Windows 10: Free up disk space prompt

Discus and support Free up disk space prompt in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello I have got a doubt regarding this free up space prompt saying we can't update your device because of low disk space. I want to know that if I go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by srinivas_021, Jan 23, 2022.

1. Free up disk space prompt

Hello I have got a doubt regarding this free up space prompt saying we can't update your device because of low disk space. I want to know that if I go through this prompt and select downloads folder and delete a file by pressing right click delete will the file go to recycle bin or not? Because somewhere I read that sometimes windows doesn't send files to recycle bin and this free up space prompt is different from file explorer

:)

srinivas_021, Jan 23, 2022

2. My disk space is gone

Hi John,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Try to run theSystem Maintenance Troubleshooter.

• Press Windows key + W and type
      Troubleshooting.

• Select Troubleshooting.

• Select view all on the top left corner.

• Click System Maintenance,
      follow onscreen instructions.
    I suggest you to run Check Disk which performs an analysis of the disk. Refer to the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click on Command prompt (Admin).
    • Type chkdsk /f and hit enter.
    For reference:

Tips to free up drive space on your PC:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/free-up-disk-space

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jan 23, 2022
  3. last free disk space after defrag in windows 10had

HI Joshua,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about free storage space after performing disk defragmentation and disk clean. Do not worry, we will help you with this issue.

I would like to inform that the disk defragmentation might have taken up hard drive space if there are errors on the drive.

Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to scan for the shadow storage created on your device as this might be consuming the free storage space.

Follow:

• Log-in as an administrator.
    • Press Windows + X keys from the keyboard, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Accept the UAC (User Account Control) prompt.

• Type vssadmin list shadowstorage into the command prompt

• The results should tell you the amount of storage used and the maximum amount allotted.

• Type vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=[your hard disk]: /On=[your hard disk]: /MaxSize=[how much space you want to allocate]

• You should get a message saying successfully resized the shadow copy storage association, and you should have more free space on your hard drive.

You may run a scan disk command to remove the bad sectors from the hard drive and then run disk cleanup and check if it works.

Step 2: I suggest you to
    Run check disk (chkdsk)
    and check if it helps.

Chkdsk: The
    Chkdsk (Check Disc) scan will try to identify and repair bad sectors found on the hard drive. Any data present on these sectors might be lost in the process. The computer can also go into a no boot state. Proceed at your own risk.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

chkdsk /f
    • You may be asked whether to schedule this volume to be checked next time when you restarts (Y/N).
    • Press Y key on the keyboard and press
      Enter key.
    • Restart the computer and check.

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance on this issue. We will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 23, 2022
  4. Joan Pin Win User

Free up disk space prompt

disk space reduced after media creation tool

Hi Sarah,

One of the possible reasons why your disk space was reduced is due to an unallocated disk space on your partitions. For us to isolate your concern, we suggest that you check your device's partition. To do this, follow the steps provided below:

• Type Computer Management on Ask me anything and press
      Enter.
    • Select Storage and click on Disk Management.
    • Send us a screenshot.
    We look forward to your response.

Joan Pin, Jan 23, 2022
Thema:

Free up disk space prompt

1. Free up disk space prompt - Similar Threads - Free disk space

2. how to free up disk space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to free up disk space: how to free up disc space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-free-up-disk-space/85f569b4-cb7f-479a-ac1e-b07e10b7ce40
  3. how to free up disk space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to free up disk space: how to free up disc space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-free-up-disk-space/85f569b4-cb7f-479a-ac1e-b07e10b7ce40
  4. Need to Free Up Disk Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to Free Up Disk Space: I am trying to free up disk space. Can I delete a Users folder titled TEMP? ie This PC\Local Disk C \Users\TEMP? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-free-up-disk-space/5f142a07-7eab-4562-bfd1-5fa82e4e26e8
  5. Need to Free Up Disk Space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to Free Up Disk Space: I am trying to free up disk space. Can I delete a Users folder titled TEMP? ie This PC\Local Disk C \Users\TEMP? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-free-up-disk-space/5f142a07-7eab-4562-bfd1-5fa82e4e26e8
  6. Free up disk space prompt

Free up disk space prompt: Hello I have got a doubt regarding this free up space prompt saying we can't update your device because of low disk space. I want to know that if I go through this prompt and select downloads folder and delete a file by pressing right click delete will the file go to recycle...
  7. Free up disk space prompt

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Free up disk space prompt: Hello I have got a doubt regarding this free up space prompt saying we can't update your device because of low disk space. I want to know that if I go through this prompt and select downloads folder and delete a file by pressing right click delete will the file go to recycle...
  8. Disk space isn’t freeing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk space isn’t freeing up: Ive had low disc space for two years now but i never got around to fixing it for some reason.I have been trying nonstop to free up disk space ive used disk cleanup ive tried to merge the disks but nothing works please please help i would appreciate it...
  9. Freeing up Disk Space??

Freeing up Disk Space??: My computer is almost new with almost no programs added. I've also gone through and deleted some unwanted programs. Yet it won't let me add anything new because it says I don't have enough disk space. My sister thinks I may have a virus but I can't even install anti-virus...
  10. disk storage: freeing up space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    disk storage: freeing up space: Microsoft: In the change how free up space automatically, I had 3.08 GB of space freed up. But it dropped down to 3.06 GB. I managed to free up space and it went up to 3.07 but now, it dropped down to 2.73 GB. What happened there? Is it a bug or is that normal or what is...