Windows 10: Free Windows 8 to Windows 10 Upgrade Useless, PC Makers...

Discus and support Free Windows 8 to Windows 10 Upgrade Useless, PC Makers... in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 Preview is already here and all eyes are on the feature lineup that's going to be improved with every new testing builds release, but also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Oct 5, 2014.

1. labeeman Win User

Free Windows 8 to Windows 10 Upgrade Useless, PC Makers...

More

labeeman, Oct 5, 2014
  2. Edwin New Member

All Microsoft needs to do is give the OEM's to manufacturers for free as well, for the first 12 months or so, then the manufacturers can pass the savings on to the consumer...... HAHAHA...HA! *Wink

:)

Edwin, Oct 5, 2014
  3. Windows10 upgrade

windows 10 free upgrade, Oct 5, 2014
  4. Free Windows 8 to Windows 10 Upgrade Useless, PC Makers...

Can't open Family Tree Maker 10 or newly downloaded Family Tree Maker 2014.1 with Windows 10

None of the solutions mentioned on your website helps me with not being able to open Family Tree Maker 10 or newly downloaded Family Tree Maker 2014.1 with Windows 10. Do I just need to go back to Windows 8 and scrap the useless Windows 10?

JohnKreider, Oct 5, 2014
  5. Mooly Win User
    As my dad always says... just remember, everyone's after your money *Smile

Mooly, Oct 5, 2014
  6. waltc Win User
    PC makers weren't happy at all with Windows 8, either, remember...*Wink Some of them were downright livid, in fact...*Wink That didn't stop Microsoft in the slightest. I'm hoping Microsoft will see the sense in offering Windows 8 customers a gratis upgrade to Windows 10 (and I think that will happen), simply because they promised for months to add a start menu to Windows 8 but put it off until Windows 10--so to honor that previous pledge to its Win8 customers, Win10 would have to be a free upgrade for Windows 8 customers.

waltc, Oct 5, 2014
  7. LittleJay Win User
    This sounds like a load of bunk to me. I would venture to say the majority of the consumers running W8 are doing so because it came on their new computers. So why would these same consumers turn around and buy another new computer just to run W10?

LittleJay, Oct 6, 2014
  8. Petey7 Win User

What PC makers really need to be worried about is upgrade deals for Windows 7 users. Now, a number of people have actually liked Windows 8, but during the time that Windows 8 has been the main OS on store bought PCs, they have sold very poorly. A lot of Windows 7 users have foregone buying a new computer in order to avoid having to use Windows 8, which means their computers are mostly 2 or more years old. If PC manufacturers can dangle brand new PCs (especially those 2-in-1 laptops I think) with Windows 10 in there faces for a good deal, then they will most likely buy them. People who just bought a new computer, aren't going to buy another new computer just for Windows 10. However, if Windows 10 is available for cheap or free to Windows 7 users, then a lot of them might decide to hold out another 2-3 years before buying another PC.

Petey7, Oct 6, 2014
  9. Oh! This is a good idea as well as bad too. If I was a writer I would have written a full novel on it. In short:
    Upgrading for free for Windows 8 users will be very useful for users ONLY because most of them were unsatisfied with W8 and they will be very happy to upgrade for free. But it will affect Microsoft (sure). Unfortunately most of the people don't buy Windows and download it from Internet for free instead. So, I guess minority will buy Windows 10! Also in my place if we go to Computer Shop they will surely give cracked version and they will sell that only for 3$, which will again give no profit to Microsoft.

In my personal opinion, Upgrading should not be for FREE. They should impress others to buy Microsoft Windows 10 by their amazing features.

Otherwise Upgrading at half price ???

-

Fahadking07, Oct 6, 2014
  10. Agreed.

Given the low take-up rate for the W8 series I'm not sure what they are complaining about (unless they believe that people are only using it because they have no choice).

IMO, people who are happy with the W8 series aren't likely to instantly upgrade to W10.

A lot more people are using older versions of Windows (i.e. W7 & XP).

lehnerus2000, Oct 6, 2014
  11. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Windows 8 users getting a free copy I understand (primary because of the problems a great many had with 8, albeit giving Windows 7 users a free copy makes no sense because it is a five year OS, and most users really had little to no problems.

12. Petey7 Win User
    I'm sorry, but were disagreeing with me in someway or is there just a misunderstanding? You seemed to be saying more or less the same thing I was, which was that there are a lot less Windows 8 users than Windows 7 users, and those on Windows 8 are on new computers, so they won't be buying brand new ones soon anyways.

Petey7, Oct 6, 2014
  13. Free Windows 8 to Windows 10 Upgrade Useless, PC Makers...

I believe that we are in agreement. *Smile

W7 & XP users are more likely to need hardware upgrades than W8 users.

(I added a clarification to my previous post).

lehnerus2000, Oct 6, 2014
  14. Petey7 Win User
    Exactly. And even if it isn't free... If I go out and buy a $1000 laptop today, and Windows 10 comes out 12 months from now and cost $150 to upgrade, its still a much better deal than buying more or less the same laptop for $1000 again just to have Windows 10 pre-installed. Personally, I've decided to definitely put off buying a new computer until ones with Windows 10 pre-installed are out.

Petey7, Oct 6, 2014
  15. mousegolf Win User
    As I have said many times since W8 appeared on the market, "go online and buy Windows 7 64 Bit". Windows 7 is still and most likely will be the best OS from Microsoft for years to come.

IF Microsoft makes a truly better OS than Windows 7 we can all upgrade to that OS. Heck, they have 3 chances to get it right with W10, W11 and W12 before Windows 7 extended product-support terminates.

Windows 7 is great so just buy it online and have fun and be productive with your computer. *Cool

mousegolf, Oct 6, 2014
Thema:

1. Free Windows 8 to Windows 10 Upgrade Useless, PC Makers... - Similar Threads - Free Upgrade Useless

2. can I upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can I upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free: can I upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-upgrade-windows-8-to-windows-10-for-free/fcbe425a-6e79-41bb-9100-5b9d444f5534
  3. can I upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can I upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free: can I upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-upgrade-windows-8-to-windows-10-for-free/fcbe425a-6e79-41bb-9100-5b9d444f5534
  4. what is the fee to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10? Is this upgrade still free?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what is the fee to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10? Is this upgrade still free?: what is the fee to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10? Is this upgrade still free?According to what i have found, MY PC should be able to accommodate the upgrade as it has a 1.8 GHz Processor, 6GB of Ram, 64 Bit processor and 700 GB HD....
  5. what is the fee to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10? Is this upgrade still free?

what is the fee to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10? Is this upgrade still free?: what is the fee to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10? Is this upgrade still free?According to what i have found, MY PC should be able to accommodate the upgrade as it has a 1.8 GHz Processor, 6GB of Ram, 64 Bit processor and 700 GB HD....
  6. what is the fee to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10? Is this upgrade still free?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Windows 8 upgraded to Free Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 8 upgraded to Free Windows 10: When Windows 10 was released I was given the opportunity to upgrade from my Windows 8 which I did !I now find I cannot get any updates and am consistently asked to provide my Activation Key or my Digital Licence Key, I don't have either of those.Where do I go from Here ?...
  8. Windows 8 upgraded to Free Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 8 upgraded to Free Windows 10: When Windows 10 was released I was given the opportunity to upgrade from my Windows 8 which I did !I now find I cannot get any updates and am consistently asked to provide my Activation Key or my Digital Licence Key, I don't have either of those.Where do I go from Here ?...
  9. Windows 8 upgraded to Free Windows 10

10. can i upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free?

in Windows 10 Customization
    can i upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free?: can i upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/can-i-upgrade-windows-8-to-windows-10-for-free/4a634a0a-4e9e-4db7-912b-c7b736d86f30