Windows 10: Free space reduced after drive repair and disk cleanup issues

Discus and support Free space reduced after drive repair and disk cleanup issues in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've been having some issues with my disk constantly being 100% used by "system" after downloading and installing some windows updates, whenever I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ΧάρηςJJ, May 2, 2019.

1. Free space reduced after drive repair and disk cleanup issues

I've been having some issues with my disk constantly being 100% used by "system" after downloading and installing some windows updates, whenever I check in the task manager, I searched for solutions and found a number of methods including repairing my C drive. It was scanned and repaired successfully (after a long wait), unfortunately my 100% disk usage issue is still there, but something else happened too, my C drive's free space went from 67gb to 42gb just like that. I have no idea why and I couldn't find any questions related to mine. Some more background on the issues I've been having lately. It all started when I decided to perform a defrag on my drive, it was 26% fragmented, but it froze in the first relocating process, so I cancelled it. Then I decided to perform a disk cleanup first and try again, but, the disk cleanup process froze too, during "windows update cleanup", I had 30gb worth of windows update files listed in the scan results list. The first thing I did was check for new windows updates, I found many, and after numerous attempts I managed to download and install them. Disk cleanup stalls again, same progress percentage, windows update cleanup, but this time the files were smaller, from 30gb to 11gb, my free space was the same all along though. More windows updates, more reboots, windows update files go from 11gb to a couple of hundred megabytes, but cleanup stalls once again. I performed sfc scannow, no problems, ran the update troubleshooter, all it did was check for pending updates and marked that as a fix. EVENTUALLY, the disk cleanup is complete, BUT, no windows update files are on the list, nor did they show up in the cleanup process. After I was done with some final pending updates, the issue with the disk usage came up, and that's where the rest starts. Also.. I just tried another disk cleanup, and it stalls again on the exact same thing. Oddly enough, I had tried it in safe mode too, it didn't work there either, not with the windows update files included in the cleanup.

:)

ΧάρηςJJ, May 2, 2019
  2. Joan Pin Win User

disk space reduced after media creation tool

Hi Sarah,

One of the possible reasons why your disk space was reduced is due to an unallocated disk space on your partitions. For us to isolate your concern, we suggest that you check your device's partition. To do this, follow the steps provided below:

• Type Computer Management on Ask me anything and press
      Enter.
    • Select Storage and click on Disk Management.
    • Send us a screenshot.
    We look forward to your response.

Joan Pin, May 2, 2019
  3. DISK CLEANUP

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which files are you trying to delete using disk clean up?
    2. Which version of Windows are you currently using?

Please reply back with the information to the above questions in order to provide you with appropriate troubleshooting steps:

I understand that you are trying to free up memory using Disk Cleanup. If you are trying to delete files using disk cleanup on Windows 10, I suggest you to refer the following article on

Disk cleanup in Windows 10
    for steps to perform disk clean up on your PC.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, May 2, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Free space reduced after drive repair and disk cleanup issues

disk cleanup

Hi joysoder, to properly and safely delete any files not required by your system, run Disk Cleanup twice as explained below. Each time select everything in the list and delete them. Disk Cleanup will not suggest deleting anything that is not safe to delete
    . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

DaveM121, May 2, 2019
Thema:

Free space reduced after drive repair and disk cleanup issues

1. Free space reduced after drive repair and disk cleanup issues - Similar Threads - Free space reduced

2. C drive free space is reducing automatically

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive free space is reducing automatically: Hello,I have windows 10 operating system. Last day I updated the windows then suddenly today I saw that my C drive free space has been reduced. Before update it was 96 gb of free space now it has 75 gb free space. How can I get more free space ?Is there anything to clean up?...
  3. C drive free space is reducing automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive free space is reducing automatically: Hello,I have windows 10 operating system. Last day I updated the windows then suddenly today I saw that my C drive free space has been reduced. Before update it was 96 gb of free space now it has 75 gb free space. How can I get more free space ?Is there anything to clean up?...
  4. C drive free space is reducing automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Disk Cleanup to Free up disk space in Windows 10

Disk Cleanup to Free up disk space in Windows 10: This instruction helps you clean up temporary and unnecessary system files on your Windows to free up space Step 1: Open disk clean up with Clean up system file enabled Step 2: Clean up System Restore and Shadow Copies Step 3: Clean up Temporary files Step 4: Check for...
  6. Disk Cleanup to Free up disk space in Windows 10

Disk Cleanup to Free up disk space in Windows 10: This instruction helps you clean up temporary and unnecessary system files on your Windows to free up space From the original post here: https://huntertran.com/2020/11/23/disk-cleanup-to-free-disk-space/ Step 1: Open disk clean up with Clean up system file enabled Type...
  7. Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space: I'm running Windows 10 on a Bootcamp'd MacBook Pro with 256G of SSD of which about 135G is allocated to the Windows partition (according to Properties in Explorer). It is running low on available space (4.06GB available) and Windows updates cannot be installed. Tried Disk...
  8. Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space: I'm running Windows 10 on a Bootcamp'd MacBook Pro with 256G of SSD of which about 135G is allocated to the Windows partition (according to Properties in Explorer). It is running low on available space (4.06GB available) and Windows updates cannot be installed. Tried Disk...
  9. Free space reduced after drive repair

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Free space reduced after drive repair: I've been having some issues with my disk constantly being 100% used by "system" after downloading and installing some windows updates, whenever I check in the task manager, I searched for solutions and found a number of methods including repairing my C drive. It was scanned...
  10. Disk cleanup selection in order to free space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk cleanup selection in order to free space: Hi I need to free space on my C: drive because right now I have only 27 GB of free space. I would like to know : 1) Do you recommend to select "compress your OS drive" in the Disk Cleanup in order to free space, and what are the consequences of doing that? 2) Is it safe...