Windows 10: Freeze (crash) after boot or at login screen (only mouse moves)

Discus and support Freeze (crash) after boot or at login screen (only mouse moves) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi guys! So basically this started happening after first upgrading to Win10 some time ago. I then reinstalled Win10 (fresh) for a while and it all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by tormi, Mar 31, 2017.

1. tormi Win User

Freeze (crash) after boot or at login screen (only mouse moves)

Hi guys!

So basically this started happening after first upgrading to Win10 some time ago. I then reinstalled Win10 (fresh) for a while and it all seemed ok for a short while. Now more and more often my computer freezes making me have to reboot 2 or 3 times after logging into Windows. Sometimes also freezes on login screen. Usually mouse moves but I cant click or touch anything.

· OS - Windows 10 x64 (fresh install - less then 1 year)

​Speccy information:
    http://speccy.piriform.com/results/r...i8df3itK7bIxBa

All help is appreciated!

:)

tormi, Mar 31, 2017
  2. KelvinFei Win User

Windows 10

Hello.

I recently update to latest windows 10 version. But after restart the screen remain at windows boot animation and mouse appear not showing the login. I can only move the mouse.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

KelvinFei, Mar 31, 2017
  3. HP Laptop freezes when Booting

Thank you for such a rapid response!

It did boot before the latest windows update, although

(a) "powering on" to "login screen" took a long time and

(b) the system would freeze after being used for only a few minutes.

I have managed to use the built in "HP utilities" to restore the BIOS and do a System Restore. Then I removed the battery and drained the capacitors.

Since then, I've been able to boot up the laptop.

It's still painfully slow, so I'm defragging and running further tests on the hard drive.

I may have partially solved it, but time will tell.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now when I choose to Restart the laptop, the login screen only appears after a long time and then the system freezes (mouse pointer doesn't move, ALT-CTRL-DEL fails to work etc).

PeterMothersole, Mar 31, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello and welcome to TenForums *Smile

The errors point to a hard disk problem.

Code: DISK_HARDWARE_ERROR: There was error with disk hardware KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (7a) The requested page of kernel data could not be read in. Typically caused by a bad block in the paging file or disk controller error. BugCheck 154, {ffffaf09e8843000, ffff9280e4736ff0, 2, 0} *** WARNING: Unable to verify checksum for win32k.sys Probably caused by : hardware_disk[/quote] Please check your disks using a utility like HDTune. Hopefully this will identify any problems.

Freeze (crash) after boot or at login screen (only mouse moves) [​IMG]
    Diagnostics Test
    Freeze (crash) after boot or at login screen (only mouse moves) [​IMG]
    HDD TEST
    *Arrow Run HDTune to
    • check the health,
    • scan for errors, no quick scan but full scan
    • run a benchmark.
    It may take some time to perform it properly. Look for any signs of errors and post results.

philc43, Mar 31, 2017
  5. tormi Win User
    So I found I had 1 HD giving out way to high temperatures. Will replace this one as soon as I have finished HDTunein another HD. Thios HD seems to have a few errors: Yellow on "Current Pending sector" and blue on "C/ Interface CRC Error Count. Has been scanning it for hours so far found 1 Error at 545956 MB (LBA 1118118336): Does this mean I need to replace this disk too. None of the erronoun disks are boot disks...

tormi, Mar 31, 2017
  6. philc43 Win User
    Good news that your boot disks are OK. Change one thing at a time so that you can verify improvements and be sure you have cured the BSOD problem. Make backups of everything (if you have not already done so) in case you get a complete failure.

Have a look at the following tutorial that shows how CHKDSK can be used to check and repair errors:
    Drive Error Checking in Windows 10

philc43, Mar 31, 2017
  7. tormi Win User
    Will do. Now would you characterize this as a BSOD crash? Not 100% I did put this in the right forum. But it definitively is a crash of some kind. Will post as I progress.

tormi, Mar 31, 2017
  8. philc43 Win User

The error analysis I did was from several mini-dumps created from your BSOD events. It is quite possible that you have been getting a mixture of freezes and crashes and that not all of them have triggered a BSOD. But the log files showed you had a BSOD on 16th, 28th and 31st March.

philc43, Mar 31, 2017
  9. tormi Win User
    Ok thanks alot, and FYI I must have gone blind here. Going through the drives again I find this error on my 180GB Intel SSD boot drive:

(05) Retired Block Count:2

This does not sound too good... Time to get rid of this HD too?

If I should get rid of it, could it still be used for a storage disk for non important data without causing crashes to comp?

tormi, Mar 31, 2017
  10. philc43 Win User
    Retired block counts indicate that these blocks have been marked so as not to be used, the disk will continue to work fine but if the count starts to rise it indicates that the disk is failing. Keep a check on it but it doesn't sound too bad at the moment.

philc43, Mar 31, 2017
  11. tormi Win User
    Still there is a lot of errors in the Eventviewer. This one (and some like it) I have had for a long time:
    "The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM\{6d7958e0-16aa-11e7-bfa1-002683379cfd}#0000000000100000."

There obviously is something wrong here. I just did replace one olde 320gb (remember those?*Smile) HD, with another old one 500. I have not had any crashes since coming here, but I still think there is stuff wrong. Like driver issues. I reran the DM log collector and added it to this post if there is any changes.

tormi, Mar 31, 2017
  12. philc43 Win User
    Don't be worried by those event viewer warning messages, I get them too. They seem to occur at bootup. Some people have reported that by changing the way the Windows Driver Foundation service starts from "Manual" to "Automatic" these errors will go away. I've not bothered since it does not seem to be a problem.

philc43, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Freeze (crash) after boot or at login screen (only mouse moves) - Similar Threads - Freeze crash boot

2. Screen freezes but I can move my mouse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen freezes but I can move my mouse: Recently, I got a new pc, its quite high end, rtx 4070 with a 13th gen intel i7 on windows 11. I have such a high end pc to play games, so I was playing Valorant and I switched tabs over to discord and then my whole screen froze, but I was able to move my mouse. The screen...
  3. Screen freezes but I can move my mouse

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen freezes but I can move my mouse: Recently, I got a new pc, its quite high end, rtx 4070 with a 13th gen intel i7 on windows 11. I have such a high end pc to play games, so I was playing Valorant and I switched tabs over to discord and then my whole screen froze, but I was able to move my mouse. The screen...
  4. Windows 11 - Black screen after login mouse cursor only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Black screen after login mouse cursor only: Many of our computers are getting a black screen after log in randomly. I am unable to start explorer.exe from task manager, it immediately will crash. This appears to have started a couple months ago. In each case event log will show an event ID 270 StateRepository for every...
  5. Windows 11 - Black screen after login mouse cursor only

Windows 11 - Black screen after login mouse cursor only: Many of our computers are getting a black screen after log in randomly. I am unable to start explorer.exe from task manager, it immediately will crash. This appears to have started a couple months ago. In each case event log will show an event ID 270 StateRepository for every...
  6. Windows 10 freezes on boot screen. This only happens from a cold boot and only after...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 freezes on boot screen. This only happens from a cold boot and only after...: Windows 10 freezes on boot screen with rotating wait symbol. This only happens from a cold boot. It has only started this behaviour after enabling secure boot. Pressing reset on the computer case causes the machine to boot normally. Using CHKDSK finds no errors, Using SFC...
  7. Windows 10 freezes on boot screen. This only happens from a cold boot and only after...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 freezes on boot screen. This only happens from a cold boot and only after...: Windows 10 freezes on boot screen with rotating wait symbol. This only happens from a cold boot. It has only started this behaviour after enabling secure boot. Pressing reset on the computer case causes the machine to boot normally. Using CHKDSK finds no errors, Using SFC...
  8. Windows 10 freezes on boot screen. This only happens from a cold boot and only after...

9. Windows desktop freezes + crashes after login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows desktop freezes + crashes after login: As the title says, the whole desktop freezes after I've logged in. I can get the Ctrl + Alt + Delete menu up but task manager wont appear until the desktop finally sorts itself out. My wallpaper doesn't appear while it's frozen (grey screen) and the little cortana mic is also...
  10. Windows 10 Acer Laptop freezes after login...Mouse stops moving

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Acer Laptop freezes after login...Mouse stops moving: About a few days ago out of the blue for no reason or warning, when i'd start up my laptop it would work fine but after i'd log in the whole system would just freeze after a few minutes, other times instantly after log in. When it freezes it doesn't give me a chance for the...