Windows 10: Fresh install of Windows 10 1809 - You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender

Discus and support Fresh install of Windows 10 1809 - You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; OK, this is quite hilarious. I've just downloaded the W10 ISO using the Media Creation Tool from MS, and proceeded to use it to create a simple VM in... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Mateusz Bender, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Fresh install of Windows 10 1809 - You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender

OK, this is quite hilarious. I've just downloaded the W10 ISO using the Media Creation Tool from MS, and proceeded to use it to create a simple VM in Hyper-V. In other words - a brand new, VM install of W10 1809 using the latest ISO available from MS for the general public.

The install, in general, looks fine. However, once installed, I tried opening the Windows Defender Security Center. No matter how I try to run this, the UI never opens and instead I get the W10 warning message as if I was trying to open an unrecognised URL protocol or file type: "You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender".

Of course clicking the button to go to the Windows Store doesn't do much as there's no "windowsdefender" in the Store. Also, I checked the C:\Program Files\Windows Defender folder, and there's no MSASCui.exe! Meaning, MS either forgot to put it in OR failed to hook up some new Defender UI to the rest of the system.

Dear MS, this latest version is CLEARLY NOT READY for public use! Revoke it (even from the Platform Ready tool or the Media Creation tool) until you fix it!

EDIT: Here's a screenshot for proof:

Fresh install of Windows 10 1809 - You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender 61b16742-01ec-4351-a273-6bbee7f05f21?upload=true.png

:)

Mateusz Bender, Dec 27, 2018

2. Windows 10 installing progs

I decided to take the plunge and upgrade to windows 10 from 7. I used the Media Creation Tool from MS website. It took awhile, but I am finally running Windows 10 (12-14).

I opened the new App & Program feature to remove programs that I no longer needed. Scrolling down the list, I was horrified! Apps that I didn't install somehow magically installed themselves. Two programs stood out: Facebook and Candy Crush Soda Saga. Both programs have those tale-tale icons that they came from Windows Store (which I've never even opened). The install date for both of them were on 12-26.

Is this a common thing for Windows 10? Or is it because I did an upgrade and not a clean install?

GoFigureItOut, Dec 27, 2018
  3. Cannot open Windows Defender UI after 1809 fresh install

Upon pressing on "Open Windows Security" I'm getting this:

"You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender"

Code:
    start windowsdefender: [b]

[/b]
    command in cmd or powershell does not help

UPD: Repair install solved problem.

MrNovaWolf, Dec 27, 2018
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Fresh install of Windows 10 1809 - You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 27, 2018
Thema:

Fresh install of Windows 10 1809 - You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender

1. Fresh install of Windows 10 1809 - You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender - Similar Threads - Fresh install 1809

2. you'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender link

in Windows 10 Gaming
    you'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender link: so i just upgraded to windows 11 from windows updates. and everytime i try to open windows defender i got this little pop up window. someone please help me. os build: 22000.675...
  3. You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender link

in Windows 10 Gaming
    You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender link: I'm using this command to try to fix it:You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender linkbut this is what shows up:Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.SecHealthUI_cw5n1h2txyewy\AppXManifest.xml' because it does not exist. At...
  4. You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender link

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender link: I'm using this command to try to fix it:You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender linkbut this is what shows up:Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.SecHealthUI_cw5n1h2txyewy\AppXManifest.xml' because it does not exist. At...
  5. "You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender link"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender link": I am using this command on powershell to get rid of the "You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender link" message : Add-AppxPackage -Register -DisableDevelopmentMode "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.SecHealthUI_cw5n1h2txyewy\AppXManifest.xml"But it's not able...
  6. You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender: Hello All, I try to open anything in the "Windows Security" page in Settings, it prompts me to open it with a new app and the only thing available is the Microsoft Store. I click "Virus & threat protection," and the prompt comes up with "You'll need a new app to open this...
  7. You'll need need a new app to open this : windowsdefender

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    You'll need need a new app to open this : windowsdefender: Good Day, I just got a new computer with a windows 10 home in it. I want to turn off windows defender but I cant seem to turn it off. It gives a pop up that says 'You'll need need a new app to open this : windowsdefender'. This is affecting other window settings I wish to...
  8. "You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender" error

"You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender" error: New install of WIN10 build 1809 yesterday. When I try to open any section of "windows security" I get this small window appear. I see someone else fixed this problem by going through cortana but that didn't work for me. Also there is a pop up with a similar window when I...
  9. You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender

in Windows 10 Customization
    You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender: I keep getting stuff from Windows Defender and I want to open it but then I get the error in the title. I have Avast (free version) but I was getting the error before I installed Avast. How do I fix this? If you do need it here is my computer's specs Dell Latitude E6530...
  10. new install Windows 10 1809 - You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender

new install Windows 10 1809 - You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender: New computer - all clean, installed windows 10 pro v1809 - All works, but Anything I click on that pertains to windows security (in settings) - simply brings up a dialog box "You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender" and does nothing else. Not even sure windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. youll need a new app to open this windowsdefender

2. you will need a new app to open this windowsdefender

3. youll need a new app to open windowsdefender

4. open windows security youll need a new app,
  5. youll need a new app ms-windows-store 1809,
  6. ms gaming overlay,
  7. windows defender youll need a new app,
  8. need new app to open windows defender,
  9. need a new app windowsdefender,
  10. youll need an app to install this windowsdefender,
  11. youll need a new app to open windows defender,