Windows 10: Freeing up space in One Drive - how long does it take

Discus and support Freeing up space in One Drive - how long does it take in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have all of my old laptop files on One Drive and just realized that One Drive had them synched to my new laptop including some huge videos i had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PamF4495, Jul 20, 2020.

1. PamF4495 Win User

Freeing up space in One Drive - how long does it take

I have all of my old laptop files on One Drive and just realized that One Drive had them synched to my new laptop including some huge videos i had taken on my phone and Yi camera. I right mouse clicked on the old laptop folder in the One Drive section and selected Free Up Space. All of the files and folders now have the cloud status instead of the check mark. But my C: drive is not showing the 30-60 GBs more free. Does this take a while to show up?

I ran CCleaner to discover this situation. I reran after selecting free up space, and it is still showing the large video files.

The One Drive posts say that if you choose Free Up Space then the files no longer take up space. So, I am thinking that the change takes a short moment to update from checks to clouds in the status column, but it takes a longer while to actually show the freed space.

This has all been in the last hour. Should I let it do its thing overnight, and see the freed space in the morning?

I bought this cheaper Dell w a smaller SSD, and I am getting down to 6GB free on ~120GB HDD. So the 60 GB of synching the old laptop files would be a welcome relief. Just not instant gratification.

Help me set my expectations. Seems like there is more of a lag than I would expect... Thanks for considering the question.

:)

PamF4495, Jul 20, 2020

2. Windows is taking up too much hard drive space.

Hi Trisha,

Windows might have been accumulated large drive space due to installed apps, temporary files, or etc. For us to identify which item mostly accumulates your drive space, we suggest that you check it here:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Storage, and then press Enter.
    • Under Local Storage, click on This
      PC (CFreeing up space in One Drive - how long does it take :).
    • On this window, you will see which item mot accumulate your drive space.

We also recommend that you follow the steps given on this article on how to
    free up drive space in Windows 10
    . Click on every drop down to view the steps.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Janeane Cru, Jul 20, 2020
  3. Freeing up space on hard drive

Windows 7 has a nasty problem of eating up all disk space in the following two folders:

• C:\Windows\Logs\CBS
    • C:\Windows\Temp
    You can delete the contents of both directories without impact. Some files will not be able to be deleted because they are in use. You can skip those, and should not try to delete them.

Additionally, there are many common methods that you can try to free up hard drive space on your Windows 7.

Otherwise reading:

What's Taking up Space on My Hard Drive and How to Free up Space

PeterPeng3, Jul 20, 2020
  4. Mayra Aqu Win User

My HP Stream's C drive is full and I just bought it. What can I do to free up space?

Hi Jennifer,

System files from recent updates are one of the things that are taking too much space on your drive. We suggest performing the steps on the articles below as it can help in removing unnecessary files on your computer.

Additionally, we strongly recommend running your anti-virus software to scan your device as virus and malware can clutter your disk space.

We'll wait for your response about this matter.

Mayra Aqu, Jul 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Freeing up space in One Drive - how long does it take - Similar Threads - Freeing space Drive

2. Free up space with One Drive doesn't do anything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Free up space with One Drive doesn't do anything: I have chosen 'Free Up Space' on a One Drive folder with right mouse option and it doesn't do anything.Files remain on the computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-space-with-one-drive-doesnt-do-anything/b861ff13-c199-4dbd-ab9b-2dd315d07aee
  3. Free up space with One Drive doesn't do anything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Free up space with One Drive doesn't do anything: I have chosen 'Free Up Space' on a One Drive folder with right mouse option and it doesn't do anything.Files remain on the computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-space-with-one-drive-doesnt-do-anything/b861ff13-c199-4dbd-ab9b-2dd315d07aee
  4. "Free up space now" takes so long to clean.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Free up space now" takes so long to clean.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Justacoolkid123 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mr5tjh/free_up_space_now_takes_so_long_to_clean/
  5. One Drive Taking up too much space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One Drive Taking up too much space: This only happens on my laptop my desktop is utterly fine. For some reason, my laptop redownloads everything in my one drive folder. If I try to put stuff back in the cloud it re-downloads automatically the next day. Everything I've seen online to correct this essentially...
  6. Windows taking up free space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows taking up free space: I have downloaded gears 5 using game pass and deleted later. The game has been deleted but its still taking up space. When I checked, a folder 'MSIXVC', is take up nearly 85 GB. Kindly somebody find me a solution to free up space....
  7. How to free up hard drive space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to free up hard drive space: I've got a computer with a ~120G SSD and a larger HDD. I've made a real effort to keep anything discretionary off the SSD, but as I'm a (new) developer there are lots of installs, and the space keeps creeping up. The plan had been to install a larger SSD, but now that Covid...
  8. How to free up hard drive space

in Windows 10 Support
    How to free up hard drive space: I've got a computer with a ~120G SSD and a larger HDD. I've made a real effort to keep anything discretionary off the SSD, but as I'm a (new) developer there are lots of installs, and the space keeps creeping up. The plan had been to install a larger SSD, but now that Covid...
  9. how long does it take to free up space on Windows 10

how long does it take to free up space on Windows 10: I am following the freeing up space and I have been waiting tor 45 minutes and the blue bar does not seem to be progressing any further. Is there a problem?...
  10. Free up drive space

Free up drive space: I'm in settings trying to remove disk space to Free up drive space and it has been over an hour and still is not done. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-drive-space/6444bfde-0eb1-4c41-a966-7bf7ca496634"