Windows 10: Fresh install on new laptop w/Win10-Home

Discus and support Fresh install on new laptop w/Win10-Home in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; i didn't realize that even if one upgrades a unit from Win-10 Home to Win-10 Pro, one cannot do a fresh install of Win-10 Pro on that machine because... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nkaufman, Dec 4, 2015.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

Fresh install on new laptop w/Win10-Home

If the manufacturer put a key in bios. Windows 10 won't write anything to the bios.

NavyLCDR, Dec 15, 2015
  2. nkaufman Win User

Thank you for your response.

How would I go about finding out if Lenovo has put the key in bios?

So, as I understand -
    upgrade from Win-10 Home to Win-10 Pro using generic key
    then try and use Win-7Pro key to activate Win-10Pro.
    download win-10 Pro from Tech Bench
    Get my Win-10Pro key using showkeyplus. this would be my official key now
    Modify as per - Windows Setup Edition Configuration and Product ID Files (EI.cfg and PID.txt). Looked at this link and see "The product key in the product ID file is only used to install Windows. This key is not used to activate Windows'. what does this mean?
    Wipe out the HDD (removing all partitions etc)
    install Win-10Pro again (PID.txt - my Win-10Pro official key) with separate OS and Data partitions etc.

Now, would be stuck only if win-7 Pro is not accepted to activate Win-10Pro but will look at it at that time.

Does this sound like a plan?

Thanks again.

nkaufman, Dec 15, 2015
  3. NavyLCDR New Member
    Run showkeyplus from this forum:
    Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

Those steps are correct.

Nope. Your Windows 10 Pro product key will be the generic product key already given in this thread. After you activate an upgrade from Windows 7 once on this computer, the digital entitlement for Windows 10 Pro for that computer will be stored on Microsoft activation servers and the generic key will be used to both install (or upgrade) Windows 10 Pro and to activate it by retrieving the digital entitlement from Microsoft activation servers.

Optional, if you want to. (and only do the PID.txt file part) Otherwise just install home and use the generic Pro product key to upgrade to Pro. The upgrade to Pro only adds features to Home, so it will remain just as much a clean install as if you installed Pro from the start. The generic product, by itself, won't activate Windows 10 - that will happen by Windows 10 retrieving the digital entitlement from Microsoft activation servers.

Correct, except that it is the Windows 10 Pro generic product key that would go in the PID.txt file.

Correct. And there would be a possible fix for that if it should be rejected - but you would have to install Windows 7 Pro and activate it first. But let's hope the Windows 7 product key is accepted. Also, make sure you are on windows 10 version 1511, build 10586.xx (also known as the November update). That's the only version that will accept Windows 7 product keys. Build 10240 will not.

NavyLCDR, Dec 15, 2015
  4. nkaufman Win User

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

Attached is the screenshot of ShowKeyPlus. So it seems Lenovo has the key in bios.

So, basically i'm stuck with generic key if I need to do a fresh install in future.

I'd always thought that any machine (with Win-7) can use windows updates to upgrade to Win-10 and that there was a way to get the key assigned to that machine so that one could do a fresh install of Win-10 if needed. Maybe I misunderstood this.

Thanks again for clarifying.

nkaufman, Dec 20, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    When you upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1 you get a digital entitlement stored on Microsoft activation servers that Windows 10 will retrieve and activate after a fresh install.

NavyLCDR, Dec 20, 2015
  6. nkaufman Win User
    Got Win-10 Pro activated using Win-7 Pro license.

What I did was
    - In Win-10 Home went to upgrade
    - Used generic key to upgrade
    - Tried to activate Win-10 Pro using win-7 key but was unsuccessful and after a few tries was resigned to going back to Win-10 Home
    - But noticed that upgrade to Win-10 Pro from Win-10 Home didn't upgrade to the required version of Nov 2015
    - So did a windows update to latest build
    - Then used Win-7 Pro key to activate and it did with message "Digital Entitlement" or something like that.

So, now will do a fresh install using generic key to install Win-10 Pro and hopefully it will get activated based on Digital Entitlement.

Thanks for your assistance on this.

nkaufman, Dec 23, 2015
  7. Superfly Win User
    When installing Pro with a Home OEM key in the firmware make sure you force a Pro install with pid.txt containing the generic Pro key.

Superfly, Dec 23, 2015
  8. nkaufman Win User

Instead, at the prompt when it asks for key, can I not enter the generic Pro key?

Or will the install just pick up the Win-10 home key from bios and will not prompt me to enter a key in which case I have no option but to update pid.txt

Thanks for your input.

nkaufman, Dec 23, 2015
  9. nkaufman Win User
    Hello,

Am trying to clean install Win-10 Pro on a Lenovo Ideapad 300S that initially came with Win-10 Home and I upgraded to Win-10 Pro using my retail Win-7 Pro license. It currently shows as Win-10 Pro activated with digital entitlement.

Looked at tutorial to create bootable USB - downloaded Win-10 iso, windows dvd /usb creation tool and all was well.
    Looked at tutorial to disable secure boot and fast boot going to uefi settings.
    Issue - do not see any option for 'fast boot'. disabled secure boot
    Followed tutorial to select usb as start up

Laptop will NOT start using usb drive. Keeps going to my HDD and booting to windows.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks.

edit -- i think i found the error. I missed the part where dvd/usb tool is only for legacy mode. will need to look at options - media creation or rufus to proceed

nkaufman, Dec 23, 2015
  10. nkaufman Win User
    I was successful in doing that.

My laptop with Win-10Home initially is now Win-10 Pro w/digital entitlement.

Thank you for your assistance.

repped you as well Fresh install on new laptop w/Win10-Home :)

nkaufman, Dec 30, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Glad it worked for you! Thanks!

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Fresh install on new laptop w/Win10-Home - Similar Threads - Fresh install laptop

2. i5-2500k based PC fresh win10 install stuck w/ BSOD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    i5-2500k based PC fresh win10 install stuck w/ BSOD: Ok, my daughter is going away for college and strangely asked for a desktop for casual gaming CSGO, in addition to her macbook. I have an old build laying around collecting dust so I thought I'll refresh it for her. Here's the spec:i5-2500k sandy brdigeAsus Maximum IV Gene-z...
  3. i5-2500k based PC fresh win10 install stuck w/ BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i5-2500k based PC fresh win10 install stuck w/ BSOD: Ok, my daughter is going away for college and strangely asked for a desktop for casual gaming CSGO, in addition to her macbook. I have an old build laying around collecting dust so I thought I'll refresh it for her. Here's the spec:i5-2500k sandy brdigeAsus Maximum IV Gene-z...
  4. i5-2500k based PC fresh win10 install stuck w/ BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. BSOD w/ fresh Win10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD w/ fresh Win10: Hello all, been having some trouble with Win10 as it's been BSOD often. Had to put it off until recently and I had thought I fixed it with some outdated drivers for my Scarlett 2i4 and some graphic drivers but it has come back in full force. Decided to start fresh with a new...
  6. HP Laptop with fresh clean install of Win10 Home

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HP Laptop with fresh clean install of Win10 Home: I had to do a fresh full install of Win 10 Home 64bit on my HP Laptop Pavilion X360 The install went well and everything is working and now have Win10 Build 19042.928 The only issues are I have a bunch of devices without any drivers. Unable to tell what they are for. Can you...
  7. Fresh win10 install on sshd

in Windows 10 Support
    Fresh win10 install on sshd: I had to do my build over as I was having issue with my firecuda sshd booting or even accepting win 10 after cleaning and formatting and redownloading I reinstalled from usb to the ssd win 10 os this time I got a miracle and with the ssd being the only thing in my bios that...
  8. Looking for tutorial for fresh install of win10 home on new ssd

Looking for tutorial for fresh install of win10 home on new ssd: I looked over the tutorial for custom installation of win 10 but it had many steps about microsoft accounts that I'm not sure are applicable to me. I have a new pc with a brand new ssd (sata) and I have made a bootable usb drive with win10 installation files on it. I'd...
  9. Install Win 10 Pro on New Alienware Laptop w/Home Already Installed

Install Win 10 Pro on New Alienware Laptop w/Home Already Installed: Hi, As the title states I have a brand new Alienware R5-17" laptop that comes with Windows 10 Home installed. It has a 256 SSD and a 1 TB HDD. I have not powered the laptop up yet because I know Windows will want to walk me through a first setup process along with activation....
  10. UAC reverting on Dell laptops fresh install of Win10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UAC reverting on Dell laptops fresh install of Win10: I have a dell laptop that I'm attempting to change the UAC settings on. I have logged in as both a machine admin and a domain admin, changed the setting for UAC to notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer. Then did a reboot. The settings held fine for...