Windows 10: Freezing/Hitching after reinstallation on SSD

Discus and support Freezing/Hitching after reinstallation on SSD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; For the sake of context, I am going to share every single issue I have had previously prior to where I am now, as they may be related in some way.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Blake2115, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Blake2115 Win User

Freezing/Hitching after reinstallation on SSD

For the sake of context, I am going to share every single issue I have had previously prior to where I am now, as they may be related in some way.

Currently, my issue is that after having reinstalled Windows 10 Pro on my Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, I am experiencing freezing, system lockups, hitching when opening some apps/programs (if they open at all), and I am at my wits end as to why.

I reinstalled Windows for two reasons, one being that my DisplayPort stopped working on my monitor (I found out soon after that all I had to do was unplug the monitor for a second and plug it back in), but even prior to that, it wasn't uncommon for me to experience somewhat consistent BSOD's, most of them bringing up something like "Critical Process Died", but I was never able to actually diagnose what was wrong because the logging would sit at 0% and then the PC would restart, so I had no logs or events to look at, they happened at random as well, so I was at a loss as to what could cause them.

That brings me to where I am now, having reinstalled Windows 10 Pro, and I now have my aforementioned issues. I have tried so many things, changing advanced settings in Power Options like PCI Link State to "Off", Turn Off Hard Disk to "Never", I have run SFC, DISM, no issues reported. I have reset Windows, issues still occur, reset IPStack, disabling Memory Paging as I have 16GB of RAM and have never once come close to maxing it out, turned off File Indexing on my SSD, none of it has worked from what I can tell. Afaik, my drivers are all up-to-date, I have used Driver Booster to double and triple check, and I have used CCleaner just to see if that would help, which it did not.

I do not have a vendor/manufacturer for my PC as it is custom built, so here are my specifications:
    CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

MB: ASRock AB350 Pro4 on BIOS Ver. P5.00

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti

RAM: 2x8 16GB G.Skill 2400MHz DDR4

SSD (Boot Drive): Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
    HDD: WD 2TB Blue

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

:)

Blake2115, Oct 14, 2018

2. SSD stops and freezes laptop

Couple of updates:

1. I created a Linux boot USB key, and monitored my SSD under Linux, so this is evidently not a Windows issue, and
    2. I loaded new firmware for the SSD, and my system seems to be functioning normally now. What a pleasure using a PC that doesn't consistently freeze up.

Thanks to all y'all for your suggestions!

Regards,

Dave

DavidMiller36415, Oct 14, 2018
  3. Reinstalling windows 10 on SSD

Hi Ralph,

Regarding your concern about changing the hard drive, you can definitely reinstall Windows 10 and activate it after changing your HDD to SSD. We suggest that you

back up your files
    in your SSD. You can use the Windows 10 USB, you can also follow the steps provided by
    Andre Da Costa in this
    forum article
    . This will give you steps on how to install Windows using media creation tool or directly using your web browser.

In line with your license concern, it should be activated after you reinstall Windows 10 on the same desktop even after you made the hardware change. You can follow the steps provided in this

article
    to re-activate Windows 10.

Update us with the result so we can further assist you.

Anthony Gal, Oct 14, 2018
  4. Freezing/Hitching after reinstallation on SSD

Reinstalling windows 10 on SSD

Step 1: Backup your important files:

Step 2: create a new bootable copy of Windows 10. The Windows 10 USB you have is the original version of Windows 10 which quite outdated.

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2:

Step 3: Shutdown the computer, remove the HDD then install the SSD

Step 4: Perform a clean install.

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft
    Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate. You will prompted to enter a product key a couple times through the installation, click I don't have
    a key and Do this later.

There is no need to know or get a new key, but if you have issues with Digital Licensing or the Activation Troubleshooter, you can utilize an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key you already own to
    reactivate if necessary. or use the reset function in Windows 10.

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Andre Da Costa, Oct 14, 2018
Thema:

Freezing/Hitching after reinstallation on SSD

1. Freezing/Hitching after reinstallation on SSD - Similar Threads - Freezing Hitching reinstallation

2. after reinstall win 10 on ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    after reinstall win 10 on ssd: i had a ssd with win 10 on and a second hdd disk. with all the games on, i discounted the hdd before installing win10 to the ssd, after reinstalling win 10 on a ssd i reconnected the hdd but it says it cant not read it and needs to reformate tried changing drive letters...
  3. after reinstall win 10 on ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    after reinstall win 10 on ssd: i had a ssd with win 10 on and a second hdd disk. with all the games on, i discounted the hdd before installing win10 to the ssd, after reinstalling win 10 on a ssd i reconnected the hdd but it says it cant not read it and needs to reformate tried changing drive letters...
  4. after reinstall win 10 on ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. ssd freezing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ssd freezing: so basically I'm having an issue here like my laptop starts to freeze and lag and hold when i open tabs on a browser or run any sort of program idk whats the problem i tried downloading the link power management but it still is not helping and also sometimes when i unplug its...
  6. Logging Event ID's 153 and 129 causing hitches, freezes in windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Logging Event ID's 153 and 129 causing hitches, freezes in windows 10: I have had a persistent problem for about a year now, and have not been able to find any solutions for it. I downloaded an update in January that caused my system to start having intermittent freezes and hitches that, on average, last about 45 seconds and cause my system to...
  7. Reinstall after SSD replaced

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Reinstall after SSD replaced: I've looked through the forum, but I'm not giving up yet. I refuse to admit I paid so much for a coaster. Dell Inspiron 7737 32GB ram 2TD SSD just turned off Windoes repair activated 1x then nothing SSD failed - I thought that clicking noise was the fan. I reseated the...
  8. Reinstall on ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstall on ssd: Hello. I just got a new ssd and want to reinstall windows on it. Should I do a clean install or is there any free alternative way to migrate? Thanks submitted by /u/noxtare [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fmhw1f/reinstall_on_ssd/
  9. Freezing after change HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Freezing after change HDD to SSD: Dear Admin/Moderator My desktop is Lenovo Q190 with intel i3, 4GB RAM. I changed internal HDD with SSD (Hikvision SSD 120GB). I make 2 partitions : 1st. 93GB and 2nd.13GB. I Installed clean Windows 10 Pro ver.1093. It was running well for an hour, suddenly Freezing and...
  10. After clean reinstall with new SSD, Laptop freezes on sleep/shutdown?

in Windows 10 Support
    After clean reinstall with new SSD, Laptop freezes on sleep/shutdown?: Although I treat my laptop as a desktop and keep it running 24/7, this is kind of annoying. I had recently performed a clean reinstall when I upgraded my laptop to a Samsung 850 Evo, and ever since then I've had problems with sleep. If I initiate sleep, hibernation, or...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows is hitching

2. new ssd is hitching

3. windows 10 hitching on nvme