Windows 10: Freezing Under Load

Discus and support Freezing Under Load in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, I have a custom built windows 10 gaming pc. My pc is “freezing” under load. However, I am still able access the start menu. All drivers are up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ParrotGaming27, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Freezing Under Load

Hello, I have a custom built windows 10 gaming pc. My pc is “freezing” under load. However, I am still able access the start menu. All drivers are up to date.

Specs: OS: Windows 10 1909 MB: MSI B350 Tomahawk Ram: 16GB DDR4 CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600x (not overclocked) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 (not overclocked)

submitted by /u/ParrotGaming27
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ParrotGaming27, Mar 23, 2020
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Strange freezing under GPU and CPU load.

My main rig has been suffering from very random complete freezes over the past month, which require a hard reset. And I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Here are the facts:

• It only does it when the GPU and CPU are under a lot of load(i.e. Folding)
    • It does it rather often while playing Plants vs. Zombies, which is probably due to the high GPU/CPU load.
    • It does it with everything at stock speeds.
    • When I reboot the computer after the freeze. All of the websites that I've logged into, such as TPU, require me to log in again. <-- This one is really strange to me.
    • PSU fan has started to noticeably click when I shut the computer down, but I know it is still spinning, but maybe not fast enough?
    Here is what I've tried:

• Reset everything to stock.
    • Swapped out 3 different video cards.
    • Ran CPU folding only for a week. <-- No freezes.
    • Ran GPU folding only for a week. <-- No freezes.
    • Added second auxilary PSU to power GPU only.
    • Removed 2 sticks of RAM.
    That is kind of where I'm stumped.

I thought maybe it was the PSU, so I tried to take some load off of it by adding an auxilary PSU I had laying around. That didn't help at all, though I still think it might be the PSU, so I ordered a Corsair HX850, which should be here this week. The PSU is almost 3 years old at this point.

My next guess is the HDD, and I only say that because it seems like every time the computer freezes, it corrupts any cookies I have stored, forcing me to log into every website again. Also, it is probably older than the PSU at this point. If the new PSU doesn't fix it, a new HDD is probably my next step.

I also found it very stange that it crashes a lot with Plants vs. Zombies(girlfriend loves it, which pisses her off more than me, but gets me in trouble every time it freezes just as she is about to win a level). However, I figured out that even though it is a very simple game graphically, it uses a lot of CPU and GPU power(it is hardware accellerated and does use a lot of the CPU when there is a lot of stuff going on). I haven't had a freeze in any other game, including Just Cause 2, which I've been playing extensively.

Am I overlooking anything?

newtekie1, Mar 23, 2020
  3. wt_lesny Win User
    Windows Vista Wont Install Freezes?

had the same problem, freezes and long installation including each step loading, in my case a bios update helped.

wt_lesny, Mar 23, 2020
  4. Freezing Under Load

Windows 10 freezes randomly

I had already tried turning off fast startup, to no avail.
    Will look at the list you provided, thanks. Hard to do when computer freezes on the Windows loading screen though. *Biggrin
    I had tried that as well... no result.

Mountain Dew, Mar 23, 2020
Thema:

Freezing Under Load

1. Freezing Under Load - Similar Threads - Freezing Under Load

2. Win 11 box freezes under low/no load, fine under high load

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 box freezes under low/no load, fine under high load: Hi,Having irritation with my Win 11 PC which is black-screening/hard locking power/reset buttons unresponsive, need to cut power to the PSU. It doesn't happen when playing intensive games, it does happen when just browsing the internet. I can play Cyberpunk 2077 for hours....
  3. Win 11 box freezes under low/no load, fine under high load

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 box freezes under low/no load, fine under high load: Hi,Having irritation with my Win 11 PC which is black-screening/hard locking power/reset buttons unresponsive, need to cut power to the PSU. It doesn't happen when playing intensive games, it does happen when just browsing the internet. I can play Cyberpunk 2077 for hours....
  4. PC Freezing and crashing under intensive load.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Freezing and crashing under intensive load.: After running various system tests and doing a total of 15 or more hours of researching the issue I am 99% certain it's my PSU. My main list of reasons, 1: when my pc freezes the fans begin spinning uncontrollably due to faulty power modulation 2: There are no event logs when...
  5. PC Freezing and crashing under intensive load.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Freezing and crashing under intensive load.: After running various system tests and doing a total of 15 or more hours of researching the issue I am 99% certain it's my PSU. My main list of reasons, 1: when my pc freezes the fans begin spinning uncontrollably due to faulty power modulation 2: There are no event logs when...
  6. PC Freezing and crashing under intensive load.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. My Laptop completely freezes under load

My Laptop completely freezes under load: So my Laptop has 2 GPUs,integrated Vega 3 and external Radeon 535. When I try to play games with the 535,everything runs smoothly for the first 10 minutes,then the fans go absolutely crazy and everything freezes. At that point I can only manually shut it down. I am 100% sure...
  8. Windows 10 Freezes Under Light Load

Windows 10 Freezes Under Light Load: This case looks a bit mysterious. My Windows freezes permanently/hard reboot in approximately 3-5 mins after starting up. To fix this issue I tried: 1. Run update and install major and secondary updates Result: Windows froze in the middle of installation, and later -...
  9. System Freezes While Under Load

System Freezes While Under Load: (This isn't a BSOD situation, but I can't find a forum section for system freezes) I have an i7-5820K overclocked to 4.2GHz as well as two GTX 980s in SLI. Occasionally while gaming, the system will lock up and will not respond until I shut down the computer either by...
  10. BSOD freezing and crashing under load

BSOD freezing and crashing under load: My computer has always crashed frequently since I built it a few months ago. I finally did a clean Windows 10 install to see if that would sort it out but it didn't. It appears random. It crashes during resource intensive games, not resource intensive games, browsing,...