Windows 10: Free Windows 10 Now Looks A Terrible Deal

Discus and support Free Windows 10 Now Looks A Terrible Deal in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Gotta turn it around, in marketing an arrow pointing down is taken a negative. Glass half full / half empty symptoms, Cliff ? *Tongue It's an arrow... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by groze, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Free Windows 10 Now Looks A Terrible Deal

Glass half full / half empty symptoms, Cliff ? *Tongue

It's an arrow ... I started adding more icons trying to make a W, but that didn't work so I left it the way ti was. Truth is I started with it pointing up because it was easier to figure out how many I needed.

I'm glad Kerry brought up the subject so I could shoot it off on a tangent

*Start
    *Start*Start
    *Start*Start*Start
    *Start*Start*Start*Start
    *Roflmao2

*Biggrin

*chuckle

*Smile

Slartybart, Jul 10, 2015
  2. BunnyJ New Member

Free Windows 10 Now Looks A Terrible Deal [​IMG]

BunnyJ, Jul 10, 2015
  3. Winuser Win User
    I don't see the problem if MS starts charging for upgrades in 2 - 4 years. I paid for Windows 7. I paid to go from Windows 7 to windows 8 and it didn't break me. Besides that l'll probably have a new computer by than. As long as they don't charge for security updates I can live with it.

Winuser, Jul 11, 2015
  4. bromanbro Win User

Free Windows 10 Now Looks A Terrible Deal

Pssha, unless you game/use heavy productivity software, then you shouldn't have to upgrade in 2-4 years.

My laptop from 2009 which was midrange even then is still going strong. Unless it completely breaks (pls don't) I ain't upgrading.

MS should give the typical LTS cycle, then charge afterwards for another LTS cycle, or charge more for a new build+LTS cycle. Or abandon the older build and upgrade everyone I dunno.

bromanbro, Jul 11, 2015
  5. Um, they are going to charge for upgrades? After the one year free upgrade period expires you'll pay for an upgrade version just like you'd pay for a full version. There will be no adition charges for those that did the free upgrade though.

alphanumeric, Jul 11, 2015
  6. Winuser Win User
    I have never kept a computer that long and I doubt I'll start now. I always pass my old computers over to family members. The computer I have now will probably be going to my grandchildren.

Winuser, Jul 11, 2015
  7. Winuser Win User
    I'm sure MS will be doing upgrades to windows 10 and not just updates. Do you really think new upgrades for Windows 10 will always be free?

Winuser, Jul 11, 2015
  8. Free Windows 10 Now Looks A Terrible Deal

Ah, OK, I see what your saying. Yes I do. For the life of the device. Microsoft is still going to make money off of Windows (10), even if they do that. Buy a new PC, you pay for Windows. Upgrade after the one year period, you pay for Windows. Build a new desktop and want Windows, your going to pay for it. Want to upgrade from XP or Vista to Windows 10, your paying for it.

9. groze Win User
    @Winuser

Are you talking about upgrades like a new version of windows? Then they should give you the option of not upgrading and just receiving security updates & patches for the current version you have tell extended support ends. Not everyone can afford a new system every 2 to 4 years.

groze, Jul 11, 2015
  10. waltc Win User
    The author the Forbes article is quoting is somewhat of an idiot...*Wink Mags like that frequently put out ridiculous and outrageously incorrect headlines just to get page hits. Pay them no mind...

"Supported life of the device" means "as long as Windows supports the device you have installed it to"...so what would happen if in two years Windows no longer supported PCs? What would happen is that Microsoft would go broke rather quickly, because if Windows no longer supported PCs then none of Microsoft's Applications, 99% of which need Windows to run, would be supported, either.

Generally, anything that ends in ..."world"...like "Networkworld" or "Computerworld" is famously unreliable. Best to tune them out altogether...

waltc, Jul 11, 2015
  11. Cr00zng Win User
    MS apps run just fine on no longer supported OS, like apps on XP...

The "supported life of the device", or as MS defined "supported lifetime of the device" is not clarified. MS has stated that "Details on our device’ supported lifetime policy will be shared at a later time." That makes media outlets wonder what the "supported lifetime of the device" actually means, even if the outlet's name does not end in the word "world".

Most certainly, taking advantage of the free upgrade offer for W10 should be delayed until the "details" are clarified by MS. At which point, one or more media outlets may even be correct with their prediction...

Cr00zng, Jul 11, 2015
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    The life time of the device means as long as the device is working. That can be any length of time.

BunnyJ, Jul 11, 2015
  13. DavidY Win User

So the question is what is the difference between the lifetime of the device which you've defined above, and the supported lifetime?

My guess is that it's support by the OEM that is being referred to here.

If it was support by Microsoft then it would just be saying that Microsoft support it only as long as Microsoft support it, which while true wouldn't tell anyone very much as it's circular.

DavidY, Jul 11, 2015
  14. Exactly. People are missing the distinction between the actual physical life of the device and the "projected" lifetime of the device. Microsoft is estimating that said device will last 2 to 4 years and is using that estimate to calculate/project future revenue. If that device was upgraded for free to Windows 10, they aren't going to make any money on new Windows sales until it dies. A very optimistic estimate if you ask me. A phone or a tablet might byte the bullet in that time frame but I'm hoping to get a lot longer use out of my laptop and desktop PC.

15. BunnyJ New Member
    It should be that for the life of the device you have the Wn10 upgrade installed you will receive free upgrades/Updates. And if you did purchase a copy you will receive free upgrades/updates for that with no time limit.

BunnyJ, Jul 11, 2015
Thema:

1. Free Windows 10 Now Looks A Terrible Deal - Similar Threads - Free Looks Terrible

2. Why is Microsoft So Terrible Now?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Microsoft So Terrible Now?: Why is Microsoft such a steaming pile of bull hockey? It has gotten progressively worse and worse and yet my employers still mandate it. I'm considering killing myself or quitting my job, but first I wanted to check to see whether Microsoft was salvageable.Right now, I'm on...
  3. Looking for a good free antivirus for windows 10.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Looking for a good free antivirus for windows 10.: Is there a good free antivirus recommendable for Windows 10. Not sure if the Defender which comes with Windows 10 is good enough https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/looking-for-a-good-free-antivirus-for-windows-10/40ab8912-55cb-403e-99b3-36f905e398c0
  4. The new movies & tv icon looks... terrible

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The new movies & tv icon looks... terrible: [ATTACH] Is there any way to roll back to the old icon? https://preview.redd.it/sa58nowj8rk41.jpg?width=104&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=1da67b88a7d1e105ad34305f4cb8f8620da20d04 submitted by /u/Trementation [link] [comments]...
  5. 30 FPS video looks terrible in fullscreen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    30 FPS video looks terrible in fullscreen: I've been recording videos with my gopro at 4K 30 FPS. I download the clips on to my computer and when I view them in a small window on a 4k 60 Hz monitor, it looks great and smooth. However, when I put the video into fullscreen mode or simply increase the size of the window,...
  6. Uploaded photos to social media look terrible.

in Browsers and Email
    Uploaded photos to social media look terrible.: No matter what platform I try to post to for my business, the image looks horrible. LinkedIn, FB, IG- it doesn't matter. Just started after I upgraded to build 1903. Was working fine before that. Any one know what the heck could be causing this? As you can see, the image on...
  7. Newspaper looks terrible.

in Browsers and Email
    Newspaper looks terrible.: As you can see in the link,my newspaper look terrible in my browser edge.I had contact with the Publisher but they have no solution. With other browsers i have no problem.So,what is the problem here? http://users.telenet.be/solidjumbo/Foto/Krant.JPG 98821
  8. looking for a couple of tweaks for windows 10 free version

in Windows 10 Support
    looking for a couple of tweaks for windows 10 free version: Either a cmd file or registry tweak to:- 1) enable and disable UAC. In Gpedit.msc it is near the bottom and says use Administrator setting for all admin prompts or something and has to be set to disable to turn UAC off and enable to turn UAC on. A system restart is always...
  9. Free Windows 10 Not Such a Big Deal Anymore

in Windows 10 News
    Free Windows 10 Not Such a Big Deal Anymore: Windows 10 is work in progress at Microsoft, so it's pretty clear that not all details are available right now despite the avalanche of rumors that have reached our ears in the last couple of months. People close to the matter revealed earlier this year that Microsoft was...
  10. Looking for a super-deal on laptop, suggestions?

in Windows 10 Support
    Looking for a super-deal on laptop, suggestions?: Notes: Looking for a solid performer that will last for years at a low price. No major gaming or 3d rendering, some usage of photoshop and dreamweaver, older games, a database application, outlook with fairly sizable mailbox, skype, excel, word, browsing, etc......