Windows 10: Freezing when playing games

Discus and support Freezing when playing games in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there, in the last few days when playing games (BFBC2, BF3 and Sticky Bomb), my computer has been freezing at various points (sometimes within a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by brokenspirit, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Freezing when playing games

Hi there, in the last few days when playing games (BFBC2, BF3 and Sticky Bomb), my computer has been freezing at various points (sometimes within a minute, sometimes after 2 hours), and on reboot i get BSOD sometimes with different error messages such as "system_services_exception". After the initial reboot BSOD i seem to sometimes get a 2nd BSOD such as "system_thread_unhandled_exception", "IRQOL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and other error messgaes. Occasionally after rebooting I get a freeze just on desktop screen, which never happens unless I have just had a freeze in game.

Before this started happening I have installed a new sound card and installed new drivers for my graphics card. I have since tried taking out the sound card (same problem seen) and also rolling back to the previous nvidia drivers with no avail.

I tried running memtest, but after 2 hours it was only over 50% so gave up for now, but at that point it hadn't seen any errors.

My rig is:

Asus M5A97 R2.0
    16 GB Corsair Vengence
    MSI GTX 970
    AMD FX-8350 4.2GHz
    Asus Xonar DGX
    Corsair 750Watt PSU
    win 10 64 bit

Can anyone help? More than happy to provide any sorts of file dumps if someone tells me what to do

Thanks

:)

brokenspirit, Oct 17, 2015

2. Need help with Gaming Pc freezing alot

My pc will freeze on any game and it will sometimes freeze even when not playing a game like when i watch a video or movie

DanielDinger, Oct 17, 2015
  3. msrody Win User
    Online games freezes in Windows 10

Original title: I am having major lagging, freezing when I play online games in windows 10

I am having major lagging, freezing when I play online games in windows 10 HELP

msrody, Oct 17, 2015
  4. axe0 New Member

Freezing when playing games

5. brokenspirit, Oct 17, 2015
  6. axe0 New Member
    Hi brokenspirit,

I am very sorry for the delay.
    I need some sleep to get a fresh pair of eyes so I can take a look at the logs properly.
    You are the first one I'll help tomorrow, if someone else hasn't already.

7. Thank you so much. I wont have access to my computer until evening but of there are any other questions i may be able to answer during the day. Again many thanks!

brokenspirit, Oct 19, 2015
  8. axe0 New Member

Please remove MSI software, some are known for causing BSOD's.

Please check {windows partition}\windows\minidump and check if there are any dump files saved.
    The zip is empty of dump files.
    Please make sure your pc is configured for small dump files How to configure minidump | Windows 10 tutorial

9. You were correct, it was empty as the pc was configured for automatic dump files. I have now changed.

I have deleted all MSI software, and now the behaviour has changed slightly.

I had 2 game freezes, which didn't show a BSOD on reboot. Noticed event viewer had an error related to a service schedule from the deleted MSI afterburner software. So I deleted the startup service.

Games now crashing straight to BSOD without freezing.

Have attached the new dump files

Attachment 43709

10. axe0 New Member
    Before I forget it, please remove the ASUS software too, it uses outdated drivers and it also has some chance of causing BSOD's.

A network driver has been flagged.
    Check Realtek for driver updates.
    Code: 6: kd> lmvm rt640x64 start end module name fffff800`22670000 fffff800`22749000 rt640x64 T (no symbols) Loaded symbol image file: rt640x64.sys Image path: rt640x64.sys Image name: rt640x64.sys Timestamp: Tue May 05 18:21:03 2015 (5548EDEF) CheckSum: 000E5E61 ImageSize: 000D9000 Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4[/quote] Because in 1 dump there is some activity that might point to a faulty/failing hard drive, please test your hard drives.
    With SSD, only run chkdsk!

Freezing when playing games [​IMG]
    Diagnostics Test
    HDD & SSD TEST

Run SeaTools to check the integrity of your HDD. SeaTools for DOS and Windows - How to Use - Windows 7 Help Forums

Note Do not run SeaTools on an SSD as the results will be invalid.

Run chkdsk Disk Check - Windows 7 Help Forums

Old drivers
    Code: ndisrd ndisrd.sys Thu Feb 21 03:40:15 2013 (5125890F) // WinpkFilter driver mbam mbam.sys Wed Sep 03 19:50:25 2014 (540754E1) // Malwarebytes avkmgr avkmgr.sys Mon Sep 16 13:14:23 2013 (5236E80F) // Avira ASUSfilter ASUSfilter.sys Thu Mar 28 18:35:09 2013 (51547F4D) // ASUS USB driver asmtxhci asmtxhci.sys Fri Aug 16 21:28:42 2013 (520E7D6A) // ASMedia USB driver asmthub3 asmthub3.sys Fri Aug 16 21:28:54 2013 (520E7D76) // ASMedia USB driver[/quote] Check WinpkFilter for driver updates,
    Update Malwarebytes and Avira,
    Check ASUS and ASMedia for driver updates for the USB drivers

11. Hi, I've done what I can but have some questions/problems noted in ​bold.

ASUS software uninstalled.

RealTek network drivers updated.

Seatools run on HDD:
    • SMART - Pass
    • Short DST - Pass
    • Short Generic - Pass
    • Long Generic - Not run - can you please advise if I need to run this one? It's says it will take over 5 hours so will only run it if needed.

chkdsk:
    • HDD - No errors found
    • SSD - No errors found - although I was expecting a prompt to reboot for it to run but it didn't. Is this a new Win10 feature?

WinpkFilter - no idea what this is. Downloaded the toolkit from the page you linked. Installed only the drivers. Should I have installed the rest of the toolkit?

Malwarebytes updated.

Antivir says no update available? Checked product version - 15.0.13.210 (date 05/10/2015). Could this be left over from the free Avira pro trial? If so I am now using avira free so should I delete the file? Where do I delete it from?

ASUS USB drivers - Not sure where to get these. Asus website doesn't seem to have usb or chipset drivers for my board. I have the latest BIOS. This is the support download page for my board http://support.asus.com/download.asp...ZFxu0IYyQ1DSfB

ASMedia USB drivers - that link doesn't seem to have any downloadable drivers, also I can't find anywhere (not even the manual) which states which device or host controllers I have. Can you offer any help?

12. axe0 New Member
    Long generic is necessary to determine if your hard drive is fine if the short generic passed.

No, it means your SSD wasn't used.

Don't know it either.

Can't say, but never delete a driver without proper instructions, in this case DO NOT delete the drivers.

Unfortunately, if you cannot find more up to date drivers, I think I can't either.

13. Freezing when playing games

I was assuming as the OS is on the SSD that would constitute "being used".

Managed to update the ASMedia drivers through the device manager.

Thought I'd try the system with the changes but again crashed during games. Think it was a different 1st error message though (new dump attached).

Will leave Seatools running overnight for the long generic test

ThanksAttachment 43743

14. axe0 New Member
    I cannot add more to what to do.
    NTFS activity = file system.

15. ok no problem thanks for all of your help anyways. Is there anyone else who might be able to help or is all hope lost now?

Thema:

1. Freezing when playing games - Similar Threads - Freezing playing games

2. Freezing Windows when playing games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Freezing Windows when playing games: my windows 11 keeps freezing constantly when playing games. I updated all graphic drivers, updated windows, checked discs for errors and even reinstalled windows. nothing seems to help. Strangely, the game i play is AoE2 definitive edition at medium/high settings through...
  3. Freezing Windows when playing games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Freezing Windows when playing games: my windows 11 keeps freezing constantly when playing games. I updated all graphic drivers, updated windows, checked discs for errors and even reinstalled windows. nothing seems to help. Strangely, the game i play is AoE2 definitive edition at medium/high settings through...
  4. Constant Freezing when Playing Games.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Constant Freezing when Playing Games.: Everytime I play a game, it freezes constantly and ruins the whole gameplay. I don't know what to do about this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/constant-freezing-when-playing-games/47f74eaf-a30a-4c3f-a907-ef6ad0630dc0
  5. Constant Freezing when Playing Games.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Constant Freezing when Playing Games.: Everytime I play a game, it freezes constantly and ruins the whole gameplay. I don't know what to do about this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/constant-freezing-when-playing-games/47f74eaf-a30a-4c3f-a907-ef6ad0630dc0
  6. computer freezes when playing games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    computer freezes when playing games: i asked a question about two weeks ago and never got back a reply after the initial message, it said 1 G o over this checklist to make sure the install is set up correctly, optimized for best performance, and any needed repairs get done:...
  7. pc freezing when playing games

pc freezing when playing games: hi i will need your help on what to do,whenever i play games like watch dogs2, gta 5 and sleeping dogs on my pc it keeps freezing and cracking. ive tried everything i could but the problem persit.what do i do?...
  8. Freeze then crash when playing games...

Freeze then crash when playing games...: Hi! I've just built myself a new pc, but everytime i game, the game freezes then crashes (for the most part to desktop without an error, but sometimes also dxgi-error and again with bsod). Anthem - BF V - Metro Exodus - Total War Three Kingdoms Most recently it just shut...
  9. Freezing the system when playing games

Freezing the system when playing games: Hello dear experts first of all, I am sorry that my English is not good. I have a desktop PC model ASUS ROG G20BM with the following specifications: OS: Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit CPU: AMD FX-770K (Quad Core 3.50 GHz) VGA: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (The point...
  10. Computer Freezes when playing games and when not playing games

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Freezes when playing games and when not playing games: I've been having this issue for nearly a year now (probably around 9 months). It started after my little sister made me get a virus by her trying to download something onto my laptop. I've since taken it to a reputable computer shop as well as followed instructions from other...