Windows 10: Freeze on awake

Discus and support Freeze on awake in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; With the new windows I had the wake freeze once so far. Chkdsk behaves as before, the only way it was able to process C: was booting from a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ZoltanE, Jan 31, 2016.

1. ZoltanE Win User

Freeze on awake

With the new windows I had the wake freeze once so far. Chkdsk behaves as before, the only way it was able to process C: was booting from a recovery/install USB stick and forcing a volume dismount. It showed no issues just like Passmark's and windows' SMART checks. SFC did find corruptions and this time around it could not fix them right away. However after taking these steps it says everything is fine... Well, we'll see.

ZoltanE, Feb 13, 2016
  2. dalchina New Member

Strange you've had to repair Windows immediately after installing it - that's effectively an in-place upgrade repair install.
    tends to suggest maybe you received a windows update and the procedure reversed it?

Note your SFC failure may have been insignificant.. you have an Nvidia card and some people get a report about an Nvidia Opencl.dll when they run SFC /scannow.. it's a bug.

dalchina, Feb 13, 2016
  3. ZoltanE Win User
    Oh one important difference between my previous and current win 10 installation: last time I put it on the deferred upgrade path but now I'm on the default (daily?) one. It is possible that an update was undone. Is there a way to tell what version I'm currently at?

I do have an nvidia card. I've never been able to properly update their driver under win 10, it always fails unless I scrub everything nvidia from the system first with DDU.

So my current theory is that the wake freeze was caused by some win update but its fix in the next update(s) didn't arrive (because I was on the deferred update path) before my efforts to fix windows pushed it so far and c: got full. Well, the loss of 15Gb during my fixing attempts does remain a mystery tho. Now I have everything set up, all software reinstalled and still have 50Gb room on c: which I haven't seen since installing Win 7 RTM.

ZoltanE, Feb 13, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Freeze on awake

Hi, sounds reasonable... which begs the question as to what is the underlying cause.
    A reasonable wild guess might be to sort out your graphics driver issue.
    I suppose you should be able to install that in Safe Mode (need to enable installation in Safe Mode - search to find out how)

Clearly you can check your control panel Programs and Features to see which updates you've received and when.

To see your build no.:
    Windows version: Windows key + R, and in the run dialogue, type Winver

dalchina, Feb 13, 2016
  5. ZoltanE Win User
    Sigh, I had the freeze twice in a row again. I sat down tried several sleep-wake loops with more and more apps running but couldn't repro the freeze. Although god knows what kind of background processes start and stop over the course of the day. So now I'm back trying to find any kind of pattern.

ZoltanE, Feb 22, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Feb 22, 2016
  7. ZoltanE Win User
    I checked the windows logs but there is nothing from the time of the freeze: There are stuff from before the pc went to sleep then the next things are warnings that windows had an unclean start (ie I pushed the reset button when it froze up). I couldn't find anything with the timestamp of the freeze. Maybe logging is buffered and it never got around to actually write anything before freezing? I'll take another look. Anyway I've installed Whocrashed, we'll see if it can get a minidump after the next freeze.

Thanks for the thread link, I guess this evening I'll just chill and tenforums... *Smile

ZoltanE, Feb 22, 2016
  8. ZoltanE Win User

Freeze on awake

After a few good days it occurred again. WhoCrashed did not find a minidump to work with. However I went through the event list again and while I still couldn't see an entry from the time of the failed awakening, I noticed the following error in the System event list:

Code: The previous system shutdown at 9:48:01 PM on ‎2/‎25/‎2016 was unexpected.[/quote] The timestamp matches the time I sent the PC to sleep last night. Maybe something goes sideways while going to sleep? Or it could be that it froze so fast that it couldn't update some data and after the reset it still thinks it was reset last night...

ZoltanE, Feb 25, 2016
  9. ZoltanE Win User
    March, April and the first half of May was somewhat bearable, I only got a freeze maybe once a week. However in the past two-three weeks it's bad once again, I have a 50-50 chance to see a proper wake up.

But why I'm posting is that I've just observed something interesting: the machine was in sleep mode, I woke it up, desktop showed but everything was frozen, HDD led was constantly on. I swore and hit the reset button. For several seconds nothing happened (not unusual) then the pc restarted. However this time instead of a fresh windows start I got my suspended session back! I saw the same desktop with the same apps open as the first time but now everything was working.

I really hope this is not a one off event, this waking bug is really getting on my nerves...

ZoltanE, May 30, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Being a desktop, have you considered it might be a PSU issue- think hardware?
    Check memory...

I believe you've run chkdsk and checked SMART parameters.

dalchina, May 30, 2016
  11. ZoltanE Win User
    Hmm interesting... how would I check if it's a PSU issue? My PSU is about 30% oversized, I prepared the HW for overclocking which I never bothered with.
    I render quite often, calculate lighting for a game engine but never had an issue. However I probably should log voltage values with some monitoring app to get an idea about their stability. And do some memory testing. Yeah it's just so weird and unheard of that it could very well be some HW trouble...

ZoltanE, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Freeze on awake

1. Freeze on awake - Similar Threads - Freeze awake

2. Computer freezes and proceeds to restart while playing games Description

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezes and proceeds to restart while playing games Description: When playing games Mostly Warframe, Call Of Duty Black Ops 3, Destiny 2 my screen freeezes then proceeds to restart after about 10 minutes without manually resetting i dont know how to replicate or why it happens but i would nt mind trying to figure out why :DPC Specs:CPU :...
  3. Computer freezes and proceeds to restart while playing games Description

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer freezes and proceeds to restart while playing games Description: When playing games Mostly Warframe, Call Of Duty Black Ops 3, Destiny 2 my screen freeezes then proceeds to restart after about 10 minutes without manually resetting i dont know how to replicate or why it happens but i would nt mind trying to figure out why :DPC Specs:CPU :...
  4. Windows 11 PC randomly freezes without blue screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 PC randomly freezes without blue screen: Hello,My laptop is suffering a serious situation that affect me quite a lot. This problem only occurs when my computer only running on discrete GPUcalled "dGPU direct connection mode" in my computer. Whether I am playing games, writing documents, or even just on hook, the...
  5. Windows 11 PC randomly freezes without blue screen

Windows 11 PC randomly freezes without blue screen: Hello,My laptop is suffering a serious situation that affect me quite a lot. This problem only occurs when my computer only running on discrete GPUcalled "dGPU direct connection mode" in my computer. Whether I am playing games, writing documents, or even just on hook, the...
  6. Screen Freezing of the laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen Freezing of the laptop: i have a gaming laptop and sometimes my laptop suddenly stops responding, the screen is not moving and the touchpad isn't working only that moving is when i use my mouse to move cursor. so i closes my laptop and reopens it to see a blank screen with the audio in background...
  7. Screen Freezing of the laptop

Screen Freezing of the laptop: i have a gaming laptop and sometimes my laptop suddenly stops responding, the screen is not moving and the touchpad isn't working only that moving is when i use my mouse to move cursor. so i closes my laptop and reopens it to see a blank screen with the audio in background...
  8. windows 11 pro after 6-10 hours of pc being onsleep or awake it starts to freeze up all...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 pro after 6-10 hours of pc being onsleep or awake it starts to freeze up all...: this started about a week or so ago I have a weird issue where after around a day of use my pc starts freeze/ crash all running applications along with not loading or freezing other applications windows search stops working I can get into ctrl alt delete menu but anything I...
  9. windows 11 pro after 6-10 hours of pc being onsleep or awake it starts to freeze up all...

windows 11 pro after 6-10 hours of pc being onsleep or awake it starts to freeze up all...: this started about a week or so ago I have a weird issue where after around a day of use my pc starts freeze/ crash all running applications along with not loading or freezing other applications windows search stops working I can get into ctrl alt delete menu but anything I...
  10. Logitech mouse freezes up after computer is awake from sleep mode.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Logitech mouse freezes up after computer is awake from sleep mode.: I know this is a duplicate of another thread, but I couldn't get anyone to reply back to me in the other thread. But I have a Logitech mouse on my second computer which is an Acer Aspire XC-603G Desktop PC. When I wiggle the mouse to wake it up from sleep, sometimes the...