Windows 10: Free Windows 8 to Windows 10 Upgrade Useless, PC Makers...

Discus and support Free Windows 8 to Windows 10 Upgrade Useless, PC Makers... in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Unfortunately most of the people don't buy Windows and download it from Internet for free instead. -Fahadking07 Is that true? I don't think... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Oct 5, 2014.

1. bromanbro Win User

Free Windows 8 to Windows 10 Upgrade Useless, PC Makers...

Is that true? I don't think Windows 8 is even crackable, and MS offered it for $15 for several months. Besides, most people would PROBABLY be concerned about at least running a legit OS, to avoid viruses from cracked releases?

Think about it: most people buy prebuilt computers, so they get Windows packed in, and anyone who's enthusist enough to build their own computer likely got that $15 promo.

Regarding price, unless Windows 10 gets leaner then Win8, then I won't spend even $15 for an upgrade. Win8+classic shell is the same as 10 right now, and I doubt any of the new "features" will persude me to upgrade.

Windows Vista was a huge leap from XP. 7 was a pretty large leap from Vista interface/optimization wise (got rid of the weird Vista gadgets), and Win8 was leaner then Win7 (but that's about it). So far I don't see an incentive to upgrade to 10, as it's basically WIn8 with a start menu.

Win8 with classic shell does the job a bit better then 7, as it is leaner.

bromanbro, Oct 6, 2014

2. Yes really. It is true. I have seen it with many people. Also I tried once.......
    I already told that in my place they sell Windows for 3-4$, which is really cheap and are kind a cracked one, or copied.... Whatever, we can find them for free.

Fahadking07, Oct 6, 2014
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

While there are SOME issues with this W10 - remember it's probably not even a full ALPHA version - to say nothing of a Beta and a possible RC (Release Candidate) before launch it on the whole is quite a decent OS - especially for the millions of Desktop / Laptop non touch users.

I've had some issues with Networking - probably my biggest gripe but setting up LANS isn't the stuff most of the single home users do, and Touch isn't really implemented on this preview - that was known in advance though.

On the whole Ms have done a creditable job with this one so I can't see why the OEM's would complain - unless of course it eats into their profits -- I'm not sure what each License costs for an OEM but I'm sure they more than make it up on the price of their kit.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 6, 2014
  4. waltc Win User

The devil's in the details...*Wink The supposition here as quoted is that laptop/notebook OEMs are unhappy about a free Win10 upgrade for Win8.x customers because they think it will dampen 2015 laptop/notebook sales. It'll definitely mean some bios work, for sure, as some of those OEMs have locked their UEFI bootloaders to Win8--or at least that is what I've heard (I avoid laptops like the plague whenever possible.) What I think makes more sense for laptop/notebook OEMs to be upset about, if anything, is not whether the upgrade is free for Win8 customers, but rather that Win10 is focusing once again on the non-touch hardware market as the primary market for Win10--which is only natural as that's where the overwhelming bulk of Windows customers are and where they will remain. I guess they're not too happy about having to shift their hardware focus once again back to the pre-Win8.x markets after discovering (along with Microsoft) that people don't on the whole consider touch UI's as a suitable replacement for mice & keyboards. IE, touch has its place; just not as a replacement for the traditional explorer.exe UI in Windows.

Then again, Digitimes might just be blowing smoke (again.) The way I see it, a very popular Windows10 is a rising tide that will lift all boats.

waltc, Oct 6, 2014
  5. pparks1 Win User
    Yes, even with $15 upgrades, i think there is still a fair amount of piracy. Yes, getting a non-legit copy is possible. People will jump through all kinds of hoops to not pay for software. Often times, a hacked KMS server is used, a corporate MAK key is abused, or they monkey with the OS to break the activation system. I don't trust a hacked copy of an OS and would not be willing to put any of my data at risk by using one .

Many users also slipped through a loop hole getting their OS's as part of a technet subscription for personal use. Unfortunately for them, Microsoft discountinued the Technet program. Your options are now to pay for a much more costly MSDN subscription (starting at $699 for the OS only subscription and going up to $13k for Visual Studio Ultimate), or use the free eval copies which are time limited and require re-installs to keep using.

pparks1, Oct 6, 2014
  6. Yea an upgrade to a better os would/ could also increase sells of existing machines collecting dust now with win-8 which wasn't a big seller so much so manufactures started loading win-7 on them to increase sells *Wink

So to that I say b-s that sells would fall on the free upgrade nonsense *Wink

ThrashZone, Oct 6, 2014
  7. mousegolf Win User
    I suppose if you don't mind a charms bar poking out now and then and the other "loose" HUD. I can never compare my start times with the average computer user, I use a quad core with an SSD Seq-Read 300ish Seq-Write 280ish. And this is not a 6GB Sata machine.

mousegolf, Oct 7, 2014
  8. bromanbro Win User

Classic Shell lets you disable Charms...

bromanbro, Oct 7, 2014
  9. mousegolf Win User
    That's what's nice about W10. You don't have to download a Start Menu to get rid of all the "tiley's and "charmys" *Wink

mousegolf, Oct 7, 2014
  10. Lensman Win User
    I sort of look on Win 8 as a modern day ME. When you have to go to outside software to make it useable, there is something just wrong about it. If I were MS, I would just offer Win 10 as a stand alone, with no upgrade path from Win 8. I think there is enough incentive to make the jump to Win 10, offered at full retail.

Lensman, Oct 7, 2014
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Perhaps you should get a job on Wall St. !!!!!!!

I think MS SHOULD offer a free upgrade -- that would also be a good incentive for the many 100,000's STILL on XP too.
    It would also generate a bit of good will after that stupid W8 Fiasco (W8.1 at least rectified the problem a bit).

BUT Ms need to get this OS working 100% first -- Two duff OS'es in a row would be curtains for Ms's long term future.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 7, 2014
  12. If Win 10 was only available as full retail I would pass on it (until I got a new machine with it pre installed)

Not seen anything yet in the preview that would make me pay to upgrade (unless its very cheap)

paulsalter, Oct 7, 2014
  13. Trust_No1 Win User

Ummmmm,

I don't think I would upgrade either my Windows 8 or Windows 7 machines, unless it was free, or very reasonably priced (under $50). If Windows 7 users didn't buy into Windows 8, why would they get Windows 10?

It really comes down to the Apps Store more than anything, and compared to Apple and Android, I am not sure they are in the game.

oooooh, aaaah, I stayed up late enough to see the "Blood Moon" eclipse. later all.

Trust_No1, Oct 7, 2014
  14. Lensman Win User
    Heh, you are probably right about that Wall St. angle, Jimbo. *Wink

I have always followed the mantra that anything free is worth every penny you pay for it. I just can't follow the logic of a corporation spending millions on a product and then giving it away. I could probably follow your logic and recognize a discounted upgrade path from XP on, but free I can't Grok.

I am in complete agreement that Win 10 had better be at least as polished as XP or Win 7. The fact that I paid full retail for Win 8 and 8.1 still sticks in my craw a bit, but you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Lensman, Oct 7, 2014
  15. Thanks Jimbo,

You just put the whole thing into perspective for me.

I am quite impressed with the quality of this Preview Code.
    I've read a few articles on Win8 update 2.

But it wasn't until I read your post did I realize why this release is solid.

You're right - it's not REALLY alpha release code. It's code that was already in the channel to be released as Win8 update2. The few things that are new were tacked on top of that code. That's most evident when you look at things like corners (charms, recent apps) that still have remnants of configuration, but don't work.

Slartybart, Oct 8, 2014
Thema:

1. Free Windows 8 to Windows 10 Upgrade Useless, PC Makers... - Similar Threads - Free Upgrade Useless

2. can I upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can I upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free: can I upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-upgrade-windows-8-to-windows-10-for-free/fcbe425a-6e79-41bb-9100-5b9d444f5534
  3. can I upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can I upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free: can I upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-upgrade-windows-8-to-windows-10-for-free/fcbe425a-6e79-41bb-9100-5b9d444f5534
  4. what is the fee to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10? Is this upgrade still free?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what is the fee to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10? Is this upgrade still free?: what is the fee to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10? Is this upgrade still free?According to what i have found, MY PC should be able to accommodate the upgrade as it has a 1.8 GHz Processor, 6GB of Ram, 64 Bit processor and 700 GB HD....
  5. what is the fee to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10? Is this upgrade still free?

what is the fee to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10? Is this upgrade still free?: what is the fee to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10? Is this upgrade still free?According to what i have found, MY PC should be able to accommodate the upgrade as it has a 1.8 GHz Processor, 6GB of Ram, 64 Bit processor and 700 GB HD....
  6. what is the fee to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10? Is this upgrade still free?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Windows 8 upgraded to Free Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 8 upgraded to Free Windows 10: When Windows 10 was released I was given the opportunity to upgrade from my Windows 8 which I did !I now find I cannot get any updates and am consistently asked to provide my Activation Key or my Digital Licence Key, I don't have either of those.Where do I go from Here ?...
  8. Windows 8 upgraded to Free Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 8 upgraded to Free Windows 10: When Windows 10 was released I was given the opportunity to upgrade from my Windows 8 which I did !I now find I cannot get any updates and am consistently asked to provide my Activation Key or my Digital Licence Key, I don't have either of those.Where do I go from Here ?...
  9. Windows 8 upgraded to Free Windows 10

10. can i upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free?

in Windows 10 Customization
    can i upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free?: can i upgrade windows 8 to windows 10 for free? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/can-i-upgrade-windows-8-to-windows-10-for-free/4a634a0a-4e9e-4db7-912b-c7b736d86f30