Windows 10: Fresh install of Win 10 or do an update?

Discus and support Fresh install of Win 10 or do an update? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Is this still true - the way Windows is updated for major releases is essentially doing a fresh install into a different folder, then copy over the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ECrispy, May 28, 2020.

1. Fresh install of Win 10 or do an update?

Is this still true - the way Windows is updated for major releases is essentially doing a fresh install into a different folder, then copy over the current registry, user settings etc?

Is there any advantage to doing a fresh install from iso? I don't mind reinstalling my apps, most of them are portable and for others I use chocolatey so its a simple batch file. The most irritating part is actually pointing OneDrive and profile folders to d: instead of c:\users\xxx, which the OS setup should ask you about.

submitted by /u/ECrispy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ECrispy, May 28, 2020

2. Fresh Install of Win 10 without Serial Key?

Looking to reformat a laptops HDD, and then reinstall Win 10 fresh. The problem is it came pre-installed with Win 8 and I did the free upgrade to Win 10. How exactly would I re-format the HDD, reinstall Win 10 and ensure it reactivates properly? I don't see a Win 8 serial key anywhere in the contents of the box.

Flogger23m, May 28, 2020
  3. Fresh install, Win Update issue

I've just done this on several computers at work. There is a download from Microsoft that will help with the initial update after a fresh install! Give me a sec. and I'll find the name:

Windows6.1-KB3102810-x64.msu

I think if you just search for the KB3102810 part you will find it online somewhere. It's just slightly more than 3 MB in size. We waited over an hour with one of the processor cores pegged with nothing happening. This was on a fresh install of Win 7 64-bit SP1 and we were just trying to get the very first update (the one before the massive ~1 GB of updates)

I never saw a .msu before but it runs just like an executable. It will still take a few minutes after you have that patch installed for the update to run but you won't be waiting forever like before.

Beertintedgoggles, May 28, 2020
  4. Fresh install of Win 10 or do an update?

Fresh USB Windows 10 Install - Failing

I am trying to install a fresh copy (reformatted the hard disk) of windows 10 using a USB

• Created an installation media on a USB flash drive (Win 10 pro) from this page Download Windows 10
    • Changed the boot order on the other PC so that it boots using USB
    • Selected custom install
    • Installing Windows goes through the following steps successfully: Copying Windows Files, Getting Files ready for installation, Installing features, Installing updates and before the last step (Finishing up), it restarts
    • Then it goes back to the start of the installation steps

I am stuck and have read numerous posts but don't know what to do to install a fresh copy of Win 10.

deepakkaushik, May 28, 2020
Thema:

Fresh install of Win 10 or do an update?

1. Fresh install of Win 10 or do an update? - Similar Threads - Fresh install update

2. BSOD on win 10 fresh windows install, updated drivers

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD on win 10 fresh windows install, updated drivers: Hello, i have a computer with a ryzen 7 3800x, 64gigs of ram and a 3080 that has been crashing quite frequenbtly about 3 times a day and giving multiple different blue screens but i have found these under reliability history. "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The...
  3. BSOD on win 10 fresh windows install, updated drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD on win 10 fresh windows install, updated drivers: Hello, i have a computer with a ryzen 7 3800x, 64gigs of ram and a 3080 that has been crashing quite frequenbtly about 3 times a day and giving multiple different blue screens but i have found these under reliability history. "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The...
  4. BSOD on win 10 fresh windows install, updated drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Bugcheck - on fresh Win 10 install

Bugcheck - on fresh Win 10 install: Hi Guys and gals, I've encountered my first BSOD after a fresh install of Win10, before it, i was getting consistantly different BSOD's. I will start off by saying, temperatures are fine, RAM is tested and fine (memtest 4.5 hours and Windows memory diagnostic). I'm dying...
  6. Fresh install of Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fresh install of Win 10: I have an 2014 vintage ASUS Transformer that I would like to wipe clean and buy/install Windows 10. The problem is the original Win 8.1 install seems to be corrupt. It will not update, and if I try to refresh or reinstall, it wants the installation media, which I do not have....
  7. Internet issues on fresh install of Win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internet issues on fresh install of Win 10: Just reinstalled windows on to a new SSD. Everything freshly installed, but I've been enountering problems with my internet connection. And I really can't make sense of it. It happened prior to and after installing the latest driver to my tp-link wireless card. I really...
  8. Fresh Install Win 10

Fresh Install Win 10: My two PC were free upgraded to Win 10 last year. I want to re install the Win 10 on one of that PC due to virus in that PC which is not getting removed. My question is, how to re install Win 10 and how it will be activated. Do I need to note down some thing from this PC to...
  9. Problem with install of fresh copy of win 10

Problem with install of fresh copy of win 10: During install of fresh copy of win 10 got stop clock error on blue screen. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/problem-with-install-of-fresh-copy-of-win-10/ea92da82-94aa-4a2c-91ce-e9092f0eace1
  10. BSOD after fresh Win 10 install

BSOD after fresh Win 10 install: Was having various issues with BSOD's for a couple weeks previously, and it all seemed point to being driver related so I reinstalled Win 10 from scratch. After reinstalling, I am having new BSOD's seemingly at random with dxgmms2.sys. Would love to know what I managed to...