Windows 10: Frequent black screens when waking notebook Dell XPS15 from sleep

Discus and support Frequent black screens when waking notebook Dell XPS15 from sleep in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; About once every couple of days, when I wake my XPS15 from sleep, the display stays black. I hear the fan, the keyboard backlight turns on, and I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by cbae, May 1, 2021.

1. cbae Win User

Frequent black screens when waking notebook Dell XPS15 from sleep

About once every couple of days, when I wake my XPS15 from sleep, the display stays black. I hear the fan, the keyboard backlight turns on, and I can see the display backlight too even though the display is registering no image. IOW, the computer is awake but no image is going to the display.Whenever this happens, I need to long press the power button to force a cold boot. I checked the Event Viewer, and I always see a EventId 6008 that gets logged about an expected shutdown that happened well before I attempted to wake the computer. NOTE: This is in ADDITION to the EventId 41 that gets logge

:)

cbae, May 1, 2021

2. Screens black after waking machine from sleep

Hi Anthony,

Does it only happen when waking up the computer from sleep?

To check for possible causes of this issue, we suggest you to run Power Troubleshooter. To do so, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key.
    • Type Troubleshooting.
    • On the left side, click View all.
    • Click Power.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.
    If the issue still persists, you may update the Chipset driver from the device manufacturer.

Let us know how it goes.

Jesebel Ova, May 1, 2021
  3. Notebook won't wake from sleep

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I see that the ASUS 56C notebook won’t wake after sleep mode. This might be due to the corruption of Power management.

I suggest you to try running the Power Troubleshooter to check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1: Run the Power troubleshooter on the system.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Power troubleshooter
    Further you can try creating a new power plan according to your preference. Refer the link below for more details on Power Plans.

Power Plans: frequently asked questions

Windows help & learning - Microsoft Support

(Steps in the article, applies to Windows 10).

Method 2:

I suggest you to update the display drivers on your computer and check if it helps. Refer the below steps to update the driver.

Press “Windows + X” and select Device manager.

Select Display Adapter and expand the driver icon.

Right click on the driver icon and click on
    Update.

Follow the onscreen instructions to update the driver.

Restart the computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Also refer the below link for the same

||ASUS Global

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, May 1, 2021
  4. striper Win User

Dell Inspiron 3147 won't wake from sleep mode

I bought a second hand Dell Inspiron 3147. It's running the A12 BIOS. I can't for the life of me get it to wake from sleep.

I tried researching this issue but nothing seems to work. I have a fresh Windows 10 Home install. I went to the Dell website and downloaded all the suggested drivers. I looked for power management settings under keyboard but it is missing on my machine. It's also missing in the mouse options. I ran the follow command in an elevated command prompt: powercfg -devicequery wake_from_any. Doesn't show the keyboard or mouse as being able to wake the machine. The touchscreen was listed but that doesn't work. The power button is listed but it doesn't wake the machine either. I set all of the HID devices to be able to wake the laptop, no go.

In power options, I tried setting the machine to shutdown once the lid is closed but it just goes black. I tried setting it to do nothing but my touchpad driver crashes after the screen turns back on. I have to reboot using the keyboard every time....

Also, suspend mode doesn't work in linux which leads me to believe it's an issue with the BIOS. Should I try reverting to another BIOS?

I should mention that I did have to take this computer apart to install a new DC jack. I had to remove the main board in order to get to the DC jack. Any chance a loose connection could cause this issue?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

striper, May 1, 2021
Thema:

1. Frequent black screens when waking notebook Dell XPS15 from sleep - Similar Threads - Frequent black screens

2. How to wake up computer from sleep/black screen.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to wake up computer from sleep/black screen.: I’m not new to computers, but I’m having difficulty understanding what’s actually wrong with mine. The settings indicate I should be able to wake up my laptop from sleep by either the mouse or keyboard. Yet nothing works unless I hold down the power button. Which isn’t ideal...
  3. New Dell xps15 laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Dell xps15 laptop: Since updating my 2021 Dell XPS15 laptop to Windows 11 the webcam can't take a new hello login photo of my face. Please - all out there, help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-dell-xps15-laptop/6a6d313e-532b-4cd6-926d-7bd40c10f152
  4. dell xps15 9530. Black screen after windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dell xps15 9530. Black screen after windows update: received windows update after the update my screen on my dell xps 15 9530 went black all else works have tried everything now I wonder can I go back to my 8.1 an will that turn my screen on an then update to windows 10. Will this clear up the black screen im at a loss an...
  5. Black screen when waking from sleep, automatically restarts

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black screen when waking from sleep, automatically restarts: I sometimes get a black screen when waking my desktop PC from sleep, which then automatically restarts after 10-30 seconds. It will then perform normally like I just freshly booted up my PC. This is not consistent at all as sometimes I can go for a week or even a month with...
  6. black screen with blinking mouse pointer when waking from sleep

black screen with blinking mouse pointer when waking from sleep: hi, i suddenly getting one issue with the windows latest version 18362.418. when my laptop goes to sleep after the screen timeout runs and i wake it up by tapping on the trackpad, the screen shows black screen with with blinking mouse pointer and only solution to fix that i...
  7. Black Screen when waking from hybrid sleep Windows 1903

Black Screen when waking from hybrid sleep Windows 1903: After updating to Windows 1903 i cannot use hybrid sleep. wakes will either be normal or result in a black screen and a forced restart 1 black screen out of 4 successful wakes. The computer will continue to run until i force it off. I reinstalled nvidia drivers 430.86. This...
  8. Laptop randomly wakes from sleep - DELL

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop randomly wakes from sleep - DELL: I've had this Dell Inspiron i5577 for quite a while, and now, it's been waking up randomly at night. This morning I woke up to my computer on, well, sort of. It was on, the fans were loud, but the screen wasn't on. My RGB external keyboard was on too, but my mouse wasn't. I'm...
  9. Frequent BSOD When Waking From Sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Frequent BSOD When Waking From Sleep: So this one's been puzzling me for a while. I'm getting very frequent BSOD, and it most commonly occurs when waking the computer up from sleep in the morning. The error code is frequently different, and sometimes I don't get a crash but just get weird behavior. Like chrome...
  10. PC Goes Black When Waking from Sleep - Help!

in Windows 10 Support
    PC Goes Black When Waking from Sleep - Help!: When my PC wakes up from sleep the monitor goes black. And most times when this happens the only thing visible is the last program I used. All other programs I cant access. Everything else is dark. How do I fix this? 68611