Windows 10: Free Windows? Not A Chance

Discus and support Free Windows? Not A Chance in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I don't like the subscription model for the simple reason that, I can't afford it. Its why I downloaded LibreOffice instead of going with Office 365. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by bru, Dec 7, 2014.

1. BunnyJ New Member

Free Windows? Not A Chance

I'm in the same boat. I like Windows but if they do go to this plan I will not get Win10. Keep in mind I would have to see the prices but it's very unlikely I would buy Win10 at this moment. I have a copy/key of Win7 and Win8.1 with the spring update files so I don't have to update.

Jeff Nice to see people those who can't afford for windows 10 and not ready to get cracked copy of it *Smile

*Thumbs I like to write and many, many years ago I published in an APA. A few years later, I found my story republished in a couple places, but with someone else's name on it as author.

So I have first hand experience of what its like to have your work "stolen" and won't do it myself. Regardless that MS is a corporation and not a person. You have to keep in mind that MS is made up of people who do put in a lot of effort on the products and they're the ones that would be robbed if the products are stolen. Pay for what you use or go open source.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Dec 8, 2014
  2. badrobot Win User

To me, a free windows OS is just a platform to get us, users, ripped off. To make a jump from paid to free OS smells fishy.

badrobot, Dec 8, 2014
  3. Yep, I know that feeling. Even I experienced that many times.....

Fahadking07, Dec 8, 2014
  4. Free Windows? Not A Chance

Hi

I don't like the subscription trend either.
    I've used Adobe products for decades.

Everything from Photoshop, and Illustrator to Indesign and Premiere.

I've updated Photoshop since version 2.5.

Now they want everyone to pay a monthly fee to use their software.

I am CS4 level and that's where I'm going to stay.

I'll just use what I have for the rest of my life.
    I'm 76 so that's a real possibility. LOL

Mike

MikeHawthorne, Dec 8, 2014
  5. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Least see has Microsoft put it out that they are going with the subscription method, or is this just someone attempting to perpetrate a silly rumor to get everyone up in arms. Truly haven't seen anything from Microsoft that indicates they will be going with this method. Until it comes to past really see no reason to worry. . .*Thumbs

6. badrobot Win User
    This is a good topic for discussion whether it is a rumor or not. At least, if MS is browsing this forum, they will have an idea how some people feel about the idea. It's not about worrying but rather voicing opinions. *Smile

badrobot, Dec 8, 2014
  7. labeeman Win User
    M$ has a good idea about having an OS on sub. ask them about Xbox 1 with an always connected internet connection.

labeeman, Dec 8, 2014
  8. groze Win User

Wouldn't that subscription model hurt OEM sales and sales at walmart? I really can't afford any more bills.

Always on internet connection is impossible. ISP go down all the time. Outages can last for hours. I turn off my computer as well.

groze, Dec 9, 2014
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I think in all of this people get TOO carried away -- perhaps some of the younger members here have never experienced those great days when we weren't ALWAYS reliant on things like Sat Nav's, email wasn't for a lot of people a daily chore and mobile phones weren't the late 20th and 21st century slave drivers and tethering machines.

It's actually quite nice to get away from all this stuff and simply have the Internet and phone SWITCHED OFF for a while --you can still do an amazing amount of work if you want with just a stand alone computer - or even a pencil and paper !!!!.

I'm not anti tech --it has its uses but WE should control it and not the other way around --and it really is quite pleasant just to switch off once in a while - so all these subscription models don't make a lot of sense in the end except to the SELLERS of the services --it certainly won't be cheaper in the long run for the consumers.

An everyday example that might be understood by everybody here --even the younger ones -- Most Mobile phone monthly tariff's are a HUGE SWINDLE -- you ALWAYS get a better deal by buying your own phone and then using a decent pay as you go SIM -- just because you buy hours up front and it "looks" more expensive it actually isn't -- especially if you get the phone discounted and you aren't stuck all day long with your ears stuck to the phone -- a monthly contract invariably COSTS MORE - they often sweeten it with 100's of free texts etc -- which if you don't use is a waste - I've probably only ever sent about 3 (yes THREE) texts in my entire life.

Subscriptions also invariably go UP - especially once they've hooked as many customers as they can.

If non subscription methods netted people more money the businesses wouldn't be trying to switch people to subscriptions.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 9, 2014
  10. davehc Win User
    At your age, Jimbo, you can surely go further back.
    I remember those days when our access to updated info was , -- what was it called now -- are! newspapers. No internet, no mobiles. I typed on a new innovation - an electronic typewriter. I was on constant call out in my work and this (it had come into the tech world by then! was a pager.
    I could go back there, and feel no pain. Things have not changed a great deal since then, except that they are considerably faster. Downfall there is that we have less time to think of a sensible decision. (very obvious, today)

davehc, Dec 9, 2014
  11. rmonroe36 Win User
    Had been a "dumb phone" user for several years (pay as you go). Cost: average of $10 per month (AT&T GoPhone).
    Recently saw a good deal on a Windows Phone (Nokia Lumia 635) for $39.95). Bought it and brought it to AT&T where their associates transferred my contacts and made the other necessary adjustments for my new phone.
    Very happy with the outcome. Phone syncs nicely with my Windows 8.1 home computer with files readily available via OneDrive. Cost: still the average of $10 per month.
    Beats the hell out of my grandkids' monthly bills!

Rich

rmonroe36, Dec 16, 2014
  12. Winuser Win User
    Had been a "dumb phone" user for several years (pay as you go). Cost: average of $10 per month (AT&T GoPhone).
    Recently saw a good deal on a Windows Phone (Nokia Lumia 635) for $39.95). Bought it and brought it to AT&T where their associates transferred my contacts and made the other necessary adjustments for my new phone.
    Very happy with the outcome. Phone syncs nicely with my Windows 8.1 home computer with files readily available via OneDrive. Cost: still the average of $10 per month.
    Beats the hell out of my grandkids' monthly bills!

Rich How did you get a AT&t smart phone plan for $10.00 per month? I've been a AT&T customer for years and pay way more than 10 bucks a month.

Winuser, Dec 16, 2014
  13. rmonroe36 Win User

In the included link you will find a Nokia Lumia 520 (Certified Like New) for $34.99 (mine was a new Lumia 635 for $39.99). If you buy a phone like this you can go to AT&T and buy a GoPhone package (no contract). I buy minutes ($.10 per). I usually pay for 3 months at a time ($25 with tax $27.02). That averages out to $10 per month. Mind you, this does not include data. For several years I have been paying the same amount for a "dumb phone" and decided to try a Windows "Smart Phone".

Nokia Lumia 520 - GoPhone (Certified Like New) cell phone from AT&T

AT&T will charge you more for the phone so shop around but make sure it is "Go Phone" compatible.

Rich

rmonroe36, Dec 16, 2014
  14. Winuser Win User
    I was hoping to save a few dollars on my mobile phone bill. I use my mobile phone a lot for voice and text. 10 cents a minute would probably cost me more per month. Data usage I try to keep it to a minimum. Plus I have two dumb phones on my plan.

Winuser, Dec 16, 2014
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Simple MATHS shows why companies LOVE subscription services.

Unlocked phone say costs 400 USD. Pay as you go sim -- up to you. Say 30 USD - you could easily make this last MONTHS if you use the Voice over IP stuff too. That's using the Internet for voice calls.

Contract say FREE phone and 40 USD per month ==> even in a YEAR that's 480 USD. 2nd year even more profit as that's 960 USD !!!!.

What a lot of people don't seem to realize either is that you can use a smart phone on the INTERNET without even having a SIM CARD in it !! so long as you can connect to wifi --so services like Skype can cheapen the whole thing considerably. A Pay as you go SIM used sensibly with VOIP services like SKYPE is IMO a MUCH more sensible way of paying for mobiles.

If you travel a lot too don't forget very good tax free deals you get at International airports etc.

A monthly contract is really an EXPENSIVE way of paying for mobile service - especially if most of your stuff is Internet rather than purely telephone related. Also look at things like Internet instant messaging and SKYPE.

For those who don't understand about VOIP ( essentially using the Internet instead of the mobile providers 3/4G service for voice calls) and its possibilities this article is good (providing you ignore all the commercials about UK broadband providers -- the actual bits about VOIP are informative).

Guide to VoIP - MoneySuperMarket

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 16, 2014
Thema:

1. Free Windows? Not A Chance - Similar Threads - Free Chance

2. Different microsoft defenders!? One free, one paid - Please help me understand the differences

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different microsoft defenders!? One free, one paid - Please help me understand the differences: So it's been brought to my attention that there's "two different microsoft anti-virus programs". One is free, and come pre-installed, and one comes with the Microsoft Office 365 pack, which is payed. I noticed this due to me being able to open microsoft through settings on my...
  3. Different microsoft defenders!? One free, one paid - Please help me understand the differences

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Different microsoft defenders!? One free, one paid - Please help me understand the differences: So it's been brought to my attention that there's "two different microsoft anti-virus programs". One is free, and come pre-installed, and one comes with the Microsoft Office 365 pack, which is payed. I noticed this due to me being able to open microsoft through settings on my...
  4. is driver updates for windows 11 free

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is driver updates for windows 11 free: is up dates for drivers windows 11 free https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-driver-updates-for-windows-11-free/72f673d3-618a-47f9-b95a-da75cde69859
  5. is driver updates for windows 11 free

is driver updates for windows 11 free: is up dates for drivers windows 11 free https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-driver-updates-for-windows-11-free/72f673d3-618a-47f9-b95a-da75cde69859
  6. I purchased a Windows 8.1 license and was offered a free upgrade to windows 10 pro and now...

I purchased a Windows 8.1 license and was offered a free upgrade to windows 10 pro and now...: I recently upgraded my processor and motherboard so I decided to do a fresh install of windows and the product key that I pulled from the old system does not activate my copy of windows....
  7. I purchased a Windows 8.1 license and was offered a free upgrade to windows 10 pro and now...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I purchased a Windows 8.1 license and was offered a free upgrade to windows 10 pro and now...: I recently upgraded my processor and motherboard so I decided to do a fresh install of windows and the product key that I pulled from the old system does not activate my copy of windows....
  8. I purchased a Windows 8.1 license and was offered a free upgrade to windows 10 pro and now...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Giving AVAST Free [20.6] a second chance

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Giving AVAST Free [20.6] a second chance: Hello. I have installed AVAST using a minimal custom setup and I am quite satisfied with its performance so far. + Copying files from/to USB sticks is a lot faster than using WD. + Packing/Unpacking is also faster. + Steam runs slightly faster too. + Game mode. + Interface...
  10. Another chance- Hard Disk Sentinel (and SSDs) free- 2+ days from 15th

Another chance- Hard Disk Sentinel (and SSDs) free- 2+ days from 15th: Free Hard Disk Sentinel (100% discount) | SharewareOnSale This gives the best indication I know of problems immediately when run, from connection problems to the drive itself, and an attempt to predict remaining life. Detect Hard Drive Issues Before Catastrophe Strikes...