Windows 10: Free space remains unchanged after 5 GB move

Discus and support Free space remains unchanged after 5 GB move in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I copied 5 GB of files from C:\Users\terry\OneDrive\Documents\MAGIX downloads, (SSD) to D (HD), then deleted the originals. But free space on C is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Terrypin, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Terrypin Win User

Free space remains unchanged after 5 GB move

I copied 5 GB of files from C:\Users\terry\OneDrive\Documents\MAGIX downloads, (SSD) to D (HD), then deleted the originals. But free space on C is still reported as unchanged. That's in various places, including running diskmgmt.msc.

I'll probably move it back to test it again and check that I wasn't imagining the number initially shown. But meanwhile, could there be any other explanation please?

--------------------
    Edit:
    Moved 1 GB back and free space was correctly shown reduced. But on then deleting, with the figure unchanged as before, I noticed a small message in the window 'Working on it...' That was 5 minutes ago. What's to work on?

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Feb 1, 2017

2. C free space remains unchanged after 5 GB move.

Duh - thanks both! Forgot about the recycle bin.

Any thoughts on that persistent message?

terrypinVG, Feb 1, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    C free space remains unchanged after 5 GB move.

The "Working on it . . ." message is normally after you have performed some file management and Windows File Explorer is rebuilding the view (icon cache . . .etc.) and is nothing to worry about!

DaveM121, Feb 1, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Did you SHIFT delete (permanent) or delete to the recycle bin? If lots of files were involved, the latter might explain what you're seeing.

dalchina, Feb 1, 2017
  5. Terrypin Win User
    Duh - thanks! Forgot about the recycle bin.
    Any thoughts on that persistent message?

Terrypin, Feb 1, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    If there are lots of files Windows does take time to process them, unfortunately. Just my observation. I've not tried making a comparison between a SSD and a HDD.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Free space remains unchanged after 5 GB move - Similar Threads - Free space remains

2. Is there a way to move free space from "D" to "C"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to move free space from "D" to "C"?: All my apps are on "C'. My work & reports are on the "D" drive.It has built up over time & now it locks up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-move-free-space-from-d-to-c/04427e38-7803-429f-9981-afe84a2b07ed
  3. Is there a way to move free space from "D" to "C"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to move free space from "D" to "C"?: All my apps are on "C'. My work & reports are on the "D" drive.It has built up over time & now it locks up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-move-free-space-from-d-to-c/04427e38-7803-429f-9981-afe84a2b07ed
  4. Is there a way to move free space from "D" to "C"?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Cannot partition SSD, despite 90 gb free space.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot partition SSD, despite 90 gb free space.: 92 gb of free space. Want to install ubuntu for work. 225 gig ssd cannot be partitioned, shrink volume enable only to shrink 2147 mbs which doesnt make sense? submitted by /u/Caveman014 [link] [comments]...
  6. 8 GB of free space needed on C:

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    8 GB of free space needed on C:: I have a stream book that was given to me that I would really like to reset it back to its factory default however it will not allow me to reset it because it doesn’t have enough space I tried to put a USB into it to create a USB boot drive but the media creation tool stops...
  7. Where is the remaining space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Where is the remaining space: [ATTACH] So where is the remaining ~400gb. Can I get it back? if yes then how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-is-the-remaining-space/a7a87096-2b8f-4df4-b516-18c0bb2bcfe2"
  8. c drive went from 5 gb remaining to 151 gb overnight while PC was off

c drive went from 5 gb remaining to 151 gb overnight while PC was off: I had low HD space left on the C drive. THe drive has always been compressed. Last night I powered off the PC with 5 gb free space, powered on this morning and now 151GB remaining. The drive is an SSD. Ideas?...
  9. 300+ gb of free space missing !

300+ gb of free space missing !: hi everyone ! so i have a 931 gb partition . all the files on that partition occupy only 484 GB . computer says i have only 179 GB of free space . what happened to the other 300 gb ? how could i restore them ? thanks [ATTACH] https://postimg.cc/xqtpygY5...
  10. Free space on harddrive randomly jumped from ~65 GB to ~108 GB

in Windows 10 Support
    Free space on harddrive randomly jumped from ~65 GB to ~108 GB: My laptop is on Windows 10. Normally, I only use my laptop when I am out of town. A few weeks ago, I had about 65 GB of free space on my main partition. A couple days ago when I started my vacation, I noticed that it jumped up to 74 GB. I presumed that was because some...