Windows 10: Freeze At Desktop With Spinning Cursor After Logon. SSD Error Light?

Discus and support Freeze At Desktop With Spinning Cursor After Logon. SSD Error Light? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Trying to summarise: 1. Sandybridge machine with OCZ Vertex 2 boot drive crashed today. Upon trying to reboot it kept asking me for a valid boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Suntower, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Suntower Win User

Freeze At Desktop With Spinning Cursor After Logon. SSD Error Light?

Trying to summarise:

1. Sandybridge machine with OCZ Vertex 2 boot drive crashed today. Upon trying to reboot it kept asking me for a valid boot disk. I powered down, waited and re-started.

2. It booted up BUT... after I log in and the desktop appears I get the endlessly spinning cursor the moment I try to do -anything-. This seems to be the new normal. Ever 2nd or 3rd boot I get a blue 'Windows Did Not Shut Down Correctly. Would you like Advanced Startup or Restart buttons.

3. I opened the case and the OCZ drive has a green ready light and a red error light. Both the green -and- red light are on.

4. I've tried booting with F4 and F5 and F6 and it won't boot into 'Safe' mode. It hangs when I do.

5. I unplugged the OCZ drive and attached to another PC. It is recognised and the files on most of the drives are visible. But again, the red -and- green lights are on. Also, the Windows and Program and Program X86 folders show as empty... which is of course... impossible, right?

So...
    1a. I assume the OCZ drive is toast, right? Or can it be rehabilitated?

b. Is there a way to boot Win10 without ANY startup programs or with a 'log' of some kind as in previous versions so I can see where it's getting stuck?

2. I just got the Win 10 'free' update from Win 7 right before the July deadline. I do not have a rescue disk. I have a DVD of the Win 10 install, but nothing with a serial number. So... if I get a new SSD, how will I validate my Win 10 install? Or do I have to buy a new license?

I'm not so worried about a 'backup' as all my data is on a separate HD which is fine. I just need the machine to boot up to Win 10 and then I can re-install what I need.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Suntower, Sep 11, 2016

2. Installed windows 10 will not load apps

After installing Windows 10 my laptop is not functioning. I get a logon screen but after signing in I just get a background screen that cycles but never loads anything. The screen momentarily flashes black but then the background screen comes up again.
    Also get the cursor circle spinning continuously.

Gary_Marshall, Sep 11, 2016
  3. Rick.T Win User
    Windows 10 Display Blinking with High CPU

After upgrade to Windows 10, experiencing flashing display and high CPU.

• At initial logon screen everything is normal - wall paper and logon screen display with no blinking
    • After logon, fan starts as CPU usage spikes, cursor is accompanied by the spinning blue circle
    • touchscreen does not respond to swipe to access Recovery/Safe mode for reboot
    • able to get to Task Manager and Perfmon to see high CPU usage and explorer.exe is suspended
    looking for suggestions on how to either fix or roll back to Windows 8.1

Rick.T, Sep 11, 2016
  4. Wullail Win User

The red light or 'red light of death' as it's commonly known means it has to go back to OCZ to be fixed unfortunately , lots of people say their customer service is really bad though and people have been waiting 3-4 weeks to get it back , many do just buy a different manufacturers drive instead.

Wullail, Sep 11, 2016
  5. Suntower Win User
    So are you saying that I could theoretically send it back to them and they repair it?
    If so, does the data persist or is it wiped during repair?

Suntower, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Freeze At Desktop With Spinning Cursor After Logon. SSD Error Light? - Similar Threads - Freeze Desktop Spinning

2. Cursor spinning forever after clicking on a file in explorer or desktop icons.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cursor spinning forever after clicking on a file in explorer or desktop icons.: It happend to me today that I open explorer and left click & right click on one of the download files then the explorer crashed and I close the tab and tried again and again and the cursor keeps spinning and I cant even close the tab itself only in from the task bar. It also...
  3. explorer.exe not responding, spinning cursor on desktop - HELP!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    explorer.exe not responding, spinning cursor on desktop - HELP!: Windows 10 boots up and loads the desktop, but gets stuck with a spinning cursor not an arrow, desktop icons are slow to load, and icons never appear on the taskbar. More importantly, I cannot click on icons nor use the search bar.This used to occur periodically, but after...
  4. After right click on desktop the cursor is spinning/turning around.

in Windows 10 Customization
    After right click on desktop the cursor is spinning/turning around.: After starting the pc i right click on my windows 10 laptop but the cursor is spinnig like something is loading. And it lasting more than 10 minute. I have already tried sfc/scannow command but no results. What can i do?? Should i reinstall the windows?? Is Repeated...
  5. AFTER SELECTING A GAME THE ICON SPINS THEN FREEZES

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    AFTER SELECTING A GAME THE ICON SPINS THEN FREEZES: AFTER SELECTING A GAME THE ICON SPINS THEN FREEZES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-selecting-a-game-the-icon-spins-then-freezes/fc6c8538-b20a-481d-83fd-2c42002058fa"
  6. desktop and cursor freezing now and again.

desktop and cursor freezing now and again.: Am in my 80's so not quite so fast. Recently out of the blue the cursor and screen will freeze (Desktop Windows 10) and then on my restarting work again. Then if left for a short while unattended, we be frozen again. This last time after pressing one or two keys randomly...
  7. Spinning cursor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Spinning cursor: ok so untelated to many others with a similar issue. I restored my pc, everything was fine, but when i sign in and get to my windows home screen the home screen has a spinning blue circle with NO mouse cursor, just a spinning circle, and it only affects the home screen, i can...
  8. Blackscreen with spinning cursor

Blackscreen with spinning cursor: I was just watching anime online then suddenly my laptop's screen blacks out with its loading cursor spinning also freezes the screen for some reason i couldn't do a thing ctlr+alt+del didn't even work so i force shutdown my laptop. I also tried to start it once again then...
  9. Cursor with spinning circle.....

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cursor with spinning circle.....: After the Fall Creators Update, all three of my systems have suffered from the dreaded "Cursor and Spinning Circle". Two of my systems have locked up completely. Thank God for my imaging program that allowed me to restore these systems to working order. BUT, this keeps...
  10. Desktop stuck and won't boot freeze at spinning dots

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop stuck and won't boot freeze at spinning dots: My pc shut down in sleep mode and I have not been able to get it to boot up again after trying literally 100s of things.What happens is most of the time I can't get any display when I turn it on and the keyboard lights don't come on. Then some time I can get it to boot to the...