Windows 10: Freezes but mouse cursor and keyboard still work - must reboot

Discus and support Freezes but mouse cursor and keyboard still work - must reboot in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Greetings, I have what I think is a pretty unusual freezing problem on my Windows 10 machine that I'm hoping someone can help me with. This only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Ben789456, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Ben789456 Win User

Freezes but mouse cursor and keyboard still work - must reboot

Greetings,

I have what I think is a pretty unusual freezing problem on my Windows 10 machine that I'm hoping someone can help me with. This only started happening after I upgraded from Windows 7 64-bit to Windows 10 64-bit last fall. I did a fresh install on a brand new Samsung 860 SSD.

Here's what happens: At random times, the computer will freeze. But it freezes in a very particular way. I can still move the cursor around with the mouse. In whatever window was active at the time of the freeze, I can click around and do things, execute parts of the program, etc. I can click into other windows if they're on the screen but not from the taskar. Once I'm in those other windows, though, I clicking with the mouse does nothing.

The keyboard, however, works fine. I can use Alt-Tab to move between windows. If I can figure out the keyboard commands, I can do things in those other windows. And I am able, by clicking the Windows button and tabbing around, restart the computer.

From what I can tell, it's random when it happens. Sometimes I'll get a freeze and then after rebooting, the freeze will re-occur. But not always. I've gone weeks between freezes, but sometimes they're very frequently where I have several in only a few days.

Here's what I've tried to do to fix this but didn't help:

• Swapped out my mouse with a wired mouse
    • I reseated my GPU into another slot months ago hoping that would solve this. It did not.
    • After I installed Windows, there were no chipset drivers listed on the Asus website under Windows 10, so I installed the versions for Windows 8 64-bit. For reference, here is the support website with drivers listed: SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 Driver & Tools | Motherboards | ASUS USA
    • BIOS is up-to-date and has been this whole time (version 2901).
    • No problems noticed with overheating. I have good airflow through my case and check temperatures regularly.
    • My virtual memory is custom set with initial size 3954 MB and maximum size 35850 MB. The C-drive is a 500 GB SSD.

Event Viewer - I don't notice any errors associated with the freezes. Like none at all. I do have quite a few DCOM errors, but they don't co-occur with the freezes. This one, for example, happened almost 10 minutes before the freeze:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    Windows.SecurityCenter.WscBrokerManager
    and APPID
    Unavailable
    to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
    I also don't notice any additional errors in the Reliability History.

My suspicions from googling (though this is a hard one to google for):
    • Something PSU-related. Would there be a good way to look into this more beyond getting a new one?
    • I got my motherboard and CPU way back in 2014. Is it possible these just aren't compatible with Windows 10 and I'd need to upgrade?
    • My previous computer was also an Asus motherboard, and at the time there seemed to be compatibility issues with Samsung SSDs that manifested in weird audio pops, not freezing. I thought these issues had been resolved, but I'm wondering if there might be more Asus-Samsung compatibility issues that have sprung up.
    • After I upgraded to Windows 10, I noticed that Windows wasn't showing my full RAM. I have four sticks of RAM installed. I had to swap them around (basically reverse which slots the two pairs were in), but Windows then did see the full amount.
    • I've seen mention of disabling C-states in my BIOS, but I don't want to mess with that unless I think it could work.

I appreciate any help you can all provide me. Now that I'm working from home, having a computer I can rely on is a lot more important, so I'm hoping to get this figured out.

Thanks in advance!!

:)

Ben789456, Apr 8, 2020

2. keyboard and mouse not working

Hi Chrystal,

For us to properly isolate the issue with your keyboard and mouse, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • Are you using a wired or wireless keyboard and mouse?
    • Have you tried using a different keyboard and mouse? If yes, how was it?
    • Have you tried using your keyboard and mouse to another computer? If yes, what is the result?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you try updating your keyboard and mouse drivers to resolve the issue. You may also check and follow the troubleshooting steps in this
    article.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Apr 8, 2020
  3. Computer and mouse freeze

Hi

There are several reasons that could have cause your keyboard and mouse to freeze. To know more about the issue, we will ask some questions to help us:

• Were there recent changes made before the issue occurred?
    • What are the steps that you've done so far to know where the issue is coming from?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you refer to this article:
    Mouse, touchpad, and keyboard problems in Windows
    for us to check all setting needed to help us in resolving your issue.

Let us know about the update.

Kristine Som, Apr 8, 2020
  4. Freezes but mouse cursor and keyboard still work - must reboot

Mouse Cursor and pad cursor - Acer Aspire Lap Top.

Hi Tess,

Based on the description that you mentioned, you're having challenges controlling the mouse cursor. It looks like we will need more information about your concern in order to give the most appropriate advice. As such, please answer the following questions:

• Did make any changes to your computer prior to this issue (e.g. updating Windows operating system, hardware changes, etc.)?
    • Can you please tell us more description of the behavior of the mouse cursor?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you refer to the link below for helpful tips and steps on how you can resolve this issue:

Mouse, touchpad, and keyboard problems in Windows

We also suggest that you update the drivers in
    Windows 10
    as this process will apply new features and fixes that are essential to your hardware drivers.

We're looking forward to your response.

Lawrence Lib, Apr 8, 2020
Thema:

Freezes but mouse cursor and keyboard still work - must reboot

1. Freezes but mouse cursor and keyboard still work - must reboot - Similar Threads - Freezes mouse cursor

2. Windows 10 freezes but the mouse cursor still working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 freezes but the mouse cursor still working: Hi, I'm experiencing Windows 10 freezes on the 1st startup, however, the mouse cursor is still working but unable to click anything and the PC was fine on working for few hours after the restart by pressing the reset button.It happened since early October and it was fine...
  3. Windows 10 freezes but the mouse cursor still working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 freezes but the mouse cursor still working: Hi, I'm experiencing Windows 10 freezes on the 1st startup, however, the mouse cursor is still working but unable to click anything and the PC was fine on working for few hours after the restart by pressing the reset button.It happened since early October and it was fine...
  4. Windows 10 freezes but the mouse cursor still working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Computer freezing but mouse cursor still functions

Computer freezing but mouse cursor still functions: I'm having a problem with Windows 10 freezing at random times. It happens when I'm playing a game or just being idle. The mouse pointer will still move, and I'm able to open the start menu but when clicking buttons and trying to open the task manager, nothing actually...
  6. Mouse cursor freezing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse cursor freezing: To start things off I use a Perixx peripad 704 wireless mouse. When I move my finger across the mouse pad the mouse cursor responds as it should but then it freezes a few seconds later. So what I do is run my finger quickly across the mouse to get it unstuck however a few...
  7. Laptop Freezes but Mouse and Keyboard Works

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop Freezes but Mouse and Keyboard Works: I have a HP OMEN 15-cex series laptop. Recently I encountered a blue screen error, so I reset my Laptop, reinstalled Windows and I cleaned all the dust inside my laptop as well. Now the BSOD has stopped occurring but my laptop suddenly freezes ( especially while gaming,...
  8. windows freezes but mouse still works

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    windows freezes but mouse still works: so im doing this for my brother. so yesterday he opened his computer and then it said Toshiba like it always has and then when the screen turned to the lock screen nothing showed up except his lock screen background and his mouse whatever button you pressed nothing happened...
  9. Mouse cursor freeze

Mouse cursor freeze: Hello, My mouse cursor freezes from time to time which is very annoying. I only use Windows for gaming purposes. I spent the last 2 months away from my Windows computer. I came back last week, played a bit and then did the updates I missed. I noticed the problem after I...
  10. Mouse Cursor Freezing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse Cursor Freezing: I don't know if this is a repeat question, hopefully it isn't, but I'm not finding anything that looks like my situation. I use a drawing tablet and a mouse. As far as I can tell, this only occurs when I use the mouse, but it affects both. Occasionally the mouse will...