Windows 10: Free Windows 10 Now Looks A Terrible Deal

Discus and support Free Windows 10 Now Looks A Terrible Deal in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Exactly. People are missing the distinction between the actual physical life of the device and the "projected" lifetime of the device. Microsoft is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by groze, Jul 10, 2015.

1. BunnyJ New Member

Free Windows 10 Now Looks A Terrible Deal

I agree.. I plan on keeping this PC for around 5 years so they don't get money off of me unless I decide to either purchase a copy or do a new build. The article in the OP is causing more confusion than it's worth.. IMO.

BunnyJ, Jul 11, 2015
  2. Cliff S New Member

Good catch Alpha: The devices might not even crap the bed, it's just these devices are often only used so long and the owner buys the latest and better one. For example, I only need a cell phone to call and SMS and use as a calculator on my forklift in the warehouse I work, nothing more, so I still have my old Nokia 2330 classic. I know people, though, that have 10 to 20 phones, and get a new one every couple of years. So for them the lifetime is until a better one comes out.

Cliff S, Jul 11, 2015
  3. Winuser Win User
    I'm sure any upgrades for Windows 10 will be optional. It would be the same as upgrading from one version of Windows to a newer version. Security updates should always be free.

Winuser, Jul 11, 2015
  4. DavidY Win User

I don't think that answers my question on what the word 'supported' means in Microsoft's statement.

If Microsoft had said 'for the lifetime of the device' then it would match your statement above. But they didn't say that - they said 'for the supported lifetime of the device'. That word will have been put there for a reason...

DavidY, Jul 11, 2015
  5. As far as I know, free upgrade or not, if that device is running Windows 10, you get updates and Windows upgrades free, for the physical life of that device.

alphanumeric, Jul 11, 2015
  6. Gary Win User
    Well I built my device and I am supporting it for the lifetime of it's builder-me.

7. Post the whole statement with a link and I'll have a look. I'm no lawyer but I'll see if I can make any sense out of. It sounds like just a bean counter term to me. Don't forget, support can also refer to free phone support that has a time limit on it, and has nothing to do with Windows update etc. That author took stuff and twisted it all around so it makes absolutely no sense, to me anyway.

8. Cr00zng Win User

Agreed, but....

The ""supported lifetime of the device" may not be the same. It depends on Microsoft's definition for the "supported" that yet to be clarified by MS...

Cr00zng, Jul 11, 2015
  9. You have to put that in context and see what they were referring too, talking about.

10. DavidY Win User
    Here is the most recent time I'm aware of when they used the phrase about supported lifetime. I think it was used earlier too.
    Source: Genuine Windows and Windows 10 (From Windows Blog)

DavidY, Jul 11, 2015
  11. Cliff S New Member
    Source

Cliff S, Jul 11, 2015
  12. I still see that as meaning free for the life of the device. It's talking about genuine versus non genuine. Genuine Windows 10 installs will get free upgrades and updates as long as they stay genuine. If your install comes up as non genuine the supported lifetime will be much shorter. If you don't resolve the issue, you lose support and stop getting any more updates or upgrades. That's how I interpret it anyway. Like I said though, I'm no lawyer.

13. Free Windows 10 Now Looks A Terrible Deal

@ Cliff, that's what I was referring to earlier. Technical support versus Windows updates etc. Two different things.

14. Cliff S New Member
    We are talking about a future(still) product here, look at point 10 in post# 85

EDIT: This is of course an older business model but I would think the principal remains the same.

Cliff S, Jul 11, 2015
  15. Tony K Win User
    Bingo!

“Lifetime of the/a device” literally means until the device literally physically breaks > When it no longer works > When the power button is pushed and it doesn’t boot due to hardware electronics failure, whether with charged battery or on a power chord > When the electronics smoke with that putrid smell > When one takes a hammer to it > When one throws it in the recycle bin > Caput > Done > Deceased > Dead! *Biggrin

MS, as with any major global corporation, cannot be deceiving to it’s investors nor it’s customers with false statements. This author is surely reading into it.

Giving away Windows 10 is a sales ploy that is playing the odds of how long a device will last. That defers income to the future. A future that is scientifically analyzed almost to the penny, which then is presented in a report for not only stockholders to view, but potential stockholders as well. Windows OSs is only one division of the company. From what I’ve read it’s not their major money-making one at that either. Even if that division breaks even for awhile I’m quite sure in the end it’ll turn a profit. Also, now that it runs across all devices Windows 10 will eventually be used more than any OS, especially after the life cycle of the others end.

Geez, I wonder how Gates and the crew got to be so successful? Must’ve been blind luck I guess. *Shock

Tony K, Jul 11, 2015
Thema:

1. Free Windows 10 Now Looks A Terrible Deal - Similar Threads - Free Looks Terrible

2. Why is Microsoft So Terrible Now?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Microsoft So Terrible Now?: Why is Microsoft such a steaming pile of bull hockey? It has gotten progressively worse and worse and yet my employers still mandate it. I'm considering killing myself or quitting my job, but first I wanted to check to see whether Microsoft was salvageable.Right now, I'm on...
  3. Looking for a good free antivirus for windows 10.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Looking for a good free antivirus for windows 10.: Is there a good free antivirus recommendable for Windows 10. Not sure if the Defender which comes with Windows 10 is good enough https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/looking-for-a-good-free-antivirus-for-windows-10/40ab8912-55cb-403e-99b3-36f905e398c0
  4. The new movies & tv icon looks... terrible

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The new movies & tv icon looks... terrible: [ATTACH] Is there any way to roll back to the old icon? https://preview.redd.it/sa58nowj8rk41.jpg?width=104&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=1da67b88a7d1e105ad34305f4cb8f8620da20d04 submitted by /u/Trementation [link] [comments]...
  5. 30 FPS video looks terrible in fullscreen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    30 FPS video looks terrible in fullscreen: I've been recording videos with my gopro at 4K 30 FPS. I download the clips on to my computer and when I view them in a small window on a 4k 60 Hz monitor, it looks great and smooth. However, when I put the video into fullscreen mode or simply increase the size of the window,...
  6. Uploaded photos to social media look terrible.

in Browsers and Email
    Uploaded photos to social media look terrible.: No matter what platform I try to post to for my business, the image looks horrible. LinkedIn, FB, IG- it doesn't matter. Just started after I upgraded to build 1903. Was working fine before that. Any one know what the heck could be causing this? As you can see, the image on...
  7. Newspaper looks terrible.

in Browsers and Email
    Newspaper looks terrible.: As you can see in the link,my newspaper look terrible in my browser edge.I had contact with the Publisher but they have no solution. With other browsers i have no problem.So,what is the problem here? http://users.telenet.be/solidjumbo/Foto/Krant.JPG 98821
  8. looking for a couple of tweaks for windows 10 free version

in Windows 10 Support
    looking for a couple of tweaks for windows 10 free version: Either a cmd file or registry tweak to:- 1) enable and disable UAC. In Gpedit.msc it is near the bottom and says use Administrator setting for all admin prompts or something and has to be set to disable to turn UAC off and enable to turn UAC on. A system restart is always...
  9. Free Windows 10 Not Such a Big Deal Anymore

in Windows 10 News
    Free Windows 10 Not Such a Big Deal Anymore: Windows 10 is work in progress at Microsoft, so it's pretty clear that not all details are available right now despite the avalanche of rumors that have reached our ears in the last couple of months. People close to the matter revealed earlier this year that Microsoft was...
  10. Looking for a super-deal on laptop, suggestions?

in Windows 10 Support
    Looking for a super-deal on laptop, suggestions?: Notes: Looking for a solid performer that will last for years at a low price. No major gaming or 3d rendering, some usage of photoshop and dreamweaver, older games, a database application, outlook with fairly sizable mailbox, skype, excel, word, browsing, etc......