Windows 10: Free space shredding

Discus and support Free space shredding in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hey everyone, So i was using the iobit file shredder software to shred the empty space of my d drive but had to cancel it prematurely. During this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ThatguyThere, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Free space shredding

Hey everyone,

So i was using the iobit file shredder software to shred the empty space of my d drive but had to cancel it prematurely. During this process it froze and I tried to cancel the process.

Now my harddrive is super slow and I have over a million 0kb files created on the drive and can't seem to remove.
    Please let me know if some of you know how to fix this/ have any ideas

Many thanks for reading

Using win 10 pro version 1909

Free space shredding [​IMG]

:)

ThatguyThere, Apr 14, 2020
  2. Jack-C Win User

cannot shred folder

Windows 10 will let me delete a folder on boot drive C: but will not let me shred the folder with several of the file shredder programs. I can shred all individual files. Also If I copy the folder to my D drive, I can shred the folder, but not from the C
    (boot) drive. The C drive is solid state, the D drive is SATA, if that makes any difference.

Does Windows lock folders on the boot drive? Can I unlock specific folders so that they may be shredded if I choose?

Many thanks for suggestions.

Jack

Jack-C, Apr 14, 2020
  3. Permissions Issue re 'Shredding' files in 'Temporary Files' Folder

At long last, McAfee Technical Support have confirmed that there is a bug in their shredding code, which is in both their Internet Security & Total Protection products.

Manifestation

If you try to shred a file with a <space> character in file name, the file will not be shredded; if there is no <space> character in the file name it will.

So

'file name.ext' will not shred

but

'filename.ext' will

The same issue has been identified with folder names.

WorkAround

Obvious I know, but rename the file / folder to remove any spaces & then shred it.

McAfee are still working on a permanent fix.

Ian Mosley, Apr 14, 2020
  4. Jack-C Win User

Free space shredding

cannot shred folder

Yes, Andre. I am able to delete and shred a folder in safe mode from C: drive. Perhaps that provides some information about why I have the problem.

Does this help to guide me in how to shred a folder in normal mode?

I presume Windows is locking folders on my boot drive C: and preventing shredding (but not standard deleting), but Windows permits it on the D: drive.

Is there any way to change the folder attributes on C: to permit what I want to do?

Thanks.

Jack

Jack-C, Apr 14, 2020
Thema:

Free space shredding

1. Free space shredding - Similar Threads - Free space shredding

2. unable to free space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    unable to free space: unable to free up some spaces https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-free-space/6c1dd8f7-b6d5-4faf-9803-97425e738451
  3. free up space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    free up space: I am constantly deleting files so that my drive can be in the blue not red with space. I am not sure what to remove to get it in the blue again. This happens a lot to me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-space/a15e3ad0-46ff-40cc-bd11-ce678cf07aac
  4. free up space

free up space: HOw do I transfer files from C drive to D drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-space/3387af44-6d0c-46b2-af12-b325a86bdb5f
  5. Free Space

in Windows 10 Customization
    Free Space: I have a 500Gb SSD drive and checking the storage in settings it told me that the drive had 476Gb which I understood of which 367Gb were used and 109Gb were free. Hoping to free up some space and not wanting to delete my pictures or Music, I decided to tidy up my folders and...
  6. free space on ssd

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    free space on ssd: My skill testing question is: why is it that in Explorer, I'll see the free space on my SSD down, let's say, about 30 Gigs. After a nice fresh reboot, that space is freed up. It seems this is is not a continual thing but once in a bit, I'll notice the free space isn't what...
  7. Free storage space

Free storage space: I am having trouble clearing storage on my PC disk. My laptop has used 28.9 GB of 29 GB. I deleted apps and files. The use of storage on this laptop is now at 28.3 GB. I want to at least delete 10 GB or clear the disk out. I am trying to restore my iPhone using the iTunes app...
  8. Freeing Disk Space

Freeing Disk Space: I originally had Windows XP on my laptop but updated to Windows 10 awhile ago (and am getting current updates). Can I remove Windows XP from my laptop or will that affect how Windows 10 operates?...
  9. free up space

free up space: how do I free up space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-space/0e7474ee-5360-483a-9e9e-7342c9c5f530"
  10. freeing space for update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    freeing space for update: When I try to remove my temporary files to free up space for the Microsoft update, I click on the button and it takes a couple seconds then it stops but no files are deleted. no space is freed up. I don't know what to do. PLEASE HELP ME!!...