB sd card only used 0.3GB for this purpose. I'm losing triple the amount of space.

I'm interested both in hearing why this happens and if it's possible to free some of this space.

Thanks in advance

lipsu_usqil, Jun 24, 2016
  4. Free space on harddrive randomly jumped from ~65 GB to ~108 GB

Looks like you lost your opportunity to revert back to your previous O.S. After upgrading to Win 10 you have 30 days to revert back. After 30 days, your Windows.old folder will magically be removed. No going back now.

storageman, Jun 24, 2016
  5. I have no intention of going back to Windows 7. My first month finished on the 21st (and I didn't use my computer at all that day), so on the 22nd and today I presume Windows was deleting Windows.old in the background.

It is a bit startling that that folder was ~40 GB big. I did an MBAM scan and an AdwCleaner scan, and I found no problems. Is it safe to assume there was no virus issue but it was just the Windows.old folder disappearing?

leftisthominid, Jun 24, 2016
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    Completely ruling out action by a virus is very difficult to do but there really is no evidence of this. What you are saw is a normal operation.

LMiller7, Jun 24, 2016
  7. The scheduled disk cleanup likely deleted a bit more than just the windows.old folder. Run it manually and you'll see a lot of other options listed.

alphanumeric, Jun 24, 2016
  8. CountMike New Member

Free space on harddrive randomly jumped from ~65 GB to ~108 GB

It also deletes downloaded files for upgrade and 4 or so GB are just in there. Windows.old has all system files and programs installed so it's about as big as your old system was. There's a lot of GBs in there.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Free space on harddrive randomly jumped from ~65 GB to ~108 GB

1. Free space on harddrive randomly jumped from ~65 GB to ~108 GB - Similar Threads - Free space harddrive

2. 734 GB of space missing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    734 GB of space missing.: I was having storage issues and noticed that 777 GB were towards games and found out Valorant was using 734 GB of space out of the 777GB. I eventually deleted it now it's still saying 777 GB is towards games. I have no idea what's doing this but it's a major issue....
  3. 734 GB of space missing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    734 GB of space missing.: I was having storage issues and noticed that 777 GB were towards games and found out Valorant was using 734 GB of space out of the 777GB. I eventually deleted it now it's still saying 777 GB is towards games. I have no idea what's doing this but it's a major issue....
  4. Cannot partition SSD, despite 90 gb free space.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot partition SSD, despite 90 gb free space.: 92 gb of free space. Want to install ubuntu for work. 225 gig ssd cannot be partitioned, shrink volume enable only to shrink 2147 mbs which doesnt make sense? submitted by /u/Caveman014 [link] [comments]...
  5. Recovery D: is almost full [1.86 gb free of 15.6 gb]

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery D: is almost full [1.86 gb free of 15.6 gb]: Hi, my laptop is an HP Pavilion running on Intel core i5 8th gen and windows 11 as of Nov 2021Lately, like in the last six months to a year, my laptop has been slower and slower. I use it mostly for college via a chrome browser and I recently noticed my recovery disk is...
  6. random 49 gb of space being used!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    random 49 gb of space being used!: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Help!! I was extracting a rar for something and it said disk write error : out of space. I went to check explorer and it says the full hard drive was used even though the capacity was 149 gb and there was only 100 gb in the disk! Tried defragment,...
  7. Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 download reaches 65 GB, then resets back to 58 GB.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 download reaches 65 GB, then resets back to 58 GB.: I have recently purchased MFS2020, and while installing, the progress keeps jumping back from 65GB to 58. I have a constant internet connection at around 15 MB/s and tan excess amount of storage for the simulator. Is there any way to fix this and get the installation moving...
  8. 8 GB of free space needed on C:

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    8 GB of free space needed on C:: I have a stream book that was given to me that I would really like to reset it back to its factory default however it will not allow me to reset it because it doesn’t have enough space I tried to put a USB into it to create a USB boot drive but the media creation tool stops...
  9. 300+ gb of free space missing !

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    300+ gb of free space missing !: hi everyone ! so i have a 931 gb partition . all the files on that partition occupy only 484 GB . computer says i have only 179 GB of free space . what happened to the other 300 gb ? how could i restore them ? thanks [ATTACH] https://postimg.cc/xqtpygY5...
  10. Free space remains unchanged after 5 GB move

in Windows 10 Support
    Free space remains unchanged after 5 GB move: I copied 5 GB of files from C:\Users\terry\OneDrive\Documents\MAGIX downloads, (SSD) to D (HD), then deleted the originals. But free space on C is still reported as unchanged. That's in various places, including running diskmgmt.msc. I'll probably move it back to test it...