Windows 10: Fresh install of W10 on a tablet - W10 thinks its a desktop?!?

Discus and support Fresh install of W10 on a tablet - W10 thinks its a desktop?!? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Tried the XDA forums and got no where so though someone here might assist? I bought a cheapy tablet called a Ployer MOMO8W, it had W10 working on it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nerdgeek1, Oct 27, 2016.

1. nerdgeek1 Win User

Fresh install of W10 on a tablet - W10 thinks its a desktop?!?

Tried the XDA forums and got no where so though someone here might assist?

I bought a cheapy tablet called a Ployer MOMO8W, it had W10 working on it all OK but I had to perform a fresh install as the last W10 update wouldn't boot anymore. I used the bios to load from USB a fresh install.

It all went OK apart from the fact that it thinks its a now desktop and not a tablet anymore! There is no touch, no battery management icon, no screen brightness changer and no sound!

Looking in device manager I've got nothing in there with a yellow warning triangle and for the touch part there is no HID-compliant touch screen listed!

Does anyone know how to get this tablet to work as a tablet again please?

:)

nerdgeek1, Oct 27, 2016

2. Synching a W10 tablet with a W10 laptop

I just got a W10 tablet but when I plug it in to my W10 laptop I don't see any reaction on the laptop. With an older Android tablet plugging it in would open a file explorer window so I could access the tablet directories from the laptop. Is there any
    way to do that with the new W10 tablet?

Jonathan613, Oct 27, 2016
  3. Bluetooth speaker

I have a new tablet that runs both w10 and android. Bluetooth connects with my Sony speaker and works fine using android so I think the hardware is ok. Using w10 it is paired and connected but sound comes from the tablet not the speaker. I've checked
    the speaker drivers and w10 reports they are up to date. not sure what else to try

PeterBullard, Oct 27, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Did you export the manufacturer's specific drivers for the tablet before doing the clean install? Even though there are no exclamation points in device manager, there still could be manufacturer specific drivers that will have more functionality then the generic Windows 10 drivers being used.

NavyLCDR, Oct 27, 2016
  5. nerdgeek1 Win User
    I didn't do that as I didn't plan on doing a fresh install, the last big W10 update made tablet refuse to boot so had not option to. It now has all the latest updates from MS and boots just fine. It just thinks it's a desktop *Sad

nerdgeek1, Oct 27, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Unfortunately, as you have learned the hard way, the first step when you get one of those non-brand name tablets should be to back up the entire memory onto a USB flash drive or SD Card using a program like Macrium Reflect. Vanilla Windows 10 downloaded from Microsoft rarely has the driver and registry adjustments made by the manufacturer to make everything work correctly and the low end manufacturers are not likely to have them available for download anywhere.

My Nextbook tablet requires a special driver to get the screen to rotate and, even worse than that, requires a registry entry adjustment to make it rotate to the correct orientation. Luckily the first thing I do when I purchase any off the shelf computer is do a full backup of it so when I did a clean install of Windows 10 I was able to go back to the bakup image I made and find the screen rotation driver and the correct registry correction to make for it.

NavyLCDR, Oct 27, 2016
  7. nerdgeek1 Win User
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

I found the .inf .sys .cat (some .dll) for the same named drivers on a forum that someone reviewed this tablet on. For instance the touch driver is SileadTouch and the folder contains the following:

sileadtouch.cat
    SileadTouch.inf
    SileadTouch.sys
    WdfCoinstaller01011.dll

I've tried right clicking the .inf file and installing but it doesn't change anything. Windows 10 still doesn't detect the touch screen.

nerdgeek1, Oct 27, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

In device manager, right click on the top entry for the computer. There should be an option to manually install hardware. Click on that and then point the installation to the inf file.

I'm not at a Windows 10 computer right now to give you the exact steps, but that should get you to the right direction.

Right click on the top entry for the computer, select Add Legacy Hardware, then Next, then "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list", Next, Next, leave Show All Devices highlighted, Next, Have Disk, then browse to the .inf file for the touch screen driver.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Fresh install of W10 on a tablet - W10 thinks its a desktop?!? - Similar Threads - Fresh install W10

2. Fresh w10 install crashes in final stage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fresh w10 install crashes in final stage: So I have a fujitsu q520 that was running w10 and used a tv screen via dp adaptor and hdmi. i bought a monitor and didn't get an image through that cable so I used a dvi lead and all was good kind of during the changing of leads because i had no screen i had to power off...
  3. Fresh w10 install crashes in final stage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fresh w10 install crashes in final stage: So I have a fujitsu q520 that was running w10 and used a tv screen via dp adaptor and hdmi. i bought a monitor and didn't get an image through that cable so I used a dvi lead and all was good kind of during the changing of leads because i had no screen i had to power off...
  4. Fresh w10 install crashes in final stage

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Fresh rewrite of the W10 bootloader

in Windows 10 Support
    Fresh rewrite of the W10 bootloader: What would be the proper way to rewrite the W10 bootloader? Out of the partitions 99MB, 91.90MB is used, leaving only 7.10MB unused. Too many Linux dual-boot sessions have grown the used portion of the boot partition from 34.45MB to the present 91.9MB. The GRUB entries were...
  6. Fresh W10 Install on D: Drive?

Fresh W10 Install on D: Drive?: so i have windows 10 installed on my c: drive but it has become unstable, even a reset and countless other "tricks" didn't fix the issues, so i've decided to just go ahead and do a clean install... as mentioned, it's installed on my c: drive but this time around i would like...
  7. Fresh W10 Install on D: Drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Fresh W10 Install on D: Drive?: so i have windows 10 installed on my c: drive but it has become unstable, even a reset and countless other "tricks" didn't fix the issues, so i've decided to just go ahead and do a clean install... as mentioned, it's installed on my c: drive but this time around i would like...
  8. Low volume after fresh W10 installation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Low volume after fresh W10 installation: I just installed Windows10 on my computer after facing some problems with Windows Apps, I've noticed low output coming out of my Logitech G633 headset. Earlier, my Spotify volume bar was set at 40% and windows volume set to 60, and it felt loud, now I have to set volume on...
  9. Cannot activate W10 after fresh install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot activate W10 after fresh install: Went to Microsoft website and downloaded the ISO image of W10. I have a Lenovo D20 that I have performed a fresh OS install onto a new ssd hard drive. Wanted to make sure W10 ran okay on hardware. After comfortable that W10 was running okay (no device manager complaints,...
  10. W10 update on tablet failure

W10 update on tablet failure: I have a small tablet which came with W10 pre-installed, and I have updated to the latest versions of W10 as they became available. The latest update in Nov 2018 has left me with a useless tablet and no way of access anything:- The update as such appeared to go OK, but at...