Windows 10: Free Windows 10 Now Looks A Terrible Deal

Discus and support Free Windows 10 Now Looks A Terrible Deal in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I fail to see how there's any confusion. 1. Any valid Windows 10 license will be a permanent license, and will NOT expire after a set period of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by groze, Jul 10, 2015.

1. DKW
    DKW Win User

Free Windows 10 Now Looks A Terrible Deal

Sounds good!

2. This has been known since day one and yet all these bloggers continually post sensational headlines.(Gordon Kelly is up there with the worst) The confusion bloggers always cause in the tech world just so they can get a few more clicks is frustrating. Really Gordon Kelly?, you can't even keep your own opinion straight from one article to the next! I know other tech sites like the verge tend to lean towards apple but I haven't seen them stoop this low. Why make it so complicated? It's not like we are little miss riding hood being chased by the big bad wolf(Microsoft). Take a look at all of the titles for his articles Gordon Kelly He might as well be a writer for yahoo.

I don't always trust Microsoft when it comes to logos, names and their vision which can do a 180, but I do honestly feel they have our best interest in mind as much as any business can.

Simple things like adding the green progress bars back to the task-bar, shows they listen.

Tldr If you like what you see with windows 10 upgrade and feel good about it, Microsoft isn't going to insert some water mark or pop up and make you start paying, the huge users base wouldn't allow it.

welcometoheaven, Jul 10, 2015
  3. bromanbro Win User
    bromanbro, Jul 10, 2015
  4. DavidY Win User

Many people had permanent licences for Windows XP, but they are no longer supported.

The question which (as far as I know) Microsoft haven't answered is how long Windows 10 will be supported with (at a minimum) security updates and patches.

For instance I am typing this on an old laptop which came with XP and I've upgraded through to 8.1. The OEM already don't support it (there were no Windows 7 drivers published for instance, let alone Windows 8.x). So you could argue it is already past the 'supported life' of the device.

However it runs 8.1 fine and I know that if the hardware keeps working, I should have security updates to 8.1 until 2023.

I suspect Forbes are being pessimistic (and their figures are about accountancy rather than technical support) but still, Microsoft haven't actually answered the question which I and many others will have:

If I upgraded to Windows 10, how long will I be eligible for updates on this laptop?

DavidY, Jul 10, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    Honestly at this stage I don't think that the "how long will the support will last" should be an issue since Windows 10 is the last OS that MS will come out with the support will never end,, well as long as there is both a MS company and they have windows.

And Forbes is business publication and not a tech journal. Getting tech information from them is just silly.. IMO.

BunnyJ, Jul 10, 2015
  6. DavidY Win User
    Microsoft haven't said that support 'will never end' on any particular computer though.

They have said
    But without telling anyone knowing what the 'supported lifetime' of a device means, they leave it open to speculation and articles like the one in the OP. And it could be that for my old laptop (no longer 'supported' by the OEM), I'd get support for longer under Windows 8.1 than Windows 10.

DavidY, Jul 10, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    What you're saying is correct but I think MS is assuming that the lifetime of any device is between 2-4 years. So after that time a number of users will be getting new devices and thus will have to get a new copy of Win10. What my point is that if a user keeps their device past that time they will still receive support for Win10 for free.

What the author of the article is blurring is the cost for users who opt for a device upgrade after the 2-4 year time period. Yes,, they will have an additional cost but the vast majority of that will be for the hardware and not Win10, IMO. And he just neglects the fact that not everyone will opt to do that.. upgrade their hardware within 4 years. In that situation they will not incur any additional cost for using WIn10.

BunnyJ, Jul 10, 2015
  8. DavidY Win User

You're probably right (I hope you are) - but by not confirming anything, MS leave the issue open for speculation as per this thread.

DavidY, Jul 10, 2015
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    Yes.. but no matter what MS says/posts they will always be people who will try to re-read and think the worst of them.. like in the article in the OP. You/we have to consider the source of the information and what agenda they have. Not all bloggers are either good or reputable,, IMO.

BunnyJ, Jul 10, 2015
  10. Oh God, not that article again. IMHO it's bunk. The 2 to 4 year period is what Microsoft considers to be the life of the device. And is the time frame its using to calculate future revenue. That's all, it has nothing to do with how long the Windows 10 free upgrade will be free. They are projecting future revenue for when all these free upgraded devices die and or are replaced. When they are, Microsoft will then earn income from new Windows sales on the new devices bought as replacements. That's how I read it. The author read something into it that just isn't there.

EDIT: They obviously don't know my buying habits? My devices have all been around a lot longer than 4 years. I don't have the disposable income to replace them that fast.

alphanumeric, Jul 10, 2015
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    Well put.. I plan on keeping my PC for more than 4 years.. it's all new now and I don't need anything faster for quite a while.

Seems some just like to bite on anything posted on the internet and panic.

BunnyJ, Jul 10, 2015
  12. Some do seem to jump on anything negative no matter what the source is and run with it. If it's on the Internet it must be true right? *Doh

13. BunnyJ New Member

LOL.. It's just sad that some don't understand that there are some serious anti MS people and they will do anything they can to put Windows down. I just take all of the reviews with a huge grain of salt,.. what matters most is what I think of the OS and not what others do. Heck, I have to live with it they don't.

In the end of the day:
    "Keep calm and carry on!" *Wink

BunnyJ, Jul 10, 2015
  14. I try not to let it bother me. Most times I just ignore that stuff. That one article has been posted here numerous times like its the gospel truth and a I told you so like comment. Oh well, that's the way it goes some times.

15. groze Win User
Thema:

1. Free Windows 10 Now Looks A Terrible Deal - Similar Threads - Free Looks Terrible

2. Why is Microsoft So Terrible Now?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Microsoft So Terrible Now?: Why is Microsoft such a steaming pile of bull hockey? It has gotten progressively worse and worse and yet my employers still mandate it. I'm considering killing myself or quitting my job, but first I wanted to check to see whether Microsoft was salvageable.Right now, I'm on...
  3. Looking for a good free antivirus for windows 10.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Looking for a good free antivirus for windows 10.: Is there a good free antivirus recommendable for Windows 10. Not sure if the Defender which comes with Windows 10 is good enough https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/looking-for-a-good-free-antivirus-for-windows-10/40ab8912-55cb-403e-99b3-36f905e398c0
  4. The new movies & tv icon looks... terrible

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The new movies & tv icon looks... terrible: [ATTACH] Is there any way to roll back to the old icon? https://preview.redd.it/sa58nowj8rk41.jpg?width=104&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=1da67b88a7d1e105ad34305f4cb8f8620da20d04 submitted by /u/Trementation [link] [comments]...
  5. 30 FPS video looks terrible in fullscreen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    30 FPS video looks terrible in fullscreen: I've been recording videos with my gopro at 4K 30 FPS. I download the clips on to my computer and when I view them in a small window on a 4k 60 Hz monitor, it looks great and smooth. However, when I put the video into fullscreen mode or simply increase the size of the window,...
  6. Uploaded photos to social media look terrible.

in Browsers and Email
    Uploaded photos to social media look terrible.: No matter what platform I try to post to for my business, the image looks horrible. LinkedIn, FB, IG- it doesn't matter. Just started after I upgraded to build 1903. Was working fine before that. Any one know what the heck could be causing this? As you can see, the image on...
  7. Newspaper looks terrible.

in Browsers and Email
    Newspaper looks terrible.: As you can see in the link,my newspaper look terrible in my browser edge.I had contact with the Publisher but they have no solution. With other browsers i have no problem.So,what is the problem here? http://users.telenet.be/solidjumbo/Foto/Krant.JPG 98821
  8. looking for a couple of tweaks for windows 10 free version

in Windows 10 Support
    looking for a couple of tweaks for windows 10 free version: Either a cmd file or registry tweak to:- 1) enable and disable UAC. In Gpedit.msc it is near the bottom and says use Administrator setting for all admin prompts or something and has to be set to disable to turn UAC off and enable to turn UAC on. A system restart is always...
  9. Free Windows 10 Not Such a Big Deal Anymore

in Windows 10 News
    Free Windows 10 Not Such a Big Deal Anymore: Windows 10 is work in progress at Microsoft, so it's pretty clear that not all details are available right now despite the avalanche of rumors that have reached our ears in the last couple of months. People close to the matter revealed earlier this year that Microsoft was...
  10. Looking for a super-deal on laptop, suggestions?

in Windows 10 Support
    Looking for a super-deal on laptop, suggestions?: Notes: Looking for a solid performer that will last for years at a low price. No major gaming or 3d rendering, some usage of photoshop and dreamweaver, older games, a database application, outlook with fairly sizable mailbox, skype, excel, word, browsing, etc......