Windows 10: Fresh Install, How to Save clean state for future restore instead of clean install?

Discus and support Fresh Install, How to Save clean state for future restore instead of clean install? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I just installed fresh Windows 10 from a USB Drive created with the Media Creation Tool. I've now updated everything, installed all the necessary... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/bobbytrashlord, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Fresh Install, How to Save clean state for future restore instead of clean install?

I just installed fresh Windows 10 from a USB Drive created with the Media Creation Tool.

I've now updated everything, installed all the necessary drivers (wifi, bluetooth, audio, graphics) and set up my microsoft account, edge browser with extensions and programs I always need (eg. bitwarden, onedrive)

I copy all of my files either to onedrive (as an active directory) or to my Synology (as an archive). Only files I have on my pc are programs, games and utilities (arduinoIDE, putty, VESC tool, Discord, Photoshop, Solidworks etc).
    Most of these require accounts and it takes way to much to log back in after a clean system install or even a system reset.

What is the best way to photograph this state? Is there a way I could copy this exact setup to a different computer without doing that manually? How would I restore this state in the future when I want to return to a clean slate without having to redo this?

I know the following systems exist but I'm not sure which one does what I want:

File History (settings->update&security->backup):
    does it only backup (C:\Users\[username]\) or does it include windows settings and app settings as well? (eg. krita workspace settings, app settings that are shared with other users?)

Backup and restore (windows 7): is it just file history but old school?

Create system Image: I understand this would basically create a file similar to the windows media creation tool to install windows again but without the initial setup. Personal files and settings included?

Restore point: This one takes a snapshot of registry and system files (and drivers?) and restores their state of the time it was created. Uninstalls apps? App settings in User folder? Windows settings (windows account, onedrive folders?)

submitted by /u/bobbytrashlord
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/bobbytrashlord, Apr 14, 2021

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Apr 14, 2021
  3. Wile E Win User
    Windows Vista Clean Installation

To do a clean install on a fresh hard drive with Vista on an upgrade disc, you have to follow certain steps. Buying a full install CD would've been easier, but using the upgrade disc only adds more time, so it's not that big of a deal.

Follow the instructions here to do a clean install with an upgrade disc: Perform a Clean Install with a Vista Upgrade Disc - Windows Vista Tips / Tricks /Tutorials | Vista Rewired

Wile E, Apr 14, 2021
  4. Fresh Install, How to Save clean state for future restore instead of clean install?

No More Clean-Installs for Vista Upgrades

When users were upgrading to Windows XP, the procedure was that users could simply insert their old Windows 98 or Windows 2000 CD at the appropriate time during a clean install without the need for the old OS to be installed at the time. However, Microsoft has decided to change this for Vista, and now requires a fully installed and activated version of your old OS already on the machine. This comes as an attempt to prevent illegal use of upgrade CDs, but could be inconvenient and time consuming when the time comes to reinstall. The new procedure for a reinstall is as follows:
    • Install your old copy of Windows XP
    • Activate it either online or over the phone
    • Install Vista
    Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Apr 14, 2021
Thema:

Fresh Install, How to Save clean state for future restore instead of clean install?

1. Fresh Install, How to Save clean state for future restore instead of clean install? - Similar Threads - Fresh Install Save

2. Full backup and restore on clean install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Full backup and restore on clean install?: I have an i9 computer which upgraded from Windows 10 to 11. Can I create a full backup image with my apps, do a Windows 11 clean install, and then restore the image? If so, any directions/information?...
  3. Full backup and restore on clean install?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Full backup and restore on clean install?: I have an i9 computer which upgraded from Windows 10 to 11. Can I create a full backup image with my apps, do a Windows 11 clean install, and then restore the image? If so, any directions/information?...
  4. Start Fresh with Clean Installation of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Fresh with Clean Installation of Windows 10: I always run the "Start Fresh with Clean Installation of Windows 10" option on new computers. I just ran it on two new Lenovo laptops using this information: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10startfreshNow - I have major problem and I need your...
  5. How clean is a windows 10 clean install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How clean is a windows 10 clean install?: I just went through two days of reading up on doing a Windows 10 "clean " reinstall from installation Media from THIS site (the reason was that after a system re-set my entire laptop was an explosion of every virus I've ever heard of. The reason for that:? AVAST, what else?...
  6. need to install fresh clean windows

need to install fresh clean windows: Hi , How can I install a fresh windows in my PC. I don't have a disc or something ,when I tried with restore option it asks for disc mediums . since it is a licensed version how can I get to install windows...
  7. Fresh, clean install- frequent BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fresh, clean install- frequent BSOD: Hi guys, hate to introduce myself this way but need some help. PC is Lenovo Erazer X510, has fresh, clean installed Win 10 Pro. Getting BSODs. Tried reading the dump with WhoCrashed, not getting any real info: crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\010416-12046-01.dmp This...
  8. Registry restoration on a clean install

in Windows 10 Support
    Registry restoration on a clean install: I recently had to do a clean install for windows 10 due to my computer deadlocking twice a day randomly. I backed up every application and even created a backup of my computer's registry in regedit before committing to a clean install. When I finished with reinstalling...
  9. Clean install vs refresh or restore

Clean install vs refresh or restore: Back with XP/7 and maybe 8 doing a format and clean install was the prefered way to install an OS or to fix errors I have updated to win10 from 8 which carried over all my previously installed programs, but was considering a clean install via usb and reinstalling all the...
  10. How to clean install

How to clean install: Hello Ladies and Gents, I just had a question. As a Windows 10 Insider, when we receive the free upgrade to the RTM, how then do I do a clean install? I thought we'd need to burn the iso to a DVD to do that. Thank you. 8273