Windows 10: Frequent & random BSOD ahcix64s.sys & ntoskrnl.exe

Discus and support Frequent & random BSOD ahcix64s.sys & ntoskrnl.exe in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I retired several years ago from 20+ years as a computer tech for a large non-profit in midwest USA. Reading error logs is not one of my strong points.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by PCGuy53, Apr 30, 2017.

1. PCGuy53 Win User

Frequent & random BSOD ahcix64s.sys & ntoskrnl.exe

I retired several years ago from 20+ years as a computer tech for a large non-profit in midwest USA. Reading error logs is not one of my strong points. I am having repeated BSODs on my own computer for quite a while that I have not been able to resolve.

My DM Log Collector file is attached.

Sometimes it will run for extended periods of time without problems, while other times, it will blue screen on me soon after booting. I have had problems with the system hanging for 30 seconds or more, but that is probably something for another post.

Here are some of the things I have tried. There may be other things I have done, but did not document.
    1. The 9 Gig memory is the original factory memory that HP installed. I ran Memtest 86+ for a day or two with no errors.
    2. I have 2 WDC WD2001FASS-00W2B0 hard drives in a RAID 1 configuration. Western Digital Data Lifeguard & other drive tests have showed no errors.
    3. Some of the things I have tried recently with no permanent success: Unselected AMD RAIDXpert Service in msconfig.
    Uninstalled storage controller driver for AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller. ( That caused an Inaccessible boot device error for a few boots, but got that fixed.
    Let Windows reinstall the RAID controller driver.
    Tried several versions of the driver that Windows listed when trying to manually select the driver.
    Downloaded RAIDXpert v3.2.1540 from AMD & installed. Device Manager now shows AMD AHCI Compatible Controller v 3.7.150.43 (12-11-2012).

None of these things have fixed the random BSOD problems. I am hesitating in "nuking & repaving" my PC, because I have some programs that I have installed (legally) from Giveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily that I would not be able to reinstall.

Thanks for your help,
    Ken

:)

PCGuy53, Apr 30, 2017
  2. ShadowXC Win User

0x139 Bug check BSOD happening a lot.

i only know from bluescreenview that the bsods were caused by ntoskrnl.exe and sometimes random drivers.

heres the link to the skydrive containing the 32 minidumps: OneDrive

ShadowXC, Apr 30, 2017
  3. Help analyze frequent BSOD, please

Experiencing frequent BSODs (Memory_Management mostly). Fixed one culprit (Intel SmartConnect driver) but can't find what else is causing NTOSKRNL.EXE to crash.

Per your instructs, an archive of the Minidump, sys specs, etc follows.

BSOD.zip

Thanks!

(desperate)

Will Gaffga, Apr 30, 2017
  4. Ztruker Win User

Several of the dumps point to snapman.sys.
    Code: BugCheck 1E, {ffffffffc0000046, fffff8021bc0ed48, 1, 2} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for snapman.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for snapman.sys Probably caused by : snapman.sys ( snapman+1cf09 )[/quote] Driver Description: Acronis True Image Snapshot Manager driver also included in Seagate DiscWizardDriver Update Site: Support: Service client et support
    Download: Service client et support

The one you have is very old: Timestamp: Fri Jul 13 06:03:12 2007

Uninstall Snapshot manager. If you still need it, get the latest version available. There are probably free alternatives available.

YOu could probably replace it with Macrium Reflect Free or Pro (Pro is what I use, gave up on Acronis many years ago).

Ztruker, Apr 30, 2017
  5. PCGuy53 Win User
    Thanks for the info. After I made my post, I decided to review Tenforum's WinDBG tutorials. I had a v8.1 of WinDBG, so I uninstalled it and installed the Windows 10 version. I saw the references to snapman.sys in my dmp file. I forgot that I had Acronis True Image Home installed, and don't use it. I will uninstall it and see if that helps.

I saw this link about Acronis 'leftovers' when uninstalling. Do you think I should worry about that, or just wait & see what happens? Beware of Acronis Issues | Wilders Security Forums

Depending on how much I use the computer this week, it may be a while before I find out if the BSOD problems are resolved.

Thanks,
    Ken

PCGuy53, Apr 30, 2017
  6. Ztruker Win User
    I use Revo Uninstaller (I have the Pro version) just because of issues like these left over files. You could try the portable version. It doesn't have to be installed, you can just run it.

In all likelihood, the left over files would not cause you any problem.

Ztruker, Apr 30, 2017
  7. PCGuy53 Win User
    I uninstalled Acronis True Image Home 11 with Revo Uninstaller portable and the most agressive settings, & rebooted. There is still a snapman.sys file in the System32\drivers folder that is dated 7/18/2010.

The system hasn't crashed since this morning, and I hadn't made any changes until this evening. Go figure.*chuckle

Do you see anything else in the dmp files of concern. Many of the errors seem to reference the ahcix64s.sys file. Is it causing problems, or is it just the unlucky file that gets blamed for the error?

Ken

PCGuy53, May 1, 2017
  8. PCGuy53 Win User

I ran System Explorer & NirSoft DriverView. It showed 3 Acronis drivers still loading.

tdrpman.sys Acronis Try&Decide and Restore Points Volume Filter Driver, Acronis Acronis Try&Decide and Restore Points C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\tdrpman.sys

tifsfilt.sys Installable Driver Acronis True Image File System Filter Acronis Acronis True Image C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\tifsfilt.sys

timntr.sys Installable Driver Acronis True Image Backup Archive Explorer Acronis Acronis True Image C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\timntr.sys

I ran 2 Acronis cleanup tools. Twice, rebooting after running each once.
    Acronis Backup & Recovery 11 Cleanup Utility | Knowledge Base
    Acronis True Image: Cleanup Utility | Knowledge Base

Running the cleanup utilities reduced the leftover registry keys with 'acronis' in them from over 1000 to less than 100. I'll probably leave them alone.

After that, there was only 1 Acronis file left running, tifsfilt.sys. I used Sysinternals Autoruns to unselect the driver.

I will run the system for a while to see if I get any more crashes.

PCGuy53, May 1, 2017
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Great work, more complicated than it should be but sounds like you got them.

Ztruker, May 2, 2017
  10. PCGuy53 Win User
    Well, I thought my BSODs were gone, but I just had another one, after restarting the system. I have attached a new log file. I might not be able to respond tonight. We are going to to see Garth Brooks in Kansas City.

PCGuy53, May 6, 2017
  11. Ztruker Win User
    The new dump indicates a problem with the AMD raid controller.
    Code: BugCheck D1, {ffffd57e6e274000, 7, 1, fffff8076dba390c} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ahcix64s.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ahcix64s.sys Probably caused by : ahcix64s.sys ( ahcix64s+3390c )[/quote] Driver Description: AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller
    Driver Update Site: http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pa...ords=&items=20

Are you using a RAID setup? If not, uninstall the AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller

I also see a problem with Avast anti-virus
    Code: ffffc581`1f3c5cc8 fffff807`6e1674a4Unable to load image aswSP.sys, Win32 error 0n2 *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for aswSP.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for aswSP.sys aswSP+0x174a4[/quote] Driver Description: avast! Self Protection Driver

Uninstall Avast anti-virus.
    Make sure Windows Defender and Windows Firewall are enabled.
    Run that way for awhile to test, see if that resolves the problem.

Ztruker, May 7, 2017
  12. PCGuy53 Win User
    My computer is still crashing with the same ahcix64s.sys error. In response to your last post, I am still using RAIDed drives.

Avast was uninstalled with Revo Uninstaller Portable.

I didn't have any luck finding newer drivers from AMD.

The strange thing is, the drivers.txt file from the DM log collector shows a date for ahcix64s.sys of 4/4/2008 2:56:04 AM, while the ahcix64s.sys file properties and the msinfo32.nfo file show a date of ‎August ‎17, ‎2012, ‏‎8:42:36 AM.

I found another copy of the ahcix64s.sys file in one of the C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ folders (Same file properties as the original). After using a bootable flash drive, I renamed the original, then copied the FileRepository version into the drivers folder. I still get crashes.

The system has NEVER crashed while in Safe Mode with Networking (That is how I am sending this post.) The latest log collector file was collected while in Safe Mode with Networking. NirSoft DriverView shows that ahcix64s.sys is currently loaded while in Safe Mode.

A new log file is attached. Thanks for all of your help,
    Ken

PCGuy53, May 15, 2017
  13. Ztruker Win User

Yup, all the latest du8mps are the same ahcix64s.sys error.
    Code: BugCheck D1, {ffffc2fe50274000, 7, 1, fffff80d373a390c} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ahcix64s.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ahcix64s.sys[/quote] Mixed memory can sometimes cause weird problems like this. As a test, remove the 1GB DIMM and make sure the two remaining are in the blue sockets per this note from the Users Manual:
    Code: NOTE: Install the memory modules into the blue sockets first, starting with the largest capacity module placed in the socket closest to the processor on the motherboard.[/quote] Are you overclocking your system at all? If yes, reset everything to default and test.

Other than that all I can suggest is to remove the current SATA controller drivers and use the Microsoft default. See this post for how: iaStorA.sys causing BSOD - Windows 10 Forums

Ztruker, May 16, 2017
  14. PCGuy53 Win User
    I forgot to mention that the system is not overclocked.

I checked the memory, and of course, HP didn't put the two 4 gig ram sticks in the blue slots. In order to swap the ram and remove the 1 gig stick, I had to remove my video adapter.

I must have bumped one of the drive SATA cables, because when I tried to restart, BIOS said the RAID array was critical, and had lost one of the drives. I reseated the cables and did a quick BIOS check on both drives & they were ok.
    The RAID array was still critical, but from my limited past experience, I knew that the rebuild would need to be done in Windows.
    A
    I then got an unumountable boot volume error. When trying to get to Windows repair multiple times, the USB keyboard & mouse were not detected. Tried different keyboard & ports, along with a USB Windows repair drive. No luck. I was able to boot to a third party USB drive ok. This showed 2 single drives instead of 1 RAID array.

After much weeping, wailing, and knashing of teeth, I got the system booted. Because I had tried several versions of AMD RAIDXpert, it took a while to get back to the RAIDXpert web interface. I am currently rebuilding the RAID array. It's at 5% after 5 hours, so this is going to take a while.

Hopefully the system won't crash during the rebuild.

If I decide to get rid of the AMD RAID controller software, will there be a way with the Microsoft drivers to rebuild the RAID array if needed?

Ken

PCGuy53, May 17, 2017
  15. Ztruker Win User
    I know nothing about RAID. Never used it and don't see any reason to do so now, sorry.

Curious, why are you using RAID? What advantages does it give you?

Ztruker, May 17, 2017
Thema:

1. Frequent & random BSOD ahcix64s.sys & ntoskrnl.exe - Similar Threads - Frequent random BSOD

2. BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe: KUKutter_UKFirstly, I would like to say that I am posting this again because after having an instant reply from an 'Andrew', and posting my dmp files as requested on July 24th I haven't heard anything back since! I have responded a couple of times but nothing is happening to...
  3. BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe

BSOD Minidump shows page_faul ntoskrnl..exe: Hi there, My new machine around 8 months old now runs perfectly most of the time. Uptime 3 - 6 weeks at a time. NO issues at all - I am a heavy PC user: Gaming, Audio Work and some 3D modelling, so my machine goes through its paces.Every now and then on boot, I get the error...
  4. Random BSOD ntoskrnl, ntkrnlmp executables

Random BSOD ntoskrnl, ntkrnlmp executables: I have a Lenovo laptop with the following specs: Intel Core i7-8550U 4C / 8T, 1.8 / 4.0GHz, 8MB Integrated Intel UHD Graphics 620 Intel SoC Platform 16GB Soldered DDR4-2400 512GB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 13.9" UHD 3840x2160 IPS 300nits Glossy I started getting random...
  5. BSOD ntoskrnl..exe

BSOD ntoskrnl..exe: My computer has crashed a few times often when i play games. I bought more ram because i thought that it was the issue but it didn't help. It did work a few days but then the crashes came back. After that i fixed the BSOD´s by lowering the graphics and the resolution on the...
  6. BSOD ntoskrnl..exe+1b35e0

BSOD ntoskrnl..exe+1b35e0: Help. Getting 4-5 of these a day. Running latest Windows 10 Pro, Xibo signboard, Docker with Xibo server. Always the same 'Caused By Address'. Put in new memory, ran memory test, no errors, all drivers up to date. Change disk type to AHCA, made sure windows driver was...
  7. Random BSODs (ntoskrnl,memory_management)

Random BSODs (ntoskrnl,memory_management): Hello, first timer here. Long story short, after i updated to windows 10 from 8.1 i started experiencing some randomly BSODs. So i downloaded the ISO and made a clean install.Immidiatelly after my newly formated pc i installed Avast,mozilla and Asrock's Suite to check for...
  8. Frequent BSODs - L1C63x64.sys

Frequent BSODs - L1C63x64.sys: Since upgrading to Windows 10 I am getting frequent BSODs with DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in L1C634x64.sys especially when the network is loaded (heavy bit torrent activity) Googling has led me to believe that it is problems lies with my Atheros driver so I have updated...
  9. Frequent dxgmms2.sys related BSOD's

Frequent dxgmms2.sys related BSOD's: Since the last windows update I get frequent crashes with the above source referenced. My Nvidia graphic driver is overwritten by a seemingly unstable one by windows update. My only resolution to cure the problem is to roll back to an older version, whereby I can play...
  10. Frequent BSOD Wdf01000.sys

Frequent BSOD Wdf01000.sys: I've been getting BSODs when leaving my computer idle. Not running anything intensive. From looking at the minidump file I can't find much other than it's probably because of the Wdf01000.sys driver. Hopefully you can get all of the information you need from the .zip file I...
Tags: