Windows 10: Free Windows? Not A Chance

Discus and support Free Windows? Not A Chance in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Hi there Simple MATHS shows why companies LOVE subscription services. Unlocked phone say costs 400 USD. Pay as you go sim -- up to you. Say 30... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by bru, Dec 7, 2014.

1. groze Win User

Free Windows? Not A Chance

Simple translation it is all about money.

I am glad I found a pay as you go that doesn't have a monthly fee since I don't make very many calls or do very little texting. It doesn't cost me $40.00 or $30.00 a month. I would say about $10.00 to $15.00 a month. Also in the U.S. unlimited doesn't mean unlimited, people got their account terminated for using it to much.

groze, Dec 16, 2014
  2. Mystere Win User

While there's no doubt that wireless carriers make a boatload of money, your "simple MATHS" is a bit too simple.

I think that ignores the fact that there is inherent cost in providing wireless service. The carriers must build out all the towers (hundreds of thousands of them), the physical circuits between towers, the staff and fleets to maintain these towers, the cost of managing websites and billing systems, federal regulations, accountants, etc.. the costs of doing business as a company, etc... All of that costs money. Which is paid for with what you referred to above as "profit".

That's not even counting the billions they spend on acquiring the bandwidth in government auctions for the frequencies..

Then the technology changes every few years and they have to completely replace all their equipment with the next generation.

It's not cheap to be a wireless carrier. At least a real wireless carrier (MVNO's can be run quite cheaply, but they're just reselling service).

VOIP is hardly a panacea either, especially if you're doing it yourself. Unless you have explicit support from your carrier (I think T-Mobile supports this), you can't move from one hotspot to another and keep the call going, nor can you switch from carrier to VOIP on the same call. It means you're tethered to one hotspot for the duration of your call, which won't work if you're mobile.

Then, you as a person have to generally decide whether you want to make a mobile call or a voice call, and people calling you will never know if they can reach you on mobile or voip numbers, etc... It's a frustrating experience for anyone who isn't techy already, or who doesn't want spend the effort in managing it.

Personally, I went the MVNO route. I use TING (created by the creators of tucows), and I pay ridiculously cheap rates. I have 3 lines with smartphones and data and pay roughly $50 per month in total for all 3, and that using roughly 1.5GB of data and hundreds of text messages per month, and over 1000 minutes (shared in total, not each).

And no monthly contract. But, you do have to buy your phones up front, and that's expensive.

Mystere, Dec 16, 2014
  3. Yep subscription seems to be the preferred business model,
    Steady revenues "if" successful
    I'm not a fan no matter what the product with my limited cc6 tour which might qualify as a possible successful attempt I'm still not a fan of the unpredictable updates to the product which could render it dysfunctional very easily,
    Just the constant uninstall and re-install is a pain in the neck than there's the work flow loss which is the worst part if business reliant :/
    Bad times ahead if Microsoft does this to an operating system *Sad

ThrashZone, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Free Windows? Not A Chance

1. Free Windows? Not A Chance - Similar Threads - Free Chance

2. Free form select is not working for me

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Free form select is not working for me: When I select free form select copy and paste it always selects the background. Even choosing transparent selection does not work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-form-select-is-not-working-for-me/74dd2a78-60ac-41e3-a32f-f3afca5fec54
  3. Free form select is not working for me

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Free form select is not working for me: When I select free form select copy and paste it always selects the background. Even choosing transparent selection does not work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-form-select-is-not-working-for-me/74dd2a78-60ac-41e3-a32f-f3afca5fec54
  4. how to download windows 10 free

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to download windows 10 free: how to download windows 10 free https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-download-windows-10-free/1263192c-523f-4e74-b421-4b196be3ef8f
  5. how to download windows 10 free

how to download windows 10 free: how to download windows 10 free https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-download-windows-10-free/1263192c-523f-4e74-b421-4b196be3ef8f
  6. how to download windows 10 free

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. What is trustworthy software to protects your PC and its free/paid verison

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is trustworthy software to protects your PC and its free/paid verison: What type software you guys used to protect/boost your PC performance by like updating drivers and remove junk files and protect from not to get your info leaked...
  8. What is trustworthy software to protects your PC and its free/paid verison

What is trustworthy software to protects your PC and its free/paid verison: What type software you guys used to protect/boost your PC performance by like updating drivers and remove junk files and protect from not to get your info leaked...
  9. Giving AVAST Free [20.6] a second chance

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Giving AVAST Free [20.6] a second chance: Hello. I have installed AVAST using a minimal custom setup and I am quite satisfied with its performance so far. + Copying files from/to USB sticks is a lot faster than using WD. + Packing/Unpacking is also faster. + Steam runs slightly faster too. + Game mode. + Interface...
  10. Another chance- Hard Disk Sentinel (and SSDs) free- 2+ days from 15th

Another chance- Hard Disk Sentinel (and SSDs) free- 2+ days from 15th: Free Hard Disk Sentinel (100% discount) | SharewareOnSale This gives the best indication I know of problems immediately when run, from connection problems to the drive itself, and an attempt to predict remaining life. Detect Hard Drive Issues Before Catastrophe Strikes...