Windows 10: Freeware Standalone Firewall

Discus and support Freeware Standalone Firewall in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Are there any decent firewalls around today? Been running Windows FW/FW control but looking around. Comodo = NO Was looking about Glasswire... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ken1943, Dec 31, 2017.

1. ken1943 Win User

Freeware Standalone Firewall

Are there any decent firewalls around today? Been running Windows FW/FW control but looking around. Comodo = NO
    Was looking about Glasswire

Opinions Please

:)

ken1943, Dec 31, 2017

2. Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings

Is this computer being used within an organization or standalone personal device? Are you behind a software or hardware firewall?

Andre Da Costa, Dec 31, 2017
  3. two "securties" running at once?

Two security programs, no. But you are asking about firewall protection.

<q>

Firewall Bonus

Webroot includes firewall protection, even in the standalone antivirus, but it's not the same as what many others do. This firewall doesn't attempt to put your system's ports in stealth mode; it leaves that task to the built-in Windows
    Firewall. You'll want to double-check that Windows Firewall is turned on.

</q>

Source:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2470312,00.asp

Bruce Hagen, Dec 31, 2017
  4. munk1955 Win User

Hello Ken just wanted to give you my take on Comodo......Been using Comodo firewall on probably 10 different PC's for me and my friends since 2003 and no one has ever had one problem with the software and I am currently using it on 4 PC's in my house and absolutely love the program with no problems whatsoever.

So could you explain your reasons for disliking Comodo ?

munk1955, Jan 3, 2018
  5. ken1943 Win User
    Just word of mouth over the years mostly on usenet. How bad are the adds ? I tried a couple of different front ends for the Windows FW.
    Seems like Comodo is the only one left standing. I don't know how well it is updated/changed.

ken1943, Jan 3, 2018
  6. munk1955 Win User
    After it is installed there are zero ads but you just have to watch very close on the install and uncheck the ones(Geek Squad & 1 or 2 others I think - Haven't had to install it as of late) it wants to install along with the installation.....And even if you miss those you can always go to "uninstall or change a program"take a look around and delete them from there.

If you give it another shot let us know how it works out for you.....One of the things I really like is the Containment (Sandbox) it has....I will never use a browser I can't sandbox.....And I go back and forth using Sandboxie also,both are great Sandboxing programs.

And on another topic I just found a nice sweet little browser called "EPIC Privacy Browser" that is light on add-ons but is really safe and fast and just an all around sweet little compact browser.....EPIC needs to get some simple little things added to it but nothing I can't put up with.....I use it in conjunction with Firefox which is my main browser!

munk1955, Jan 3, 2018
  7. ken1943 Win User
    Maybe I will give it a go. Most of my browsing is to sites like this so not to concerned.
    Cheers

ken1943, Jan 3, 2018
  8. Bastet Win User

Bastet, Jan 3, 2018
  9. ken1943 Win User
    isn't that discontinued ? besides very old

ken1943, Jan 3, 2018
  10. Bastet Win User
    Nope, page says 2018 so can’t be discontinued or old.

Bastet, Jan 3, 2018
  11. Callender Win User
    What are you looking for in a firewall? Personally I've tried most but keep using Comodo. Ads can be turned off. You have to use the custom install option to avoid crap.

I'm still using an old version:

Download Comodo Free Firewall 8.4.0.5165 - FileHippo.com

I keep the firewall enabled but disable everything else.

Freeware Standalone Firewall [​IMG]

You might look at Evorim.

Free Firewall

Callender, Jan 4, 2018
  12. ken1943 Win User
    I am looking for anything not Microsoft. Now that I have some suggestions, I can check them out. Running ZoneAlarm on one
    laptop now to test.

ken1943, Jan 4, 2018
  13. TrustMe Win User

I used TinyWall for awhile to block Windows Updates. It did a good job but have since found a better way. You could check it out. I watched a couple YouTube videos to see how it works.

https://tinywall.pados.hu/

TrustMe, Jan 4, 2018
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi folks.

Nothing wrong with Windows firewall -- use the rules properly and it will work as good as anything else.

Another area most people seem to ignore is the usually very good firewalls built into routers these days -- also LOOK AT THE LOGS - then you can see if any attempt has been made to enter your system. Most decent routers allow you to set up the firewalls very easily via a graphical interface.

I'll bet 90% or more reading this section of the board don't use the router firewall and certainly never examine the logs !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Freeware Standalone Firewall - Similar Threads - Freeware Standalone Firewall

2. standalone network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    standalone network: Hello,I am a new sysadmin for a machinist fabrication company. One of the issues that have been brought to my attention is that we have some machines that are running windows 2000 and my bosses want them to be networked to eliminate the need to manually transfer drawings, and...
  3. standalone network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    standalone network: Hello,I am a new sysadmin for a machinist fabrication company. One of the issues that have been brought to my attention is that we have some machines that are running windows 2000 and my bosses want them to be networked to eliminate the need to manually transfer drawings, and...
  4. Seeking a FREEWARE PDF editor, NOT ONLINE

Seeking a FREEWARE PDF editor, NOT ONLINE: I'm looking for a freeware (as opposed to "free DOWNLOAD") PDF editor which works OFFLINE. I have a scanned PDF of a work time sheet I need to fill out every 2 weeks. Basically just need to fill in blank boxes (dates, times etc.) save as a PDF & submit. I've got the scanned...
  5. Freeware Bootable ISO program

Freeware Bootable ISO program: Greetings All, Is there a freeware program that will work with "XP"? 1)...What I have done is copied files from a 4+GB dvd disc to a folder on my desktop...(I made sure to uh-hide hidden files). 2)...I wish to take all those files which also contain a "setup" file and...
  6. Sophos makes SANDBOXIE a FREEWARE!!

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Sophos makes SANDBOXIE a FREEWARE!!: Good news people... Sophos has decided to make Sandboxie free again, and it will be eventually open-source! Click HERE for the homepage. Sophos is excited to announce that we are making Sandboxie a free tool, with plans to transition it to an open source tool. This new...
  7. O&O Shutup10 - privacy freeware

O&O Shutup10 - privacy freeware: OO ShutUp10: download free antispy tool for Windows 10 95837
  8. any keyscramble freeware?

any keyscramble freeware?: any keyscramble tool that is freeware and free of hidden malware ? Please advise. Thank you so much ! 82551
  9. Freeware Alternative(s) for RDP?

Freeware Alternative(s) for RDP?: Anybody seen any freeware alternative ( s) to RDP? 4629
  10. A freeware for Monitoring and scanning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A freeware for Monitoring and scanning: Hello, I am looking for a software (or multiple software) to do these: 1) monitor the internet and lan band and showing in realtime a graph of DL and UL 2) a network scanner 3) a port scanner I know there a dozens but the only one I found that was good now...