Windows 10: Free space slowly going down?

Discus and support Free space slowly going down? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi. So my free system storage is slowly going down by 1 gig every 2 ish minutes. I have ran multiple full scans with Malwarebytes, a windows offline... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Daniel_190, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Free space slowly going down?

Hi.

So my free system storage is slowly going down by 1 gig every 2 ish minutes.

I have ran multiple full scans with Malwarebytes, a windows offline scan, and a rootkit detection tool.

nothing, nothing, and nothing.

I reset my pc, same problem.

I had a blue screen of death before I reset - actually.

what's more is I can't access the bios anymore.

is this normal?

if not would I be forced to format my drive?

and if so what tool would I use because I can't open the bios anymore.

Help would be greatly appreciated

Edit: actually I can get into my bios if I restart sometimes

:)

Daniel_190, Mar 24, 2021
  2. BlackOwl Win User

Windows running slowly in specific situations

Over the last few days (since maybe Thursday but definitely Friday) my Win10 machine has been running slowly in certain situations. The programs iTunes, GSAK, and Unreal Tournament 2004 run slowly in general, much slower than my new hardware has been able to output since I bought it less than two months ago. Other programs are substantially slower than normal to load, but act quite fine once they've been loaded (Sid Meier's Civilization V and Overwatch are two notable exmaples - they take up to six times longer to load than they did this time last week). The change was sudden but not noticeable straightaway.

One further change I've noticed is that whenever I go to shut down or reboot the computer, it tells me it's "Getting Windows ready" despite there being no updates to my knowledge. It tends to hang on that screen for some time before it actually shuts down or reboots - I'm not sure how long it takes as I often lose patience and go and do something else, but it's more than expected.

Steps I've already tried:
    • rebooting
    • antivirus scan
    • uninstalling programs I've installed within the last week
    • rolling back Windows updates (which I've found to be basically impossible)
    • cleaning up the fullest hard drive (I've more than doubled the free space on it)
    • updating my video card drivers
    • defragging all three hard drives

Any ideas?

BlackOwl, Mar 24, 2021
  3. Not enough space even though there is space

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We will surely assist you with the issue. Refer the below steps.

Step 1:

I suggest you to change the file system to NTFS while formatting and then try copying the files and check.

Step 2:

• Take the backup of the data, if you have any important data in it?
      • Let’s format the drive and check.
      • Go to this PC.
      • Right click on the external USB device.
      • Select Format.

Note: Formatting will delete all the data in the device, taking a backup of the data is recommended before performing a format.

Keep us posted for further assistance, we will be glad to help.

Akheel Ahmed, Mar 24, 2021
  4. YOU
    You Win User

Free space slowly going down?

Thinking about Going back to Win8.1

If want to disable IE, still can. However, can't uninstall it like were able to in XP/98/whatever.
    Here's how, although I find it useful in case Chrome or Firefox stops working and have to re-download it. *Wink
    1. Search for turn windows features on or off and click it in the search results.
    • Free space slowly going down? [​IMG]
    2. When the app opens, uncheck Internet Explorer 11.

3. Click Yes on the warning dialog.
    4. Click OK.
    5. Restart for the changes to finish.

Thema:

Free space slowly going down?

1. Free space slowly going down? - Similar Threads - Free space slowly

2. unable to free space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    unable to free space: unable to free up some spaces https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-free-space/6c1dd8f7-b6d5-4faf-9803-97425e738451
  3. free up space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    free up space: I am constantly deleting files so that my drive can be in the blue not red with space. I am not sure what to remove to get it in the blue again. This happens a lot to me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-space/a15e3ad0-46ff-40cc-bd11-ce678cf07aac
  4. Surface Pro storage slowly goes down then frees up dramatically

Surface Pro storage slowly goes down then frees up dramatically: Hi! I have a Surface Pro 4 or at least I think it is. And my storage space keeps going in this endless loop of lots of storage free to a smaller amount. Like last month it was at 129GB free and now it's at 109GB free. I do have some viruses that I was able to delete but I...
  5. free up space

free up space: HOw do I transfer files from C drive to D drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-space/3387af44-6d0c-46b2-af12-b325a86bdb5f
  6. Free Space

in Windows 10 Customization
    Free Space: I have a 500Gb SSD drive and checking the storage in settings it told me that the drive had 476Gb which I understood of which 367Gb were used and 109Gb were free. Hoping to free up some space and not wanting to delete my pictures or Music, I decided to tidy up my folders and...
  7. free space on ssd

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    free space on ssd: My skill testing question is: why is it that in Explorer, I'll see the free space on my SSD down, let's say, about 30 Gigs. After a nice fresh reboot, that space is freed up. It seems this is is not a continual thing but once in a bit, I'll notice the free space isn't what...
  8. SSD Drive Questions--Life Expected Slowly going down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD Drive Questions--Life Expected Slowly going down: Hello Have a few year old Western Digital 250gb SSD, Current Life expectedacy according to Western DIgital SSD Dashboard, now 83 Percent, was at 84 Percent for a long time, just wondering why it keeps going down, I try to prevent as much writes to it as i can. Try to not...
  9. Freeing Disk Space

Freeing Disk Space: I originally had Windows XP on my laptop but updated to Windows 10 awhile ago (and am getting current updates). Can I remove Windows XP from my laptop or will that affect how Windows 10 operates?...
  10. freeing space for update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    freeing space for update: When I try to remove my temporary files to free up space for the Microsoft update, I click on the button and it takes a couple seconds then it stops but no files are deleted. no space is freed up. I don't know what to do. PLEASE HELP ME!!...