Windows 10: Fresh install on new laptop w/Win10-Home

Discus and support Fresh install on new laptop w/Win10-Home in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Thank you for your response. First, run your Windows 7 Pro product key through showkeyplus "check product key" function: Solved Showkey -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nkaufman, Dec 4, 2015.

1. nkaufman Win User

Fresh install on new laptop w/Win10-Home

Thank you for your response.

I found my paperwork and Win 7 Pro that I have is a retail edition.

Am quite disappointed with Lenovo. They have a System Backup Utility that one can use to make back ups of C:\. If future backups are made to the same folder then the utility makes incremental backup.

Now, the issues:
    Why the utility does not backup D:\ partition where Lenovo has System Drivers beats me.
    Backups cannot be made on external HDD greater than 2TB even on Win-10 systems. Why? Why?

Of course, I digress.

But will be making a system back up of C:\ using Lenovo utility. Make a full backup of D:\ that has all drives.
    Install Macrium Reflect and make another backup just in case of whole system. Can never be too careful Fresh install on new laptop w/Win10-Home :)

Great. Had no idea about this generic key. So this just allows system to upgrade to Win-10 Pro? Nice!
    Will need to look at how to manually trigger the update to Win-10. I thought it comes as a windows update. Unless I misunderstood you and you meant to download Win-10 iso and do a complete Win-10 install.

How does one ensure that the Win-10 update will be a specific build?

With 2 backup images that I'll have after my first step, I should be good for this.

Thanks again for your input.

nkaufman, Dec 8, 2015
  2. NavyLCDR New Member

That is why I use Macrium Reflect Free.

Download the Windows 10 ISO from Windows 10 Media Creation Tool or Microsoft Tech Bench. Either mount the ISO using a program such as UltraISO or make a USB/DVD from the ISO. From the mounted ISO or USB/DVD with Windows 7 running, run setup.exe. (don't boot from the USB/DVD, just insert it with Windows 7 running). Running setup.exe from within Windows 7 will do the upgrade to Windows 10. If you are running your Windows 7 Pro, it will upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

If you want to clean install Windows 10, then you would boot from the WIndows 10 USB/DVD.

I can't tell you what you will get with Windows Update (for upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10). If you have old files saved on your computer, that might upgrade you to build 10240. The ISOs you get with the current Media Creation Tool or Microsoft Tech Bench downloads will be version 1511, build 10586.

NavyLCDR, Dec 8, 2015
  3. nkaufman Win User
    Thank you for your assistance. Afraid I'm a bit lost on the exact steps now to follow:

Not sure I understand what you meant here.

Earlier it was suggested to upgrade from Win-10 Home to Pro using generic key, then enter my Win-7 Pro key to try and activate Win-10 Pro.

Now, with the need to use specific version, it seems that I need to
    - first install Win-7Pro on laptop with Win-10Home,
    - download the specific version of Win-10Pro from MS
    - then upgrade to Win-10 Pro while running Win-7

Please let me know if I misunderstood.

Thanks again for your help.
    Getting closer. already made my backups and will be downloading Win-10 iso soon.

can I use an iso from a friend who has MSDN account (he won't provide any license, just an iso)? The iso he has says version 1511 but am not sure about build.

nkaufman, Dec 14, 2015
  4. OldMike65 Win User

No do NOT use your friends copy with the MSDN account. That could be a different Windows 10 OS.
    Simple question for you, IF your windows 7 you have right now ON your laptop IS Windows 7 Pro, then download Windows 10 Pro. What you should be doing is upgrading your Windows OS to the SAME version of Windows you ARE Running Now.
    Home for Home, Pro for Pro. Its that simple.
    Here is the link for down loading Windows 10, read the instructions, and then download the Windows 10 version you are actually running right now on your laptop. I would suggest you download the Windows 10 version from Tech Bench.
    Here is the link to read instructions, and download link also.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9...ad.html?filter

OldMike65, Dec 14, 2015
  5. nkaufman Win User
    I'm afraid that isn't accurate.

My situation recap:
    Old laptop (which I'm getting rid off) with Win-7Pro retail license.
    New laptop with Win10-Home

Want to upgrade new laptop to Win10-Pro.

nkaufman, Dec 14, 2015
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    It is accurate I'm afraid, this is not rocket science I typed it pretty simple. If your computer has Home, you upgrade to the HOME version, if your computer has Pro, then you upgrade to the Pro version. This means simply download the Windows 10 Home version, for your new laptop, do your clean install, then after Windows 10 Home IS activated, and updated with all the new updates. Because after you install windows 10 home, you will need to check for updates, as their will be a few. THEN after everything is updated, and Windows 10 IS activated, you should be able to Upgrade your windows 10 Home, to Windows 10 Pro using your RETAIL Pro key, but you might end up having to call Microsoft to activate your Home to Pro when trying to use your retail Pro key. As you can not be using two computers with the exact same Pro Key #'s One will have to be deactivated, that may require a call to Microsoft.

OldMike65, Dec 14, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    In the settings -> update & security -> activation screen: click change product key.

Enter the Windows 10 Pro generic product key:
    VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

When it is done upgrading to Pro, it will not be activated. To activate it go back to the same activation screen and click on change product key again and enter your Windows 7 Pro product key to activate it.

NavyLCDR, Dec 14, 2015
  8. OldMike65 Win User

Still don't think Windows will activate it if user uses same Pro key on his old computer IF Windows see's its registered to another computer. Can't use same key on TWO Computers. That's why I said this might require a call to Microsoft to explain this issue.

OldMike65, Dec 14, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    The key has to be used multiple times to get blocked from automatic activation. The second use won't block it. It's a retail product key - it's allowed to be transferred to a new computer. I have a retail Windows 7 key I have used at least a hundred times and it's not until the 5 or 6th time I use it in a space of about six months that it gets blocked from automatic activation - then it seems like if I don't use it for 6 months or so it resets to automatic activation again.

NavyLCDR, Dec 14, 2015
  10. OldMike65 Win User
    Interesting cause when I updated this computer from Home to Pro using a Retail key I Bought, I ended up having to call Microsoft to verify the Retail Key that I had just bought.
    A screen came up after entering my retail key, and told me I had to activate by phone. Then gave me a code to type in, then displayed the phone # to call. This was on a NEW Retail key. So maybe your right, but how does Windows know his old computer is still not being used?? Oh well.....time will tell, and I hope everything goes well with his activation to Pro. *Smile

OldMike65, Dec 14, 2015
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I've read that while MS doesn't keep a record of which PC a retail license is associated with, thus while it's not necessary, as you know, to disassociate a key with a PC before reusing it on another, there is a running record of the number of activations which is (probably) kept for a short period of time e.g. 3 months.

Others have reported, as you say, needing to have a conversation.
    Not an exact situation, apparently, and of course a model superceded with Win 10.

dalchina, Dec 14, 2015
  12. nkaufman Win User
    Try again, please Fresh install on new laptop w/Win10-Home :) Fresh install on new laptop w/Win10-Home :)

I think you're missing the point that I'm trying to upgrade the Win-10Home to Win-10Pro using my older unit's Win-7Pro license key.

New laptop already has win-10 home so no need to download that.

Let me know if there is still some confusion and I'll try my best to explain again but hopefully my next post on this thread would make things clearer.

nkaufman, Dec 15, 2015
  13. nkaufman Win User

I think this seems to be the simplest way to upgrade and then once my Win-7Pro key is used to activate Win-10Pro and is successful, I can wipe out the HDD (removing all partitions etc) and install Win-10Pro again with separate OS and Data partitions etc.

So both of my needs - Upgrading to Win-10 Pro using Win-7Pro and cleaning new laptop (with Win-10Home currently) of all Lenovo installed crap, fresh install Win-10Pro, would be met.

nkaufman, Dec 15, 2015
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Almost, but not quite. If the laptop has a product key for Windows Home in bios then when you do a clean install of Windows 10, it will automatically install Windows 10 Home based on the product key in bios. Then you will have to upgrade again to Windows 10 Pro by entering the generic Windows 10 Pro product key. This time, though, the Windows 10 Pro will be activated because it was previously activated on that computer.

There is a way around that - use a PID.txt file on the install media with the generic Windows 10 pro product key in the file. You need only do the PID.txt file part of this:
    Windows Setup Edition Configuration and Product ID Files (EI.cfg and PID.txt)

NavyLCDR, Dec 15, 2015
  15. nkaufman Win User
    thank you for your continued assistance.

i didn't realize that even if one upgrades a unit from Win-10 Home to Win-10 Pro, one cannot do a fresh install of Win-10 Pro on that machine because the bios will still have the older Win-10 Home key.

nkaufman, Dec 15, 2015
Thema:

1. Fresh install on new laptop w/Win10-Home - Similar Threads - Fresh install laptop

2. i5-2500k based PC fresh win10 install stuck w/ BSOD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    i5-2500k based PC fresh win10 install stuck w/ BSOD: Ok, my daughter is going away for college and strangely asked for a desktop for casual gaming CSGO, in addition to her macbook. I have an old build laying around collecting dust so I thought I'll refresh it for her. Here's the spec:i5-2500k sandy brdigeAsus Maximum IV Gene-z...
  3. i5-2500k based PC fresh win10 install stuck w/ BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i5-2500k based PC fresh win10 install stuck w/ BSOD: Ok, my daughter is going away for college and strangely asked for a desktop for casual gaming CSGO, in addition to her macbook. I have an old build laying around collecting dust so I thought I'll refresh it for her. Here's the spec:i5-2500k sandy brdigeAsus Maximum IV Gene-z...
  4. i5-2500k based PC fresh win10 install stuck w/ BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. BSOD w/ fresh Win10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD w/ fresh Win10: Hello all, been having some trouble with Win10 as it's been BSOD often. Had to put it off until recently and I had thought I fixed it with some outdated drivers for my Scarlett 2i4 and some graphic drivers but it has come back in full force. Decided to start fresh with a new...
  6. HP Laptop with fresh clean install of Win10 Home

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HP Laptop with fresh clean install of Win10 Home: I had to do a fresh full install of Win 10 Home 64bit on my HP Laptop Pavilion X360 The install went well and everything is working and now have Win10 Build 19042.928 The only issues are I have a bunch of devices without any drivers. Unable to tell what they are for. Can you...
  7. Fresh win10 install on sshd

in Windows 10 Support
    Fresh win10 install on sshd: I had to do my build over as I was having issue with my firecuda sshd booting or even accepting win 10 after cleaning and formatting and redownloading I reinstalled from usb to the ssd win 10 os this time I got a miracle and with the ssd being the only thing in my bios that...
  8. Looking for tutorial for fresh install of win10 home on new ssd

Looking for tutorial for fresh install of win10 home on new ssd: I looked over the tutorial for custom installation of win 10 but it had many steps about microsoft accounts that I'm not sure are applicable to me. I have a new pc with a brand new ssd (sata) and I have made a bootable usb drive with win10 installation files on it. I'd...
  9. Install Win 10 Pro on New Alienware Laptop w/Home Already Installed

Install Win 10 Pro on New Alienware Laptop w/Home Already Installed: Hi, As the title states I have a brand new Alienware R5-17" laptop that comes with Windows 10 Home installed. It has a 256 SSD and a 1 TB HDD. I have not powered the laptop up yet because I know Windows will want to walk me through a first setup process along with activation....
  10. UAC reverting on Dell laptops fresh install of Win10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UAC reverting on Dell laptops fresh install of Win10: I have a dell laptop that I'm attempting to change the UAC settings on. I have logged in as both a machine admin and a domain admin, changed the setting for UAC to notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer. Then did a reboot. The settings held fine for...