Windows 10: freeing storage usage of windows storage spaces

Discus and support freeing storage usage of windows storage spaces in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there, I switched from winbtrfs to windows storage spaces. I have 4 drives for them and firstly attached 2 drives, copied data to it and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gnomegemini, Dec 26, 2020.

1. freeing storage usage of windows storage spaces

Hi there,

I switched from winbtrfs to windows storage spaces. I have 4 drives for them and firstly attached 2 drives, copied data to it and then attached the other 2 drives and optimized the storage to equal the storage usage over the 4 drives. Unfortunately the blocks copied to the other drives were not freed on the drives instead the usage increased. Now my drives are full, but they are not really. I copied another 500GB of data and the usage was not increased. So this must be free sectors not used but marked as used.

My setup:

freeing storage usage of windows storage spaces dff02e24-00dd-47f5-bc5c-ecb6ee5d3493?upload=true.png

As you can see in the drive statistics I do not use that much storage:

freeing storage usage of windows storage spaces 30cbf1ee-4a90-4249-ac48-4c5c1d17d23f?upload=true.png

Were are my lost 4TB and how can I get them back? I know from a friend who deleted files and there the storage usage decreased as one would expect.

What I tried:

- defrag/optimize the drive with windows defrag.exe and then another defrag tool to be sure

- Optimize-StoragePool -FriendlyName Speicherpool several times

Get-StoragePool gives:

FriendlyName OperationalStatus HealthStatus IsPrimordial IsReadOnly Size AllocatedSize

------------ ----------------- ------------ ------------ ---------- ---- -------------

Primordial OK Healthy True False 9.54 TB 8.64 TB

Speicherpool OK Healthy False False 8.64 TB 8.36 TB

What can I do further? May the refs be the problem here? If yes is there any way to convert to ntfs? Or any way to get the data to the other ntfs drive byte by byte without attaching another storage drive?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

:)

gnomegemini, Dec 26, 2020

2. Storage Problem

Hi,

It's possible that the 346GB of space that you're seeing under the Apps & games window refers to the available space of the selected drive and not the actual usage. To confirm this information, we suggest that you check the total
    usage through the Storage usage screen instead. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Click the Start menu or Windows icon.
    • Select the gear icon or Settings.
    • Select System > Storage.
    • Under Choose a drive to see what's taking up space, select
      This PC (Drive letter)
    • Under Apps & games, check if the space usage exceeds the estimate 140GB of space.

Let us know should you need further assistance.

Darwin Dim, Dec 26, 2020
  3. Storage Space

Surface Pro 3 storage space is low. Storage settings say that Apps and Games is using 17.5 GB but when I add up the space from the list of apps it is only 5.7 GB. What is taking up up the other ~12 GB and how do I free up space?

renataAtkinson1, Dec 26, 2020
  4. freeing storage usage of windows storage spaces

Windows 10 - settings - storage usage - other?

Hi Steve,

It's possible that some folders are not showing under the Storage usage >
    Others since they are hidden. Though they are hidden, the space that they are taking will still be counted under
    Storage usage > Others. You'll have to identify what files and folder are hidden with the steps below:

• Type hidden in Cortana, the Windows search bar or your task bar.
    • Select Show hidden files and folders from the result.
    • Go to View tab.
    • Enable the Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
    • Hit Apply, then click OK.

Once you're done with these steps, try checking the Storage usage again and see if it will match.

Let us know if it addressed your concern.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Dec 26, 2020
Thema:

freeing storage usage of windows storage spaces

1. freeing storage usage of windows storage spaces - Similar Threads - freeing storage usage

2. INCORRECT FREE STORAGE SPACE SHOWING!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    INCORRECT FREE STORAGE SPACE SHOWING!!!: Dell Inspiron 3501OS: Windows 11 22H2OS Build: 22621.2283Total Storage: 256GBIssue: Selecting all folders and seeing their properties shows me that they are of 26.8 GB out of 100GB that means 73.2 GB is free but when checking the 'drive' properties it shows 15.2 GB is free...
  3. INCORRECT FREE STORAGE SPACE SHOWING!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    INCORRECT FREE STORAGE SPACE SHOWING!!!: Dell Inspiron 3501OS: Windows 11 22H2OS Build: 22621.2283Total Storage: 256GBIssue: Selecting all folders and seeing their properties shows me that they are of 26.8 GB out of 100GB that means 73.2 GB is free but when checking the 'drive' properties it shows 15.2 GB is free...
  4. Free Space Storage Bandicam is ****....... Please No

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Free Space Storage Bandicam is ****....... Please No: Free Space Storage Bandicam is **** ...... Please No https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-space-storage-bandicam-is-please-no/b6be9804-e831-4ac2-86f2-3de5174bc204
  5. Free up storage space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Free up storage space: Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place, but I just wasn't sure where else to put this. My laptop has barely any storage space left, and that's because 174 gigabytes of it are being used by apps. The problem is, I don't have many apps with large sizes, I just have tons of apps...
  6. shown storage space usage is not the really used storage amount

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    shown storage space usage is not the really used storage amount: Hi there, I switched from winbtrfs to windows storage spaces. I have 4 drives for them and firstly attached 2 drives, copied data to it and then attached the other 2 drives and optimized the storage to equal the storage usage over the 4 drives. Unfortunately the blocks...
  7. Free storage space

Free storage space: I am having trouble clearing storage on my PC disk. My laptop has used 28.9 GB of 29 GB. I deleted apps and files. The use of storage on this laptop is now at 28.3 GB. I want to at least delete 10 GB or clear the disk out. I am trying to restore my iPhone using the iTunes app...
  8. Effective Onedrive free storage space

Effective Onedrive free storage space: I understand that each Onedrive account has free 5 g storage space. For each file stored in Onedrive, when editing is done, Onedrive will create a "File History" for that file. Also, if a file is deleted, it will go to the "Recycle bin" My question is that would the...
  9. disk storage: freeing up space

disk storage: freeing up space: Microsoft: In the change how free up space automatically, I had 3.08 GB of space freed up. But it dropped down to 3.06 GB. I managed to free up space and it went up to 3.07 but now, it dropped down to 2.73 GB. What happened there? Is it a bug or is that normal or what is...
  10. Optimize Drive Usage in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Optimize Drive Usage in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Optimize Drive Usage in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Optimize Drive Usage in Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information create virtual drives called storage spaces. These storage spaces typically store two copies of...