Windows 10: Fresh install help file backup

Discus and support Fresh install help file backup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Where can I get a list of files I need to copy before formatting my hard drive? boy, I miss Easy File Transfer. *Sad 28993 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BillS22, Nov 6, 2015.

1. BillS22 Win User

Fresh install help file backup

Where can I get a list of files I need to copy before formatting my hard drive?

boy, I miss Easy File Transfer. *Sad

:)

BillS22, Nov 6, 2015

2. PC restrating frequently

you may need to backup your files and install windows fresh, upgrades can be messy

Hardcore Games™, Nov 6, 2015
  3. Runtime Broker high CPU usage

The best way to resolve the problem is backup your important files and do a fresh install of windows 10.

mattcook78, Nov 6, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

What I copy to other media are data files I've created or that exist nowhere else or would take considerable time getting again, mostly pictures, music I've ripped from CD, video clips I've downloaded, etc. Only you can decide what you want to keep that you haven't copied before, that is if you have other copies. I don't use backup programs, just copy files to an External USB HDD so I can use them on any computer in Windows Explorer [Win7 and earlier] or File Explorer [Win8 and newer] without having to install a program. Some I can even view on Mac OS X and Linux, common formats.

Berton, Nov 6, 2015
  5. BillS22 Win User
    I'm more concerned on how to save my outlook files and contacts. My favorites. Etc. those system files that will restore my email, contacts, favorites, everything easy file transfer did for you in win 7. Win 10 doesn't have EFT.

BillS22, Nov 6, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    Well, I am a computer technician and I have routinely backup my customers' data for a clean-install. I first open the C: drive in This PC. Here I have a look for any non-standard folder, such as drivers, manufacturer's utility installers etc. I copy these to the backup, simple copy-paste, no special software needed. Then I open C:\Users this is the folder where all the user account data are kept. Each user has its own home folder like C:\Users\username. I open the home folder of the user and make sure I copy the following folders: Documents, Downloads, Favorites (contains all IE bookmarks), Music, Pictures, Saved games (contains any saves to MS games), Videos. These are the standard folders. I also copy any non-standard folder is there that may contain data from a specific application. Next step is to enable view for hidden files and then open the AppData folder. Then open Local folder. Outlook files are in AppData/Local/Microsoft/Outlook so I copy the Outlook folder to the backup. If he is using Windows Live Mail, I would also copy any folder referring to Windows Live and Windows Mail. To backup Mozilla Firefox, don't forget to copy the folder AppData/Local/Mozilla. Since you have to restore these folders to the same place, I create a folder AppData_Local in the backup and copy these there to remember where to restore them later. Then go to AppData/Roaming and backup the AppData/Romaing/Microsoft/Outlook folder. For Firefox, also copy the AppData/Roaming/Mozilla folder. Again I copy these to a folder named AppData_Roaming to remember to restore them there. Next step is to open the C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86) (for 64-bit systems). Copy any folder that might work without reinstallation. These are usually folders from games that can run without reinstallation, they simply ask to put the game DVD-ROM for validation before they load. To backup Firefox, also copy the Mozilla folder from there. To backup Windows Mail, also backup any relevant folder from there. To remember to put them in program files, I create a folder Programs and copy them there. For Outlook it is also safe to load it and export your account to a PST file. You can then import this PST file in the new installation. If done correctly, it should contain all your contacts and e-mails.

After you have formatted the disk and made a clean-install of Windows 10, copy the backup at the appropriate folder. That is, the folders in C:\ just put them there. All user folders, copy them in C:\Users\username, when asked for replace, reply yes. All folders in AppData_Local copy to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local. All folders in AppData_Roaming copy to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming. Any extra folders in user folder copy to C:\Users\username. All folders in Programs copy to C:\Program Files and/or C:\Program Files (x86) according to where they originally were. When you install the relevant application they will be detected and used. For example after you have copied the Mozilla folders to AppData\Local AppData\Roaming and Program Files and then install Firefox, it will detect the folders and ask for upgrade, reply yes to install Firefox. When you open it you will see that all the bookmarks are preserved and even some extensions and themes, although you may have to reinstall some extensions to work. But the most important thing, bookmarks and passwords are restored!

I hope that helps.

PS: Rather than copy the Outlook folders from the backup, you can also create your account again in Outlook. When complete and you can send/receive e-mails, go to import from PST file (not remember the exact steps, you can Google them) and browse to the backup folder to read the PST file. It will them import all your contacts and e-mails to your account. Just make sure you import on the same folders, or you will have to open a different set of folders to see them.

spapakons, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Fresh install help file backup - Similar Threads - Fresh install help

2. Windows 11 Fresh Install is TERRIBLE, HELP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Fresh Install is TERRIBLE, HELP: Hey guys, it's IMPOSSIBLE to install windows 11.I downloaded the install media, created a bootable USB drive. This works fine.I installed the OS on my laptop and it "installed" ok.I then began the "setup" features and this is where the problem occurs....You are REQUIRED to...
  3. Help with fresh windows 10 install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Help with fresh windows 10 install: As you can see in my fresh install of windows 10, My display is showing 2 graphics cards. I am not sure if my pc is using the GeForce card. Shouldn't it only be having the GeForce on here? I tried to disable to Intel HD Graphics card, but then my display looks like ****...
  4. BDOS after fresh install Help!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BDOS after fresh install Help!: I just did a completely fresh install after wiping my drive. I've only installed two drivers, one at a time, the first razer synapse and I waited and no crash then I installed nvidia gpu driver, bsod almost instantly. Rolled back the drivers and now its constantly crashing. I...
  5. Transfer User files to fresh install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfer User files to fresh install: I have a Windows 10 system that has become very unstable. I keep getting random freezes and / or restarts. I have tried some basic steps, outlined online and it keeps happening. At this point i am going to reinstall a fresh copy of Windows. My worry is that my User files...
  6. fresh install help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    fresh install help: okay, so I've been having some strange issues with lots of things, specifically in multiple games, and specifically R6S having mouse input lag. I think I just need a fresh install. I have a HDD and an SSD both 1TB and the HDD currently just has a backup on it, so could I...
  7. how to install backup files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to install backup files: how do I install personal backup files located on drive c https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-install-backup-files/cd7bb2a4-a6e0-4b95-a1d4-d9546e970661"
  8. I need help with fresh install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I need help with fresh install: My computer was not running my games well, so i tried installing new drivers. (I have a Gtx 970) The driver completely messed up my native resolution from 1600x900 to 1600x1200. I went into device manager and uninstalled the driver, and restarted so i could get the default...
  9. Backup and transferring program for fresh windows 10 install

Backup and transferring program for fresh windows 10 install: I want to upgrade a couple of PCs to windows 10 but I need to do a fresh install and then transfer the files back onto the machine. With windows easy transfer gone I havent found any decent 3rd party program to backup and then transfer back onto the machine once its been...
  10. unable to fresh install-help!

unable to fresh install-help!: I have a Dell Inspiron 17R 5720 laptop. It had 8.1 on it. It was upgraded to Win10, used one day, then crashed, and unable to boot. When handed to me for inspection, I found the partitions were all kinds of messed up. After several attempts to straighten them out, we decided...