Windows 10: Free space reduced after drive repair

Discus and support Free space reduced after drive repair in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've been having some issues with my disk constantly being 100% used by "system" after downloading and installing some windows updates, whenever I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ΧάρηςJJ, May 2, 2019.

1. Free space reduced after drive repair

I've been having some issues with my disk constantly being 100% used by "system" after downloading and installing some windows updates, whenever I check in the task manager, I searched for solutions and found a number of methods including repairing my C drive. It was scanned and repaired successfully (after a long wait), unfortunately my 100% disk usage issue is still there, but something else happened too, my C drive's free space went from 67gb to 42gb just like that. I have no idea why and I couldn't find any questions related to mine. Some more background on the issues I've been having lately. It all started when I decided to perform a defrag on my drive, it was 26% fragmented, but it froze in the first relocating process, so I cancelled it. Then I decided to perform a disk cleanup first and try again, but, the disk cleanup process froze too, during "windows update cleanup", I had 30gb worth of windows update files listed in the scan results list. The first thing I did was check for new windows updates, I found many, and after numerous attempts I managed to download and install them. Disk cleanup stalls again, same progress percentage, windows update cleanup, but this time the files were smaller, from 30gb to 11gb, my free space was the same all along though. More windows updates, more reboots, windows update files go from 11gb to a couple of hundred megabytes, but cleanup stalls once again. I performed sfc scannow, no problems, ran the update troubleshooter, all it did was check for pending updates and marked that as a fix. EVENTUALLY, the disk cleanup is complete, BUT, no windows update files are on the list, nor did they show up in the cleanup process. After I was done with some final pending updates, the issue with the disk usage came up, and that's where the rest starts. Also.. I just tried another disk cleanup, and it stalls again on the exact same thing. Oddly enough, I had tried it in safe mode too, it didn't work there either, not with the windows update files included in the cleanup.

:)

ΧάρηςJJ, May 2, 2019
  2. Joan Pin Win User

disk space reduced after media creation tool

Hi Sarah,

One of the possible reasons why your disk space was reduced is due to an unallocated disk space on your partitions. For us to isolate your concern, we suggest that you check your device's partition. To do this, follow the steps provided below:

• Type Computer Management on Ask me anything and press
      Enter.
    • Select Storage and click on Disk Management.
    • Send us a screenshot.
    We look forward to your response.

Joan Pin, May 2, 2019
  3. Lost space of Pen Drive

Hello,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

• Have you tried connecting to a different computer?
    I suggest you to connect the USB flash drive to a different computer and check.

First back up all the data from your USB drive to another location.

I suggest you to connect the USB flash drive to a different computer and check.

Let us try the following steps, and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to refresh the drive letter and then try to rescan the drives that are connect to the computer and check.

To refresh drive letter:

• Open Computer Management (Local).
    • In the console tree, click Computer Management (Local), click
      Storage, and then click Disk Management.
    • Click Action, and then click Refresh.
    • Once you have refreshed connect the new zip drive and to update hardware information, click Rescan Disks instead.
    Step 2: For unallocated space on USB drive

• Press the Windows key, and type Diskpart.

• Click the result to open the DiskPart command prompt window.

• In the command prompt window, type list disk and hit Enter.

• The removable USB drive or hard disk will be shown under
      Disk 1.

• Type in the following commands and hit Enter.
    select disk 1

Clean

create partition primary

• The first command selects your removable USB drive.

• The Clean command deletes all the current partitions present on the USB drive.

• The Create primary partition creates a fresh partition and allocates all the unallocated space on this fresh partition.

• Type Exit to close the command prompt window.

• Unplug your USB drive and plug it back again.

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, May 2, 2019
  4. Free space reduced after drive repair

Windows is taking up too much hard drive space.

Hi Trisha,

Windows might have been accumulated large drive space due to installed apps, temporary files, or etc. For us to identify which item mostly accumulates your drive space, we suggest that you check it here:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Storage, and then press Enter.
    • Under Local Storage, click on This
      PC (CFree space reduced after drive repair :).
    • On this window, you will see which item mot accumulate your drive space.

We also recommend that you follow the steps given on this article on how to
    free up drive space in Windows 10
    . Click on every drop down to view the steps.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Janeane Cru, May 2, 2019
Thema:

Free space reduced after drive repair

1. Free space reduced after drive repair - Similar Threads - Free space reduced

2. C drive free space reduced by hidden files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive free space reduced by hidden files: Hello, everyone, I'm Arjun.My C drive is showing wrong information about the space used.All the folders in the C driver cumulatively use 62.5GB and my C drive is about 195GB.But the C drive is showing the amount of free space is only 92.6GB.Where is this space approx. 40GB...
  3. C drive free space reduced by hidden files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive free space reduced by hidden files: Hello, everyone, I'm Arjun.My C drive is showing wrong information about the space used.All the folders in the C driver cumulatively use 62.5GB and my C drive is about 195GB.But the C drive is showing the amount of free space is only 92.6GB.Where is this space approx. 40GB...
  4. C drive free space reduced by hidden files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. C drive free space is reducing automatically

C drive free space is reducing automatically: Hello,I have windows 10 operating system. Last day I updated the windows then suddenly today I saw that my C drive free space has been reduced. Before update it was 96 gb of free space now it has 75 gb free space. How can I get more free space ?Is there anything to clean up?...
  6. C drive free space is reducing automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive free space is reducing automatically: Hello,I have windows 10 operating system. Last day I updated the windows then suddenly today I saw that my C drive free space has been reduced. Before update it was 96 gb of free space now it has 75 gb free space. How can I get more free space ?Is there anything to clean up?...
  7. C drive free space is reducing automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Space reducing on C drive after restart

Space reducing on C drive after restart: My c drive is getting filled because of apps and features everytime I restart my pc. I only have 2 gb of apps when I checked. Pls help me *Original title: Please help me...
  9. Free space reduced after drive repair and disk cleanup issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Free space reduced after drive repair and disk cleanup issues: I've been having some issues with my disk constantly being 100% used by "system" after downloading and installing some windows updates, whenever I check in the task manager, I searched for solutions and found a number of methods including repairing my C drive. It was scanned...
  10. Freeing Space in this Small Drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Freeing Space in this Small Drive: Hi! I've got 1.45GB free of 28.6GB in my computer. How do I free up space (like 6GB more) so I can install a program? I tried to find programs that take up additional spaces but I couldn't find any. Is Windows 10 occupying most of the 28.6GB of this computer? What can I do...