Windows 10: Freezing when attempting to install drivers and bad image errors

Discus and support Freezing when attempting to install drivers and bad image errors in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there, this is a problem I have been trying to solve for months now, which all started around the time of the October 2019 update. Varying symptoms... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by cstone634, Mar 30, 2020.

1. cstone634 Win User

Freezing when attempting to install drivers and bad image errors

Hi there, this is a problem I have been trying to solve for months now, which all started around the time of the October 2019 update. Varying symptoms over time include freezing shortly after login rebooting fixed this until the machine was next powered off for a significant period; this issue is no longer present, freezing whilst installing driver software This has gotten better over time but still applies to AMD graphics drivers, and sometimes Logitech Gaming Software, although it mysteriously worked once and bad image errors once software is installed at the moment, with Steam, giving error code 0xc000012f and complaining about detoured.dll. I have found workarounds for most of these issues and could live with them if not for the last one, which reared its head again yesterday after I updated my AMD graphics drivers through device manager. Overnight I reinstalled Windows and the problem persists.

Possible leads on the cause:

The one thing that the complaining drivers have in common is the Qt framework, but I don't really understand what that is.

Around the time the problems began to arise, I replaced an old 1TB storage drive with a new 2TB one, cloning the data across. This drive has been formatted since, although not at the same time as the two Windows reinstalls that took place.

Perhaps there is some confusion amongst my OS/software as to whether my system is 32-bit or 64-bit. Hence it acquired the wrong version of detoured.dll. The one other person I found who has had problems with freezing during driver installs eventually diagnosed it as a memory-related error, but I have ran memtest86 for several passes to verify this is not the case for me. A 32-64-bit confusion in the OS would wreak havoc on the memory in similar ways though, I imagine. I have no idea how this would occur though, so it's probably a stupid suggestion.

Back when I used to occasionally get blue screens after the freezes, the OS would throw either a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION, or in the case of installing the chipset drivers, a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT.

Things I have ruled out:

The graphics card itself. I've tried with the integrated graphics and the same issue arose.

The memory. As mentioned, I ran memtest86 overnight, and I've also switched DIMM slots as the other user complained that a bad slot was the cause.

The OS installation; I've done one repaired install and one clean install although for the latter I used an installation media that was created on this same machine. I assume it's done using download and is independent of the machine's own system files?

General system stability; until yesterday my machine was perfectly capable of running any game for hours on end, except when I saw stuttering in Portal 2 and Halo: Master Chief Collection, which prompted the driver update. I've also run AIDA64 and various GPU stress tests/benchmarks. My hardware is regularly dusted and well looked after.

File corruption to the best of my ability. I've run DISM and SFC several times in the last few months, and have even tried manually replacing detoured.dll.

System hardware:

Intel Core i5 4690k

MSI Z97A Gaming 7 USB3.1 variant of the Z97 Gaming 7

MSI Radeon R9 390 Gaming 8G

Kingston HyperX Savage low-profile 2x8GB DDR3-1866MHz

Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB Boot

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM Storage

Corsair RM-750x power supply

:)

cstone634, Mar 30, 2020
  2. cstone634 Win User

Hi there, this is a problem I have been trying to solve for months now, which all started around the time of the October 2019 update. Varying symptoms over time include freezing shortly after login (rebooting fixed this until the machine was next powered
    off for a significant period; this issue is no longer present), freezing whilst installing driver software (This has gotten better over time but still applies to AMD graphics drivers, and sometimes Logitech Gaming Software, although it mysteriously worked
    once) and bad image errors once software is installed (at the moment, with Steam, giving error code 0xc000012f and complaining about detoured.dll). I have found workarounds for most of these issues and could live with them if not for the last one, which reared
    its head again yesterday after I updated my AMD graphics drivers through device manager. Overnight I reinstalled Windows and the problem persists.

Possible leads on the cause:

The one thing that the complaining drivers have in common is the Qt framework, but I don't really understand what that is.

Around the time the problems began to arise, I replaced an old 1TB storage drive with a new 2TB one, cloning the data across. This drive has been formatted since, although not at the same time as the two Windows reinstalls that took place.

Perhaps there is some confusion amongst my OS/software as to whether my system is 32-bit or 64-bit. Hence it acquired the wrong version of detoured.dll. The one other person I found who has had problems with freezing during driver installs eventually diagnosed
    it as a memory-related error, but I have ran memtest86 for several passes to verify this is not the case for me. A 32-64-bit confusion in the OS would wreak havoc on the memory in similar ways though, I imagine. I have no idea how this would occur though,
    so it's probably a stupid suggestion.

Back when I used to occasionally get blue screens after the freezes, the OS would throw either a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION, or in the case of installing the chipset drivers, a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT.

Things I have ruled out:

The graphics card itself. I've tried with the integrated graphics and the same issue arose.

The memory. As mentioned, I ran memtest86 overnight, and I've also switched DIMM slots as the other user complained that a bad slot was the cause.

The OS installation; I've done one repaired install and one clean install (although for the latter I used an installation media that was created on this same machine. I assume it's done using download and is independent of the machine's own system files?)

General system stability; until yesterday my machine was perfectly capable of running any game for hours on end, except when I saw stuttering in Portal 2 and Halo: Master Chief Collection, which prompted the driver update. I've also run AIDA64 and various
    GPU stress tests/benchmarks. My hardware is regularly dusted and well looked after.

File corruption (to the best of my ability). I've run DISM and SFC several times in the last few months, and have even tried manually replacing detoured.dll.

System hardware:

Intel Core i5 4690k

MSI Z97A Gaming 7 (USB3.1 variant of the Z97 Gaming 7)

MSI Radeon R9 390 Gaming 8G

Kingston HyperX Savage low-profile 2x8GB DDR3-1866MHz

Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB (Boot)

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM (Storage)

Corsair RM-750x power supply

cstone634, May 25, 2020
  3. David Haz Win User
    Error in bad image groove.exe

Hello,

A bad image error occurs if you attempt to open a specific program is caused if a component within the application may have been corrupted or damaged, or that a component within Windows have been damaged. For us to isolate the issue about a bad image error,
    kindly respond to the questions below:

• Have you made any significant changes to your device prior to the issue?
    • Does the error appear when opening a specific application? If not, when does the error appear?

We look forward to your response.

David Haz, May 25, 2020
  4. Rose Ter Win User

Windows Bad Image error

Hi Laura,

To better assist you regarding the “Windows bad Image error message” on your computer, please clarify the following:

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Since when are you experiencing the issue?
    • Is it still an ongoing issue on your computer?
    • Any recent changes made prior to the issue?

Regards.

Rose Ter, May 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Freezing when attempting to install drivers and bad image errors - Similar Threads - Freezing attempting install

2. Bad Image error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bad Image error: Every time I try to open CurseForge, I get the following error:VTableHolderWndProc: OverwolfHelper.exe - bad imageC:\WINDOWS\system32\nvspcap.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. try installing the program again using the original installation...
  3. Bad Image error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bad Image error: Every time I try to open CurseForge, I get the following error:VTableHolderWndProc: OverwolfHelper.exe - bad imageC:\WINDOWS\system32\nvspcap.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. try installing the program again using the original installation...
  4. Bad Image error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Error - Bad Image

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error - Bad Image: Hi everyone, I have an error popping up when I start my laptop windows 10 and at other random times. I attached a screenshot at the end. Is there any quick fix for it? Thanks for any answers! Best regards Yuri [ATTACH]...
  6. Bad image error

Bad image error: I have not been on my laptop for a little while and just ended up cutting it on and the bad image error popped up, i cant even log in, it says the error status is 0xc000012f. I have tried to look and see anyway i could fix it, and all the things ive looked at you have to be...
  7. Bad Image error

Bad Image error: This problem suddenly popped up a few days ago and I already tried troubleshooting it myself by re-installing the indicated file that was supposed to be corrupted but the problem was still there. I also tried using the command prompt by entering "sfc/scannow" which I thought...
  8. Bad image error

Bad image error: I cannot able to install games and some software. The error is Bad image, C:\Windows\system32\DWrite.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system...
  9. Bad image error

Bad image error: Hi, I installed Adobe Digital Editions the other day and every time I execute the program I get a "Bad image"-error for C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\amdihk32.dll I have googled and tried to find a solution for this, but without any success. It is only for Adobe Digital Editions I...
  10. Bad Image errors?

in Windows 10 Support
    Bad Image errors?: [img] Hi I updated my Mozy backup software 3 days ago & ever since then my ASUS laptop is unusable. Once it boots up, which takes more then an hour, every task I ask takes many minutes to over an hour to complete. I also get an error message "Bad Image"? The first bad...