Windows 10: Free Windows 10 Now Looks A Terrible Deal

Discus and support Free Windows 10 Now Looks A Terrible Deal in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The author is making it vague.. when it's not. Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by groze, Jul 10, 2015.

1. BunnyJ New Member

Free Windows 10 Now Looks A Terrible Deal

The author is making it vague.. when it's not.

BunnyJ, Jul 10, 2015
  2. dmholt57 Win User

Wow...What a Y10K scenario...*chuckle

dmholt57, Jul 10, 2015
  3. richc46 Win User
    This is the situation. MS is a US Company, and there are certain accounting rules that they must adhere to. The guidelines are contained in FASB (Financial Accounting Standards Board). The particular rule, discussed here, says that they must account for the income generated due to Windows 10, in the way that has been presented. They cannot report the income all at once, it must be reported over a certain number of years. The 2 and 4 years, at this point, is an assumption that MS has made so that they could account for their income using a method that conforms to FASB.
    I cannot say what MS will actually do, but they have not given any hints based upon the article that is under discussion.
    We just have to wait. MS, a major Corp, must first come up with an idea, get approval by lawyers and then the public relations people must determine the best way to present it.

richc46, Jul 10, 2015
  4. besb Win User

The For's MS will shout rubbish, the against M$ will shout broken promise
    the evil empire strikes again.
    BUT
    This is a pure business model problem/strategy.
    I do not know what will happen two years down the line.
    I am quite sure MS do not know all the answers yet.

They are changing their model seeking revenue from
    - phones and tablets
    - store sales
    - advertising push revenue
    - even a slice of the credit card revenue with store-wifi
    - onedrive charges online usage.
    - annual licence fees for office etc.
    - Ms accounts plus onedrive will give them unrivalled volumes of data and contacts for analysis.
    Hence the original marketing push.

Now the strategists, financial analysts and lawyers are more heavily involved and hence they are now being very careful about what they promise and need to make it slightly vague so it can change.

Look what happened in the UK to politicians who made manifesto promises and reneged on them.
    The Libdems were wiped out. Cameron's stance on red-lines for EU exit are changing constantly.
    Anybody's guess on Greek exit from the Euro as deadline after deadline is passed.

If revenue fails to materialize the model has to be tweaked or shares fall.

It is entirely up to each individual user to protect their own investment.
    Don't upgrade, stay with the insider program or go with the flow and if later down the line you feel you are being ripped off revert to your own back-up model (you have one of course)
    In my case I can get back to Xp, Vista(Never!), 7 or 8.1 with limited hassle.

5. Boozad Win User
    Possibly the biggest PoS article I've read on W10 yet, utter scaremongering bollocks. So is this thread.

Boozad, Jul 10, 2015
  6. groze Win User
    richc46

I think you are right on (I am not saying that because you are a mod). I think we know each other from a previous forum or even newsgroups that we use to be on.

I think Forbes should of waited for more information before publishing an article by that just my opinion. A lot of people respect Forbes, unless something has changed that I am not aware of. What I think the reason that Forbes posted the article is so they could push Microsoft to open up faster, but I don't know if that will work and again that is my opinion.

groze, Jul 10, 2015
  7. Dude Win User
    A quote from the article

I fixed it

8. Boozad Win User

Waited for what information? The bollocks he's written was disproved months ago.

Boozad, Jul 10, 2015
  9. Mystere Win User
    Here's a different article, posted well over a week ago, that says things different.

With the transition to Windows as a service, Microsoft changes up revenue recognition

Mystere, Jul 10, 2015
  10. Gary Win User
  11. groze Win User
    @Gary

I can't see Microsoft ending support for windows 10 before they end support for 7 or 8.1 that wouldn't be logical.

I already posted somewhere, that I am waiting on what Microsoft say's is the lifecycle of a device is. That doesn't mean I won't continue to use windows 10. It doesn't matter, since someone gave me a windows 7 retail version. I can now run both windows 7 & windows 10, and Xubuntu on a triple boot system.

groze, Jul 10, 2015
  12. Gary Win User
    No since Windows 10 is the last OS they are going to release it will be interesting to even know what it's life cycle will be. It will have to be based on Build Numbers I suppose. I also have a retail Windows 7 and I plan on making at least one clone of it. I also intend to keep using Windows 10.

13. dmholt57 Win User

Not the last OS, just last with Windows monicker... *Wink

dmholt57, Jul 10, 2015
  14. Sandman Win User
    Exactly. However, the shelf life hasn't been determined, either. I'm on the fence so far, I like W10... and plan to run it on opening day, but nowhere yet have a seen an 'official' EOL on W10, in terms of support from day 1, without considering 'extra' programming, etc.
    I think this Forbes article has brought into public some unanswered questions, as I do not always upgrade my PC every 2-3 years, and would like to know when I will no longer get any basic OS support, in the form of patches/fixes/upgrades.
    I just built this brand new, 100% machine (PC) 2 months ago, and I think possibly like most builders, plan on it lasting 3-5 years or so before any new/major upgrades hardware-wise.
    It would just be nice to know answers to some folks' questions,, when they arise, in a transparent mode.

Sandman, Jul 10, 2015
  15. I fail to see how there's any confusion.

1. Any valid Windows 10 license will be a permanent license, and will NOT expire after a set period of time.

2. If you currently do not have a valid Windows 7 or 8 license you will have to pay for a Windows 10 license

3. If you have a valid Windows 7 or 8 license that is NOT a volume license, you have until July 29th, 2016 to upgrade to a (permanent) license of Windows 10. After July 29th, 2016 you will have to pay for a Windows 10 license

FuturDreamz, Jul 10, 2015
Thema:

1. Free Windows 10 Now Looks A Terrible Deal - Similar Threads - Free Looks Terrible

2. Why is Microsoft So Terrible Now?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Microsoft So Terrible Now?: Why is Microsoft such a steaming pile of bull hockey? It has gotten progressively worse and worse and yet my employers still mandate it. I'm considering killing myself or quitting my job, but first I wanted to check to see whether Microsoft was salvageable.Right now, I'm on...
  3. Looking for a good free antivirus for windows 10.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Looking for a good free antivirus for windows 10.: Is there a good free antivirus recommendable for Windows 10. Not sure if the Defender which comes with Windows 10 is good enough https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/looking-for-a-good-free-antivirus-for-windows-10/40ab8912-55cb-403e-99b3-36f905e398c0
  4. The new movies & tv icon looks... terrible

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The new movies & tv icon looks... terrible: [ATTACH] Is there any way to roll back to the old icon? https://preview.redd.it/sa58nowj8rk41.jpg?width=104&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=1da67b88a7d1e105ad34305f4cb8f8620da20d04 submitted by /u/Trementation [link] [comments]...
  5. 30 FPS video looks terrible in fullscreen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    30 FPS video looks terrible in fullscreen: I've been recording videos with my gopro at 4K 30 FPS. I download the clips on to my computer and when I view them in a small window on a 4k 60 Hz monitor, it looks great and smooth. However, when I put the video into fullscreen mode or simply increase the size of the window,...
  6. Uploaded photos to social media look terrible.

in Browsers and Email
    Uploaded photos to social media look terrible.: No matter what platform I try to post to for my business, the image looks horrible. LinkedIn, FB, IG- it doesn't matter. Just started after I upgraded to build 1903. Was working fine before that. Any one know what the heck could be causing this? As you can see, the image on...
  7. Newspaper looks terrible.

in Browsers and Email
    Newspaper looks terrible.: As you can see in the link,my newspaper look terrible in my browser edge.I had contact with the Publisher but they have no solution. With other browsers i have no problem.So,what is the problem here? http://users.telenet.be/solidjumbo/Foto/Krant.JPG 98821
  8. looking for a couple of tweaks for windows 10 free version

in Windows 10 Support
    looking for a couple of tweaks for windows 10 free version: Either a cmd file or registry tweak to:- 1) enable and disable UAC. In Gpedit.msc it is near the bottom and says use Administrator setting for all admin prompts or something and has to be set to disable to turn UAC off and enable to turn UAC on. A system restart is always...
  9. Free Windows 10 Not Such a Big Deal Anymore

in Windows 10 News
    Free Windows 10 Not Such a Big Deal Anymore: Windows 10 is work in progress at Microsoft, so it's pretty clear that not all details are available right now despite the avalanche of rumors that have reached our ears in the last couple of months. People close to the matter revealed earlier this year that Microsoft was...
  10. Looking for a super-deal on laptop, suggestions?

in Windows 10 Support
    Looking for a super-deal on laptop, suggestions?: Notes: Looking for a solid performer that will last for years at a low price. No major gaming or 3d rendering, some usage of photoshop and dreamweaver, older games, a database application, outlook with fairly sizable mailbox, skype, excel, word, browsing, etc......