Windows 10: Free upgrade eligibility check

Discus and support Free upgrade eligibility check in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My computer currently has a Windows 7 x64 upgrade license on it (with all the reinstall annoyances that entails) - originally it was Vista x32. I just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by shihni, Dec 20, 2015.

1. shihni Win User

Free upgrade eligibility check

My computer currently has a Windows 7 x64 upgrade license on it (with all the reinstall annoyances that entails) - originally it was Vista x32. I just wanted to verify that upgrade keys are eligible for the free Windows 10 promo before I start the download, and I can't seem to find anything via search.

It would also simplify where I do the download initially, as hopefully I'll be upgrading two PCs (the other is a HTPC running 8.1).

Thanks in advance!

:)

shihni, Dec 20, 2015

2. windows dvd player app purchase

Hi Philip,

The Windows DVD Player app is available for free for eligible Windows 10 upgrades. If your computer is eligible, you can download it from the Windows Store. Check this
    article fro more information.

For other questions or concerns, feel free to share them with us here.

Michelle Vil, Dec 20, 2015
  3. 'Get Windows 10′ app shows:

The line through $119 implies that you are eligible for the free upgrade to W10, so it won't cost $119.

If you're not eligible for the free upgrade to W10, the price will be $119 to upgrade.

Patrick Barker, Dec 20, 2015
  4. CmmTch Win User

I had a retail upgrade Win7 Home x64 cd, upgraded from retail XP, I had no trouble with upgrading to W10 Home.

I would use the W10 icon in the taskbar and upgrade from that, just follow what it says and you shouldn't have any problems with activation. I didn't and I was the same situation with an upgrade Win7 install.

MS really wants to move all genuine 7, 8, & 8.1 windows installs to 10.

CmmTch, Dec 20, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    I have 3 PCs: 2 desktops, and one laptop. The desktops were running 8.1 X64, and the laptop 7 X64. All three were upgrade licenses.

They now all have the free Windows 10 upgrade installed and activated on them. Don't worry about it.

The latest Win 10 build is supposed to be able to accept a license key from a qualifying OS to do a clean install. I haven't tried that, and can't verify that it'll accept an upgrade key. (I clean installed on one of the desktops, but only after an initial upgrade install.)

My personal preference is to upgrade using a downloaded .iso, but I guess I like at least an illusion of control.

bobkn, Dec 20, 2015
  6. mrgeek Win User
    "It would also simplify where I do the download initially, as hopefully I'll be upgrading two PCs"

Expand the 'using the media creation tool' sections at the bottom of this page and use the tool to download an image to burn to DVD to use on all your PCs w/o downloading to each individually - Download Windows 10

mrgeek, Dec 20, 2015
  7. shihni Win User
    Thanks guys, that was exactly the reassurance I was looking for *Biggrin

shihni, Dec 20, 2015
  8. KradVlees Win User

My issue is different but since the thread deals with the compatibility check.....
    When I use the Upgrade Icon, I get the message "There are no Supported Networking Devices"
    I currently have 2 NICS in my system.
    1 is the Onboard Realtek (shows as :Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller in Device Manager)
    the other is an older Wifi card (shows as Ralink RT2500 Wireless LAN Card)
    According to Windows Compatible Products List

My Onboard is Supported by Win10.
    Is it possible that the Checker is getting to the WIFI first and seeing that it isn't compatible, just ignores the Onboard one?
    The Wireless is used to connect to Net (Router is upstairs and running Cat5 is NOT an option Nor is Moving router) while the Onboard is used for connection to other computers and a printer down here.
    Any ideas on how to get around this?
    Thanks

KradVlees, Dec 28, 2015
  9. Berton Win User
    What I'd do is use the Media Creation Tool to download the appropriate version of Win10, burn the .iso file to a DVD then remove the Wi-Fi card from the computer, install Win10 from the disc and when it's running try the Wi-Fi card again.

Berton, Dec 28, 2015
  10. bobkn Win User
    Good idea.

I'd prefer a USB flash drive (faster installation), but it's not a major consideration.

I'm not optimistic that good Win 10 X64 drivers exist for a Ralink RT2500. I hope that replacing it, if necessary, isn't burdensome.

bobkn, Dec 28, 2015
  11. Berton Win User
    A new PCIe X1 or PCI Wi-Fi card shouldn't be too expensive and there's even some good USB Wi-Fi dongles available.

Berton, Dec 28, 2015
  12. shihni Win User
    Since others have responded to the rest of your question, I'll address this. My previous apartment had one phone jack - period - located in the living room. Since I was on DSL, and I had the computer in the spare bedroom, it was either use wireless or run a cable across the living room and down the hall. Which I didn't want to do. So, I used a wireless dongle until I discovered the beauty that is powerline adapters.

These run your internet connection through the electrical lines in your house, and the adapters are basically just boxes with an ethernet port. But, it means that you can get a 'wired' connection - nearly as good as a physical one - to any computer in the house as long as there's a spare wall socket nearby.

Click here: Powerline Networking, Powerline Adapters - Newegg.com
    I used a now-discontinued TP-Link one, and it was a fabulous $40 investment.

shihni, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Free upgrade eligibility check - Similar Threads - Free upgrade eligibility

2. The Windows 11 eligibility check said that my processor isn't eligible although it's on the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The Windows 11 eligibility check said that my processor isn't eligible although it's on the...: As the question says, the check told me that my processor isn't eligible but it's on the eligible processor list. It's an IntelR CoreTM i3-7100U CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz. I've got 16gb RAM....
  3. The Windows 11 eligibility check said that my processor isn't eligible although it's on the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Windows 11 eligibility check said that my processor isn't eligible although it's on the...: As the question says, the check told me that my processor isn't eligible but it's on the eligible processor list. It's an IntelR CoreTM i3-7100U CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz. I've got 16gb RAM....
  4. PC Health Check Got it Wrong on Windows 11 Upgrade Eligibility?

PC Health Check Got it Wrong on Windows 11 Upgrade Eligibility?: I ran the PC Health Check app to check eligibility for Windows 7, and it returned a NO based on my processor. I have an 8-Core Intel i7 at 3.4GHz. That seems to meet the minimum requirements. What gives? How do I appeal?? Details: Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz...
  5. PC Health Check Got it Wrong on Windows 11 Upgrade Eligibility?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Health Check Got it Wrong on Windows 11 Upgrade Eligibility?: I ran the PC Health Check app to check eligibility for Windows 7, and it returned a NO based on my processor. I have an 8-Core Intel i7 at 3.4GHz. That seems to meet the minimum requirements. What gives? How do I appeal?? Details: Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz...
  6. Eligible PC Showing Not Eligible for Windows 11 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Eligible PC Showing Not Eligible for Windows 11 Upgrade: Hi, I'm trying to figure out why my PC is not meeting the requirements for Windows 11. I've run the pc health check app and my results come back as this :- I have verified that secure boot is enabled in bios and I've clearedunloaded and loaded the keys- I have quad core 3gz...
  7. Eligible PC Showing Not Eligible for Windows 11 Upgrade

Eligible PC Showing Not Eligible for Windows 11 Upgrade: Hi, I'm trying to figure out why my PC is not meeting the requirements for Windows 11. I've run the pc health check app and my results come back as this :- I have verified that secure boot is enabled in bios and I've clearedunloaded and loaded the keys- I have quad core 3gz...
  8. Eligible PC Showing Not Eligible for Windows 11 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Windows 10 product key upgrade eligibility CHECK online

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 product key upgrade eligibility CHECK online: We have a lot of laptops that we purchased in 2016 and then downgraded to Windows 7 Pro. We do know the product keys. However, BEFORE we install Windows 10 on each of these 9 identical laptops we must know if these product keys will also activate Windows 10. I have so far,...
  10. YES, Windows 7 RTM and Windows 8 Are eligible for free upgrade offer

in Windows 10 Support
    YES, Windows 7 RTM and Windows 8 Are eligible for free upgrade offer: There are a lot of people going around telling people that you have to be on Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 to be eligible for the free upgrade. THIS IS NOT TRUE. Any consumer x86/64 version of Windows 7 or Windows 8.x (ie, not corporate versions) is eligible for the free...