Windows 10: Frequent BSOD starting/waking computer

Discus and support Frequent BSOD starting/waking computer in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, A few months ago my PC started having random BSOD issues when starting and waking from sleep mode but it was only about 1 every few weeks.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Ihrke015, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Ihrke015 Win User

Frequent BSOD starting/waking computer

Hello,

A few months ago my PC started having random BSOD issues when starting and waking from sleep mode but it was only about 1 every few weeks. The issue became more and more frequent however until a couple of weeks ago when it started having BSOD issues almost everytime I tried to start it. Once I got it going (without a BSOD) it would run great though. I also got to the point where I wouldnt bother putting the PC to sleep because I would have to just shut it down when anyway and restart it after the BSOD from sleep mode. The error codes I have been receiving from each crash seem to vary although some show up more often than others. The PC doesnt always reboot itself either. Sometimes it will just sit at the BSOD screen until I manually shut it down. On some more rare occasions when I boot up the PC it will just be black and wont even get to the Windows screen.

I have been trying every diagnostic I can think of (and google) and coming up short on solutions. Here is a list of what I have tried (in the order I tried them) and what I found:

Update drivers: This seems to be the most suggested solution and easiest (maybe...?) so I tried this first. I went through manually doing windows "update driver software" and didnt find many that needed updating so I tried out Driver Easy which pointed out drivers that needed updating and how to manually update them (didnt pay for the full program since I wasnt sure it was my drivers). I had about 8 drivers that this program said were out of date but after updating all of them it still crashes.

ReImage: I found this program and figured I would give it a try. Not sure if it is legit but it found some issues and a few reviews seemed supportive so I bought it and scanned my system. It claims it solved some issues but it did not solve my BSOD issues.

Eliminate Unnecessary Software: I tried this just to be certain that software I had recently added wasnt causing the crashes.

Memtest86, Windows Memory Diagnostic and CHKDSK: I originally tried just the windows built in tests (with no issues found) hoping not to have to spent money on other programs plus I wasnt sure what programs were legit but I then tried Memtest86. I let this run completely through and every test passed. I am planning to run it again tonight when I go to bed just to see. As a side note, I do have another stick of memory coming tomorrow that I will test in this ones place. I was originally going to get this new stick (identical to the current one) to upgrade to 16GB but I ordered it earlier than planned just for testing purposes.

Windows Driver Verifier: I have never used this and when I tried to load it up I selected all drivers (including Microsoft ones) and it completely locked up my system. The result of this was a fresh install of windows which felt great at the time but didnt solve my issues.

Reinstall Windows: I did this twice, once saving my personal files (before running driver verifier and locking it up) and the second time completely wiping the hard drive and only installing a few programs onto the new OS. Both time, the PC would run very smoothly for a few days and then the BSOD issues would start happening again. As before, they became more frequent with everyday.

Furmark and Heaven Benchmark: I wanted to test my GPU and these were solutions I found. I am completely new to these but running them on the highest settings my R7 360 seemed to work just fine.

Swap Memory into second slot: I wanted to verify that it wasnt the memory slot (or how it was seated) causing the issue so I swapped it into the second slot and it still crashed.

Reinstall windows onto a new drive: I have an older HDD from a different computer so I wiped the drive and reinstalled windows on it and like before, it ran smoothly for a day or so and then the crashes started. I am now back on my original drive, although it still has a very fresh install of windows with barely any programs installed on it.

I believe that is all of my diagnostics up to this point. The manufacturer of my PC has offered to diagnose and fix the issues for me but I would have to send it back to them (pay for shipping and wait 3 weeks or more to get it back) and I would prefer to know what was wrong and how to diagnose my machine, but I do have that in my back pocket if it comes down to that. I did use the tool suggested here for the dump files but I have no clue how to read them so maybe someone here can shed some light! The attached zip folder was taken this morning, although there have been 2 crashes since then..

Any help is greatly appreciated!

:)

Ihrke015, Mar 24, 2017
  2. Dan.T Win User

Frequent BSOD: Kernal Security Check Failure upon wake from sleep. Verifier DMP Files included

OneDrive Link:

BSOD.zip

I keep getting frequent BSODs for IRQL Not Less or Equal and also for Kernel Security Check Failure. The dmp files from the driver verifier are in the one drive link along with the data from msinfo32 and system specs from Speccy.

All drivers are up to date as best as I can tell. I turned off all non-Microsoft services in msconfig and that stopped all the IRQL BSODs for a week or two, then they started again. The crashes almost always happen upon waking the computer up from sleep mode.

Dan.T, Mar 24, 2017
  3. KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED(RTKVDHA.sys)

my computer frequently started to have a new BSOD. KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED(RTKVDHA.sys). can you help me solve this problem?

Bhaswata Choudhury, Mar 24, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Latest BSOD shows:
    Code: BugCheck 3B, {c000001d, fffff80a8cdbec18, ffffe40073649200, 0} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys Probably caused by : atikmdag.sys ( atikmdag+eeec18 )[/quote]

Please reinstall the graphics driver. The best way to do this is to uninstall everything of AMD using Display Driver Uninstaller and install new drivers from your Graphics card manufacturer or from the AMD website. Just install the driver and not the control centre.

philc43, Mar 27, 2017
  5. Ihrke015 Win User
    I appreciate you looking in to this. After installing my new stick of memory it seems to have potentially solved the issue. I am not real familiar with memtest86 but I did run it again Friday night (a day before receiving the new stick of memory) and it found 56 errors! I ran it again Sat morning (before the stick was delivered) and it found no errors again. Each time I ran the program I let it go completely through to the end. I am hesitant to mark this as solved but with the new stick plugged in I have had no crashes yet (as opposed to several per day). I will mark this thread as solved in a few days if there are indeed no crashes between now and then.

Ihrke015, Mar 27, 2017
  6. philc43 Win User
    If memtest86 found errors then indeed your stick is faulty. Sometimes it can take as many as 10 passes before it triggers the errors but you can be sure if you see them the RAM is faulty. One pass is rarely sufficient so you were fortunate to get the errors so soon.

philc43, Mar 27, 2017
  7. Ihrke015 Win User
    Not sure if I was using a different version of Memtest or if the Memory type matters but I was only able to do 4 passes total on each run. After the 4 passes it would stop and give me the results.

Ihrke015, Mar 27, 2017
  8. philc43 Win User

Use memtest86+MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

MemTest86+ needs to be run for at least 8 complete passes for conclusive results. Set it running before you go to bed and leave it overnight. We're looking for zero errors here. Even a single error will indicate RAM failure.[/note]

philc43, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Frequent BSOD starting/waking computer - Similar Threads - Frequent BSOD starting

2. Frequent BSOD on new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Frequent BSOD on new computer: Hello,My laptop of about 2 months has been having a lot of BSOD occurring. The screen would first freeze, and then the sound would suddenly stutter and loop on the same frameis that the right way to describe it, then proceed to a BSOD WITH A CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error. The...
  3. Frequent BSOD on new computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Frequent BSOD on new computer: Hello,My laptop of about 2 months has been having a lot of BSOD occurring. The screen would first freeze, and then the sound would suddenly stutter and loop on the same frameis that the right way to describe it, then proceed to a BSOD WITH A CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error. The...
  4. The computer is getting rebooted frequently BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The computer is getting rebooted frequently BSOD: The computer is getting rebooted frequentlyEvent Error: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000c2 0x0000000000000046, 0xffffd98b00000000, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000. I am using HP Notebook - 14s-cf0115tuProcessor IntelR CoreTM...
  5. COMPUTER HAVING FREQUENT BSOD'S

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    COMPUTER HAVING FREQUENT BSOD'S: i am having frequent bsods on my windows 10 21H1 hp laptop and tried driver verifier and it generated these dump files.i am attaching the latest five dump filestwo of the old ones arent with the driver verifier.dump_files .i have added all the drivers with standard setting...
  6. Computer BSOD Frequently

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer BSOD Frequently: Hello, So my computer is BSOD quite frequently and the games i play sometimes freeze and crash. The Temps are around 73 Celcius when the crashed occur. I Have Had this pc for 3 years and these only started 1 month ago. It is a custom built pc The BSOD errors i get are:...
  7. Frequent computer freezing leading to BSOD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Frequent computer freezing leading to BSOD: My computer will just completely freeze multiple times a day. It’s a new Lenovo ideapad flex 5 so u have no idea why this happens so much. I will just be trying to move the mouse and the cursor is suddenly stuck, and my computer can’t do anything. If I let it stay this way...
  8. BSODs happen frequently when the computer starts

BSODs happen frequently when the computer starts: Hello, BSODs happen frequently when the computer starts. It would be great if someone can find the cause for me. Minidump: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkZsUB9YDwOIgmZNypzRJSz4qs5V?e=ZbRAxl NFO: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkZsUB9YDwOIgmfXQZW5bmkEm3f6 Thank you....
  9. BSOD on computer wake.

BSOD on computer wake.: I have been having this issue for a long while now(3 weeks -ish), and in attempts to fix it, I probably made it worse. I downloaded an "update all drivers" software and broke my computer very badly. In continuing attempts I simply reinstalled windows and the "worse" part is...
  10. Frequent BSOD When Waking From Sleep

Frequent BSOD When Waking From Sleep: So this one's been puzzling me for a while. I'm getting very frequent BSOD, and it most commonly occurs when waking the computer up from sleep in the morning. The error code is frequently different, and sometimes I don't get a crash but just get weird behavior. Like chrome...